New CO-DC and Corners Coach

From CUSE site:

A dynamic recruiter who has recruited and developed NFL talent, Nick Monroe enters his eighth season with the program and second in his elevated role of Defensive Passing Game Coordinator. He joined the staff in 2016 and served as Syracuse’s secondary coach for two seasons before narrowing his focus to the Orange’s safeties and nickelbacks in 2018 and safeties and rovers in 2020, before taking on his current role this season.

Monroe is known for his elite recruiting ability, bringing in and developing of Andre Cisco (Jacksonville Jaguars), Trill Williams (Miami Dolphins) and Ifeatu Melifonwu (Detroit Lions), the three defensive backs in the Orange’s 2021 NFL Draft Class that all went on to ink rookie contracts with the aforementioned teams.

Sounds great!

Rossi will not be demoted to “co-DC”, further proving the titles are some silly shinanigans.

Sounds great!

Rossi will not be demoted to “co-DC”, further proving the titles are some silly shinanigans.
Its likely meaning is next in line to be DC or OC if the DC or OC leaves or is fired.

You sound like someone that never got the promotion to assistant regional manager.
Think you mean assistant to the regional manager.

But yeah, you see a lot of titles next to coaches on college staffs because it is a way to get guys more money. Everyone on the staff knows their roll and what the pecking order is regardless of what titles are next to a guys name.

Its likely meaning is next in line to be DC or OC if the DC or OC leaves or is fired.
That would make sense, especially in this case. Gotta like the Minnesota ties which will hopefully make him want to stick around until Rossi eventually lands a head coaching gig at some point down the line.

Sounds great!

They matter less operationally but they certainly matter for a resume.

It also gives insight into us, on the outside, of the likely pecking order.

Minnesota native that played cornerback at St Cloud St.

giphy.gif

He seems to be extremely popular from the Cuse fans, they are pretty upset about his leaving. They seem him as their top recruiter.

I guess his nickname is Swag Daddy - do with that what you will.

This seems like a really, really good hire! Love the Rossi connection and the fact he is from Minnesota. Hopefully this is a long-time job for him!

I think many Syracuse fans thought he would be there DC once the previous guy left for Nebraska. But, Cuse went with 72-year old Rocky Long as new DC instead. That likely didn't sit well with Monroe, who watched the QB coach get elevated to permanent OC after the Syracuse OC left for NC State.

Monroe from Mahtomedi.

Sounds like Rossi and Monroe crossed paths, but had no "deep history" together.

That said, this is a great hire.

Here is from Strib article prior to Pinstripe Bowl. This guys is going to be excited to be here:

When the Gophers line up against Syracuse on Dec. 29 in the Pinstripe Bowl, Minnesota's offensive coaching staff will match wits with an Orange assistant that has deep ties to the North Star State.

Nick Monroe, Syracuse's interim defensive coordinator, is a Mahtomedi native who was a four-year letterwinner as a cornerback at St. Cloud State. His father, Marty, was a graduate assistant for the Gophers under coach Jim Wacker in 1994 and '95.

"When I was in junior high, getting into high school, I used to hang out all the time at the Gibson-Nagurski complex,'' Nick Monroe said. "… I've still got a ton of family and a ton of friends back there. In fact, all my people back in the Twin Cities are rocking Syracuse gear this week, and they've already been taking a lot of heat for it, which is kind of cool.''

Monroe, whose usual job is the Orange's safeties coach and defensive passing game coordinator, is temporarily replacing defensive coordinator Tony White, who left to take the same position at Nebraska. Rocky Long will start as Syracuse's D.C. after the bowl game.

"It's a very surreal feeling,'' Monroe said. "It's good to play your home state in the magnitude of Yankee Stadium in the Pinstripe Bowl.''

Monroe, who began his career as secondary coach at Allegheny (Pa.) College in 2002, crossed paths with Gophers defensive coordinator Joe Rossi, who played at Allegheny from 1997-2000 and coached against his alma mater when he was at Thiel College.

"I'm excited for him and the opportunity he's got,'' Rossi said.

nice! this seems like a heck of a hire!

But wait! There must be problems. Coaches leaving. Blah, Blah, Blah.

Monroe is known for his elite recruiting ability, bringing in and developing of Andre Cisco (Jacksonville Jaguars), Trill Williams (Miami Dolphins) and Ifeatu Melifonwu (Detroit Lions), the three defensive backs in the Orange’s 2021 NFL Draft Class that all went on to ink rookie contracts with the aforementioned teams.
Seems qualified

He seems to be extremely popular from the Cuse fans, they are pretty upset about his leaving. They seem him as their top recruiter.

I guess his nickname is Swag Daddy - do with that what you will.
I demand PJ make t-shirts to commemorate this occasion

Think you mean assistant to the regional manager.

But yeah, you see a lot of titles next to coaches on college staffs because it is a way to get guys more money. Everyone on the staff knows their roll and what the pecking order is regardless of what titles are next to a guys name.
Assistant to the traveling secretary!

Nice interview he did pre-Bowl game linked here ( his is after the off. coordinators):

Top Bottom