New block measurement system proposal

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
Watching Reggie block makes me long for a system to measure block quality...have it work a bit like "slugging percentage". I can't stand how people ooh and aah over the demonstrative blocks that swat the ball out of bounds. What Reggie does has more positive impact to his team.

With that said, here is how is works:
- One point for a block that results in the offense retaining possession
- Two points for a block that results in the defense gaining possession
- Three points for a block where the blocker himself recovers the ball

I can't recall a blocker like Reggie who has had such a high number of the second two cases. Those are the ones that don't make ESPN's top 10, but those types contribute much more to the success of the team.

Great idea, just know that it would involve a ton of work. Other advanced stats that would be nice would be, contested rebounds vs uncontested, and contested shots made vs uncontested shots made.

Much more difficult and hence, more praiseworthy to get rebounds when the opponents are fighting for the same rebound vs some of those long rebounds that just land in a players lap, and the same thing for shooting. Some guys can make lots of shots, as long as no one is trying to stop them from making the shot.

cbb is enough of an obsession for some that who knows, maybe someone will do this kind of analysis some day?

Watching Reggie block makes me long for a system to measure block quality...have it work a bit like "slugging percentage". I can't stand how people ooh and aah over the demonstrative blocks that swat the ball out of bounds. What Reggie does has more positive impact to his team.

With that said, here is how is works:
- One point for a block that results in the offense retaining possession
- Two points for a block that results in the defense gaining possession
- Three points for a block where the blocker himself recovers the ball

I can't recall a blocker like Reggie who has had such a high number of the second two cases. Those are the ones that don't make ESPN's top 10, but those types contribute much more to the success of the team.

Bill Russell made a living off of "2 and 3 point" blocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the idea of measuring quality of block but yeah it would be a lot of work to do that. Lynch would probably be a phenominal volleyball player because that is the style of block he has where he goes straight up and doesn't reach on most of his blocks. It is why he is able to get the ball so often or at least keep it in bounds. I am thinking some of this is coached because a lot of the other guys blocks are the same. We don't have guys going for the big highlight block where they send the ball into the stands. Our guys are just contesting shots and doing a good job of timing things to get the block. Has been a ton of fun to watch and track. This years team is going to set a really tough standard for next years group to make a run at. Given that all the shot blockers on the roster are back next year I would expect some similar results next season as well.

Top Bottom