New Blog from Coach Pitino

Sounds like good news on the non-conference schedule; make your guess

Pitino always writes an interesting blog. Really appreciate that he does this.

Always nice to hear his thoughts on each player, but here is what I most liked hearing:

"We are currently working on completing our non-conference schedule for next year. ... We have a verbal agreement from another Power 5 team to start a series at our place. We will announce that very soon when it's official."

Very interested to hear who the home-and-home opponent is. That means, presumably, if the Gavitt Tipoff game is a home game we'll have two Power 6 opponents (I still consider Big East a power conference) coming to Williams Arena. That would be progress.

Let's all take a guess (only 1 guess allowed) who the opponent will be. I'll start us. ... Oregon State.

My guess for the Big East team we play: Providence.

B1G/ACC challenge: @Georgia Tech.

Power 5 Home/Home: Tennessee

Have a feeling it will be a Texas team - Longhorns would be sweet

Great read, great updates. I like the close:

"I know it seems like we are going through difficult times. We are a lot closer than people think. We will break through very soon. We have to stay positive and stick together. It was just a few years ago Villanova endured a tough season and look at them now. People will doubt us and say we can't win. They will be extremely critical of me. It's quite alright. I deserve it. It's my responsibility to turn this around. Nobody else. The only way to get to where we are going is to do it together. It takes everyone being on board to win the way we all want to win. The support of everyone in this state is what drives us. We want to make our fans proud. Our players and coaching staff want this bad. We will get there!"

Go Gophers!!

I'm going with Boston College, TCU, Washington St, or DePaul.

I'll guess Missouri for the home and home.

Thanks for posting, GG. I like the schedule news and am heartened that he gave a run-down of each returning player. Makes the dreaded rumor less likely to be true, especially in light of the timing?

Singular guesses on the home & home, so far

Home & Home Opponent?
Auburn (Goldy Gopher)
Boston College (golfing18now)
Creighton (alwayswanted2bagopher)
Florida (bemidjigopher)
Georgia (Tim1406)
Iowa State (WanderingGopher)
Kansas State (scools12)
Marquette (Hammer em', Winnipegopher)
Missouri (Cayman)
Oregon State (SelectionSunday, BleedGopher)
Tennessee (shaggith)
Texas (Holf)
Washington State (Otis, Holy Man)

I'm guessing Oregon State for the home and home. We are playing them in football in a home and home, Pomeday may still have a few contacts there.

Go Gophers!!

I appreciate that Pitino is publicly accountable and owns his failures. That's what good leaders do.

The team for the new home and home series will be - Kansas State

Would be very cool with Creighton home & home. That's a road trip I'd probably make. Been to Omaha twice (College World Series & NCAA 1st/2nd round), and was a great time both occasions. Was really impressed with the city, the people. They love their sports.

Said no one that has actually been to Manhattan, KS! :clap:

Go Gophers!!

I'll take a trip to Manhattan, MT ANY.EFFING.TIME! Just to have the Finger Steaks at Sir Scott's Oasis (breaded and fried finger sized chunks of steak)! They are fantastic!

I doubt it's a Big east because of the Gavett challenge and their technically not Power 5. I will go with Florida

Washington State

My takeaway: Buggs has to learn to love the game.

If it hasn't happened yet, it probably won't. It must be hard to be 6'9", long and athletic and not love the game. Ralph Sampson was similar in my view. He just didn't really basketball and his problem was compounded by having such a famous father.

I vote Marquette as the BCS team.

I'll go with Washington State on the home and home. Both conference networks get a game to televise. They are Power 6 but bad. Perfect.

Would like to see Creighton but I think that is high risk. Too good and too many recruiting battles. Omaha is a great city. I'd make the hike if the timing was right.

I'll guess Iowa State. Not as much of a threat for local talent now that hoiberg is gone.

Btw for those guessing Creighton and Marquette, while solid bb programs, those are not "power 5 schools" as Pitino's blog said.

Top Bottom