New Assistant- Jeff Mailhot

Welcome back to MN, has been under some good coaches, hopefully can help our program defensively although others will just want to keep MN kids I'm sure.

A guy who's strength is recruiting and from the area seems like a good fit.

RP still just making sure guys his dad doesnt want have a safe landing place! :ROFLMAO:

Now have two relatively younger assistants who’s expertise is pretty specifically recruiting in Lindsted and Mailhot.

I like the local connection, but given on court execution challenges, wouldn’t have minded an X and O guy. Understanding you can’t have it all... cue Thorson talk..

hopefully he can help the offense catch up the defense

Well, at least he's connected to on major AAU program. I'd prefer it to be D1-MN if I got to choose, but he's probably well connected.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet">
Former
#PULLEYHOOPS coach Jeff Mailhot has been hired as an assistant coach at the University of Minnesota. Congratulations Jeff. pic.twitter.com/RyAMZoOZZL
&mdash; Howard Pulley Basketball (@PulleyHoops) May 18, 2020

https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/threads/howard-pulley-rosters.6223/ - Don't recall watching him, but I must of been to seen him in the summer league, I think that was the year they played in the Sal.

Last edited:

So you’re saying it won’t help cement the already stellar U of M/ Minnesota D1 relationship? ?

Lots of good reviews on this hire. I hope this is part of a recognition that local recruiting is an important strategic emphasis. Not sure about his coaching chops; Jeter will be hard to replace from that standpoint.

So you’re saying it won’t help cement the already stellar U of M/ Minnesota D1 relationship? ?

I'm sure they'll be uspet Harris didn't get the job. I hope Malihot is a good teacher and developer first, a good evaluator second, and a good in state spokesman about 17th

Surprised that there is not outrage over Damien Johnson not being hired.
Did he get an interview? Outrage is a common emotion in this day and age so I always expect it. I wasn’t outraged, were you?

Did he get an interview? Outrage is a common emotion in this day and age so I always expect it. I wasn’t outraged, were you?
Not something i do. I always thought he would go for someone with experience in several areas of the job.

Al Nuness chimes in, per Shama:

Former Gophers basketball player and assistant coach Al Nuness praised the news yesterday that Minneapolis native Jeff Mailhot is joining coach Richard Pitino’s staff at Minnesota. Mailhot has a detailed resume of college and high school coaching including at Hopkins where he worked for head man Ken Novak, who probably has produced more Division I standouts than any coach in state history. Nuness knows both Mailhot and Novak, and said the two have a close relationship. “That’s a great hire,” Nuness said.

Go Gophers!!

If Mailhot reels in Brown and Holmgren we could be better than pretty good and he might be assistant coach of the year.

If Mailhot reels in Brown and Holmgren we could be better than pretty good and he might be assistant coach of the year.

Any previous relationship to these guys? That would help. The "we're both from the Great State of Minnesota" thing seems less helpful than a generation ago.

I'm really excited to hear what he does well besides being from MN. I'm not criticizing this hire because I don't know what was available and he seems to be well thought of and has some decent known references. If this is just a try to get MN kids grab than it's not worth it to me.

I'm really excited to hear what he does well besides being from MN. I'm not criticizing this hire because I don't know what was available and he seems to be well thought of and has some decent known references. If this is just a try to get MN kids grab than it's not worth it to me.

Unless he can get them to come, then it is totally worth it. He has a good relationship with the area coaches. Was a high school coach here not that long ago. Has hustled his way up through the JUCO ranks, into D-I, and now high major.

What kind of coach were you thinking Pitino should bring in?

Want an ace recruiter for this position.
If he can contribute in other areas that is gravy. Hopefully this guy can make an impact in recruiting.

Want an ace recruiter for this position.
If he can contribute in other areas that is gravy. Hopefully this guy can make an impact in recruiting.

What's Linsteds purpose then?

Unless he can get them to come, then it is totally worth it. He has a good relationship with the area coaches. Was a high school coach here not that long ago. Has hustled his way up through the JUCO ranks, into D-I, and now high major.

I wanted a coach who is known for being great at teaching team defensive concepts first and foremost. I don't see what the point of bringing in MN kids are if we don't develop them and make kids better. Again I am not ripping this hire, I just want to hear what it is he brings beyond being a "MN" guy that he's known for.

What's Linsteds purpose then?

Not sure. Dont know much about Linsted's strengths and weaknesses.
Seems to me we manage to over perform when our talent gives us a chance ('16-'17 and '18-'19). Gathering talent is the issue.

If we hit on Homlgren or Brown I suspect you'll change your mind.

It was not a position easy to hire into.

Top Bottom