NESN: Minnesota Golden Gophers: All Hype, No Substance?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the DINKS!!

There are college football teams that inspire faith year in and year out. Then, there’s the Minnesota Golden Gophers. While some might argue, the evidence, or lack thereof, speaks volumes. Regardless of the recent match outcomes, one sentiment echoes loudly: this team leaves a lot to be desired.
Let’s not mince words: many believe Minnesota is subpar at best. Head coach PJ Fleck, often touted as the guiding hand, seems underwhelming despite the hype. With claims of being the most overpaid coach in sports, his tenure and decisions have been nothing short of contentious.

What’s deeply alarming is the Gophers’ performance at home. Their slight win over the Nebraska Cornhuskers came against a team that has been bad for years and should’ve been an easy win, but they barely eeked it out. What transpired on the field was anything but easy. Nebraska managed to exert dominance over Minnesota by running the ball. Under Matt Rhule, they stuck to a simple strategy: relentless ground attacks, which the Gophers’ much-hyped defense couldn’t fend off.

The painful truth? The Golden Gophers are miles away from even dreaming about the Big Ten title. Any claims otherwise would be pure delusion. Their track record of participating in less-than-remarkable bowl games only accentuates their mediocrity. Could the Mayonnaise Bowl be their next stop?

Critics argue that Minnesota’s victories, few and far between, often come against teams that barely make a mark in college football. Their most recent encounter felt eerily similar to a mundane Northwestern Rutgers face-off: unimpressive and utterly forgettable.

In essence, buying into the Minnesota hype might be premature. Their performance, riddled with glaring inadequacies, isn’t convincing. They might’ve scraped through yesterday’s game over Nebraska but were lucky to win. If this is a sign of things to come, fans might need to brace themselves for a season of disappointments. The verdict? The Gophers, as it stands, seem more phony than phenomenal.

Go Gophers!!

All of the other laughable bits of this piece aside, I'm really struggling to figure out who this writer thinks is "buying into the Minnesota hype" after the Nebraska game.

This screams AI "journalism"

The sheer randomness of the article's premise. Why pick on the Gophers so much on a New England-focused site after winning a conference game?

The phrasing and cadence, weird generalizations, and glaring factual inaccuracies also scream AI.

Who's been "hyping" the Gophers? Has anyone ever claimed Fleck is the "most overpaid coach in sports"?

My guess is that someone is feeding controversial prompts into the bot to gin up clickbait.

The sheer randomness of the article's premise. Why pick on the Gophers so much on a New England-focused site after winning a conference game?

The phrasing and cadence, weird generalizations, and glaring factual inaccuracies also scream AI.

Who's been "hyping" the Gophers? Has anyone ever claimed Fleck is the "most overpaid coach in sports"?

My guess is that someone is feeding controversial prompts into the bot to gin up clickbait.
First thing I thought was AI too. It isn't attributed to a person as far as I can tell.

It’s definitely AI

I thought the same thing. This was crap even by today's lousy journalism standards.

The rip in the defense is laughable. It’s been very, very good for a number of years. Nebby got a fair amount of yards due to one thing, a QB that ran when there wasn’t anyone to pass to. A couple of the other runs had guys that missed the back by not wrapping up when it would have been a no gain or 1-2 yard loss. I personally didn’t see a run game that was blowing open huge holes that we couldn’t stop.

Definitely AI. The article was filled with generalities and not a whole lot more. I mean....the premise of "all hype" doesn't even make any sense since we were once again chosen to finish 3rd or 4th just in the West once again.

For example, here's what you get when you ask Google Bard to "write a scathing article about Gopher football". Notice the inaccuracies and the lack of details like stats, people, or recent events.

Gopher Football: A Disgrace to the State of Minnesota

The Minnesota Golden Gophers football team is a disgrace to the state of Minnesota. They have been a laughingstock for years, and it's time for a change.

The Gophers have not won a Big Ten title since 1967, and they have only made one bowl game in the past decade. They are consistently one of the worst teams in the conference, and they are a stain on the reputation of Minnesota athletics.

The Gophers' problems are not just on the field. The program is also plagued by scandals and mismanagement. In recent years, the Gophers have been investigated for recruiting violations, and their head coach has been accused of sexual harassment.

It's time for the University of Minnesota to take a hard look at its football program. The Gophers need to clean house and start over. They need to hire a new coach who can turn the program around, and they need to invest in the program so that it can compete with the best teams in the Big Ten.

The Gophers have a long and proud history, but they are currently in a state of disgrace. It's time for the university to take action and restore the Gophers to their former glory.

In addition to the on-field and off-field problems mentioned above, the Gophers also have a serious lack of fan support. The average attendance at Gopher football games has been declining for years, and the stadium is often half-empty. This is a major problem for the program, as it makes it difficult to generate revenue and attract recruits.

The Gophers need to do something to change their image and attract more fans. They need to start winning games, but they also need to improve the game-day experience for fans. They need to make the stadium more affordable and family-friendly, and they need to create a more exciting atmosphere at games.

The Gophers have a lot of work to do, but it's not impossible. If the university is willing to invest in the program and make some changes, the Gophers can turn things around and become a competitive team again.

“Minnesota’s victories, few and far between…” Seriously? Could AI have written something so objectively untrue? I think this had to come from a damaged human mind.

“Minnesota’s victories, few and far between…” Seriously? Could AI have written something so objectively untrue? I think this had to come from a damaged human mind.
It’s definitely AI. That’s the problem with turning our world over to AI.

Agree with the AI theory because this article makes zero sense.

