New Clock Rule Passed

Does shortening the game make you less likely to attend?
Shortening the percentage of time at the stadium I spend actually watching the ball in play is a definite negative. Will this change make me cancel my season tickets? No (at least not this year). If they shortened in so much that there was an average of one possession per team per half, I definitely would not pay for tickets and take the time to drive in, park, tailgate, and walk to the stadium. Somewhere in between those two is the line. The powers that be play a dangerous game when they try to find out exactly how bad they can make a popular product before people stop buying it.

I agree with Alex on this:

I don't like the comparison to the pitch rule in baseball. In baseball, they are reducing the amount of time between action, not the amount of action. The college football change is the opposite. The overall game length will be reduced by reducing the amount of plays (and thus game action).

I don't like the comparison to the pitch rule in baseball. In baseball, they are reducing the amount of time between action, not the amount of action. The college football change is the opposite. The overall game length will be reduced by reducing the amount of plays (and thus game action).
The games are the same amount of time. The amount of plays/action is impacted the most by the pace of the offense, by a long shot. This just changes the strategy. Teams will adjust. Timeout management will become more important.

This was rumored for a long time. As the time spent in commercial breaks and delivering advertisements grew, so did the overall length of the game and once faced with the desire to shorten the game back closer to days gone by, there were options:
1. Shorten halftime and therefore, eliminate marching band performances
2. Dial the advertising back after the time dedicated to it grew so dramatically over the years.
3. Get creative with in-game advertising
4. Shorten the actual football part

Of course they went with #4. The red hat sideline guy will now spend even a larger percentage of the game on the field and it will correspondingly be even more annoying to take the trouble to attend a game in person.

D3 games were played with the same rules and always moved right along and nobody ever complained about the length of those games as they take less time to complete. The red hat is the difference and it is easy to see why D3 fought this.

This rule change sucks and I see it as yet another thumb in the eye of fans that attend games in person.

This was rumored for a long time. As the time spent in commercial breaks and delivering advertisements grew, so did the overall length of the game and once faced with the desire to shorten the game back closer to days gone by, there were options:
2. Dial the advertising back after the time dedicated to it grew so dramatically over the years.
3. Get creative with in-game advertising
4. Shorten the actual football part

Of course they went with #4. The red hat sideline guy will now spend even a larger percentage of the game on the field and it will correspondingly be even more annoying to take the trouble to attend a game in person.

D3 games were played with the same rules and always moved right along and nobody ever complained about the length of those games as they take less time to complete. The red hat is the difference and it is easy to see why D3 fought this.

This rule change sucks and I see it as yet another thumb in the eye of fans that attend games in person.
Honestly don't think it will be a big impact, and they didn't shorten the game. Still 60 minutes of playing time. When those stoppages mean the most, towards the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters, is still in place. Teams will adjust and adapt. I would say in my opinion, more play reviews and lengther injury stoppages have added to the length.

Honestly don't think it will be a big impact, and they didn't shorten the game. Still 60 minutes of playing time. When those stoppages mean the most, towards the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters, is still in place. Teams will adjust and adapt. I would say in my opinion, more play reviews and lengther injury stoppages have added to the length.
Targeting reviews need to be expedited and done by the booth (at least start there but imo it should be all reviews).

The games are the same amount of time. The amount of plays/action is impacted the most by the pace of the offense, by a long shot. This just changes the strategy. Teams will adjust. Timeout management will become more important.
This will be interesting considering PJ's use of the TO. :)

This is dumb, and for our team with PJ milking the clock like he does it’ll really suck. I hate watching the offense stand in place for 20 seconds before every play it makes for a shittier watching experience and I think with even fewer plays to watch now it’ll suck more.

teams have options. If you get a first down and you don't want the clock to run, then a team can hurry up to the line of scrimmage to run a quick play or spike the ball to stop the clock. Or, a team could emphasis sideline plays and try to get out of bounds to stop the clock.

as I noted earlier, the Gophers run, on average, over 20 fewer plays a game compared to up-tempo offenses. that is a choice. the Gopher coaches - at least in the past - have chosen to milk the clock and run fewer plays. we'll see if that changes this year with a new QB and possibly a different offensive approach.

but, if you're a Gopher fan and you want to see more plays run during a game, then take it up with the head coach.