Clue #1 use of the word "match" rather than "game"

I heard the other day from a friend that people are having AI write them foraging guides on edible and poisonous mushrooms and passing it off as legit… Forgive me if I’m not eager to trust the “future of technology” when it can’t get one sentence of this opinion piece right on whether a mushroom I find outdoors will kill me. https://amp.theguardian.com/technol...oks-on-amazon-that-appear-to-be-written-by-ai

Tragic, but the world we live in. AI can create an unimaginable amount of partially true hit pieces on anything w no human intervention. We need news organizations w something along the lines of a no AI used watermark of authenticity. Same for human images and sound bites of people in the media. Until that happens… Next year’s election is going to be a time to ignore all news outside of the long established sources w more to lose from publishing factually incorrect stories.

For example, here's what you get when you ask Google Bard to "write a scathing article about Gopher football". Notice the inaccuracies and the lack of details like stats, people, or recent events.

Gopher Football: A Disgrace to the State of Minnesota

The Minnesota Golden Gophers football team is a disgrace to the state of Minnesota. They have been a laughingstock for years, and it's time for a change.

The Gophers have not won a Big Ten title since 1967, and they have only made one bowl game in the past decade. They are consistently one of the worst teams in the conference, and they are a stain on the reputation of Minnesota athletics.

The Gophers' problems are not just on the field. The program is also plagued by scandals and mismanagement. In recent years, the Gophers have been investigated for recruiting violations, and their head coach has been accused of sexual harassment.

It's time for the University of Minnesota to take a hard look at its football program. The Gophers need to clean house and start over. They need to hire a new coach who can turn the program around, and they need to invest in the program so that it can compete with the best teams in the Big Ten.

The Gophers have a long and proud history, but they are currently in a state of disgrace. It's time for the university to take action and restore the Gophers to their former glory.

In addition to the on-field and off-field problems mentioned above, the Gophers also have a serious lack of fan support. The average attendance at Gopher football games has been declining for years, and the stadium is often half-empty. This is a major problem for the program, as it makes it difficult to generate revenue and attract recruits.

The Gophers need to do something to change their image and attract more fans. They need to start winning games, but they also need to improve the game-day experience for fans. They need to make the stadium more affordable and family-friendly, and they need to create a more exciting atmosphere at games.

The Gophers have a lot of work to do, but it's not impossible. If the university is willing to invest in the program and make some changes, the Gophers can turn things around and become a competitive team again.

How about asking Google Bard to "write a flattering article about Gopher football"?

This guy is reading way too much into a week 1 game. First game of a college football season is weird and always hard to predict. You just need to get the win, stay healthy, and move on to week 2. Even more so when it’s a conference game. Mission accomplished.

How about asking Google Bard to "write a flattering article about Gopher football"?
OK. I asked Bard to "Write an article to hype me about the 2023 Gopher football season"
I now plan to short AI stocks Monday morning.

Row the Boat! The Gophers Are Back

The Minnesota Golden Gophers football team is back in business. After a disappointing 2022 season, the Gophers are looking to bounce back in a big way in 2023.

The Gophers have a lot of reasons to be excited about this season. They have a talented roster, a new offensive coordinator, and a head coach who is hungry to win.

On offense, the Gophers will be led by new quarterback Tanner Morgan. Morgan is a transfer from Iowa, where he was a two-year starter. He is a dual-threat quarterback who can make plays with his arm and his legs.

The Gophers also have a strong running game, led by Mohamed Ibrahim. Ibrahim is a two-time All-Big Ten running back who is coming off a season where he rushed for over 1,000 yards.

The Gophers' defense is also a strength. They are led by linebacker Mariano Sori-Marin, who was named a preseason All-Big Ten selection. Sori-Marin is a tackling machine who is always around the ball.

The Gophers have a tough schedule in 2023, but they have the talent to compete with anyone. If they can stay healthy and execute, they could be a dark horse in the Big Ten.

So get ready to Row the Boat, Gopher fans! The season is about to start.

Here are some specific reasons to be excited about the Gophers in 2023:

• The Gophers return 10 starters from last season, including Morgan, Ibrahim, and Sori-Marin. This gives them a lot of experience and leadership.
  • The Gophers have a new offensive coordinator in Kirk Ciarrocca. Ciarrocca is a former Penn State offensive coordinator who has a reputation for developing quarterbacks.
  • The Gophers have a favorable schedule. They only have two games against ranked opponents (Ohio State and Wisconsin).
  • The Gophers are playing at home for the first time in the season opener against Nebraska. This is a big opportunity for them to make a statement.
The Gophers are not the favorites to win the Big Ten in 2023, but they have the potential to be a surprise team. If they can stay healthy and play their best football, they could make some noise in the conference.

So get excited, Gopher fans! The season is about to start. Row the Boat!

Clue #1 use of the word "match" rather than "game"
Shhh.....don't teach the AI how we can tell it is AI because then it will learn and evolve and become harder to detect..... :)

OK. I asked Bard to "Write an article to hype me about the 2023 Gopher football season"
I now plan to short AI stocks Monday morning.

Row the Boat! The Gophers Are Back

Here are some specific reasons to be excited about the Gophers in 2023:

Thanks! As far as accuracy it's right on par with the O.P. :drink:

It is hard to deny the BIG conference record under Flecki is average at best and not winning the weak West at least once is a C grade.

It is hard to deny the BIG conference record under Flecki is average at best and not winning the weak West at least once is a C grade.
Good lord you just can't help yourself can you....

Fleck's conference record over the past 3 full seasons is very good, especially for Minnesota which has not had much success in the 50+ years of football prior to his arrival.

Dude your team is playing today....why are you on Gopherhole?

Top Bottom