You realize that they haven't waited for the chains for years. They've basically been doing this rule for a number of years and they literally start the clock as soon as the umpire has the ball (6-8 seconds). So why event stop it? They slowed down in the last 2 minutes hence they are keeping that part of the rule. No one will notice a difference and it likely won't shorted games much.
Yeah. This is why it’s so funny when people get mad at running backs for going out of bounds in the third quarter and not running clock

This is dumb, and for our team with PJ milking the clock like he does it’ll really suck. I hate watching the offense stand in place for 20 seconds before every play it makes for a shittier watching experience and I think with even fewer plays to watch now it’ll suck more.
Sort of a catch-22 then...the change actually helps Fleck's tactics because it takes time off the clock for the opposiing offense. A lot of posters wringing their hands over something that won't affect the game much.

For example, I loved college replay 20 years ago. Every play was immediately reviewed by the booth to see if it needed further examination, and 99% of the time it didn't, so play just kept going. If it did, THEY would stop the game and just do the review. Then they switched over to NFL replay....

No they didn't. I've seen you post this multiple times now at various times over the past year.

The college replay system is nothing like the NFL replay system.

The college replay system has not changed. It currently operates exactly as you stated it did 20 years ago. Booth looks at each play and stops play if they think a play needs to be reviewed. That's it. Same as it always has been. A coach can use a timeout to ask for a review if the booth doesn't initiate one. But, that instance is rare.

An NFL review has to be a coach's challenge for most of the game and the coach only gets two reviews per game with some caveats.

They are literally nothing alike.

Last edited:

This is a good change. Change the over zealous replay rules and then we're really onto something. College football games should not be 4 hours long.

Sort of a catch-22 then...the change actually helps Fleck's tactics because it takes time off the clock for the opposiing offense. A lot of posters wringing their hands over something that won't affect the game much.
I agree with you, aesthetics aside, any benefit from the new rule accrues to teams that want fewer plays per game, like Minnesota, and hurts teams that want more plays per game.

No they didn't. I've seen you post this multiple times now at various times over the past year.

The college replay system is nothing like the NFL replay system.

The college replay system has not changed. It currently operates exactly as you stated it did 20 years ago. Booth looks at each play and stops play if they think a play needs to be reviewed. That's it. Same as it always has been. A coach can use a timeout to ask for a review if the booth doesn't initiate one. But, that instance is rare.

An NFL review has to be a coach's challenge for most of the game and the coach only gets two reviews per game with some caveats.

They are literally nothing alike.
NFL has actually started moving more towards college review system. They now have expedited reviews on errors.

I agree with you, aesthetics aside, any benefit from the new rule accrues to teams that want fewer plays per game, like Minnesota, and hurts teams that want more plays per game.
I don't think it really hurts teams that are no huddle up tempo either. They are used to getting up to the line quickly and inside of two minutes in the 2nd and 4th, the clock will stop.

NFL has actually started moving more towards college review system. They now have expedited reviews on errors.
Correct

Which is dumb. Because I liked the old nfl system better.

I don't think it really hurts teams that are no huddle up tempo either. They are used to getting up to the line quickly and inside of two minutes in the 2nd and 4th, the clock will stop.
I agree that it's of minor significance and won't change their pace of play, but if a few extra seconds bleed off the game clock after first downs there will be less total plays run.

This is a long overdue rule change. It remains to be seen whether this will result in shorter games or just more commercials.

This is what I would have chosen, but it would be blasphemy to a certain segment of the fanbase of college football.

-Anyone else that Colorado State game (not sure of the year but it was early in Kill' regime). There were a ton of video reviews. The refs could not make a decision and the delays all seemed to be a minimum of five minutes. Is there now a rule about how long the refs have to make a decision? That game in Ft Collins was too damn long! It did go to OT but the refs were a virtually a "delay of game" machine.

Top Bottom