Nelson named "biggest sleeper" recruit in the nation by Tom Lemming

Could this be the kid who helps turn this program around? Again I say yes. Nice to hear a local kid doing well nationally. Congrats!

Can't wait for Friday when I'll see him live for the first time!

Yes, lets put lofty expectations on another 17-18 year old kid. . . #Maresh

I think Nelson has face much more pressure than a group of Gopherholers talking about how excited they are to have him in their program. In fact, if that amount of pressure "got to him", I wouldn't like his prospects of ever being a Big 10 QB.

I think Nelson has face much more pressure than a group of Gopherholers talking about how excited they are to have him in their program. In fact, if that amount of pressure "got to him", I wouldn't like his prospects of ever being a Big 10 QB.

+1 We're allowed to be excited. We're allowed to be optimistic.

I'm thrilled to have him and see what he can do, but it will take more than 1 player or even 1 recruiting class to turn the program around.

Call me cynical, but I refuse to get too amped until his signature is on the dotted line.

Call me cynical, but I refuse to get too amped until his signature is on the dotted line.

Yep, I hear you. I'm about as cynical as they come as well. Luckily for us, Nelson plans on enrolling in January (6 weeks away). So we don't have to wait as long.

I would be more impressed if he was actually facing decent competition...the first solid team they played all year (SSP) was doing a great job against him until Sura went down and they couldn't keep their offense on the field. Color me skeptical at this point. Again...he faces a below average defense this week. Hill is decent...but they haven't played much in terms of offense this year, and when they did STA put a 42-7 beat down on them.

JackiO....I'd watch this week. They play Bemidji this week. You're right about Hill, but Hill Murray is on the other side of the bracket.

Bemidji is an undefeated team and probably the best teams they will face all season. Bemidji is 11-0, have held 6 teams to a TD or less (another 3 to 2 TDs or less). They have a good defense. Again, it might be difficult tto ascertain how good he really is because Bemidji (despite how good they've been), haven't faced anyone like Nelson this year.

Bemidji had their way with a good Spring Lake Park team (Spring Lake Park played Totino tougher than they played Bemidji). So you're going to see Nelson against a talented team if you tune in tomorrow for that game.

JackiO pessimistic about a Gopher recruit? That's so uncharacteristic of him.

I bet Philip Nelson would be the greatest QB ever if Notre Dame were recruiting him.

JackiO pessimistic about a Gopher recruit? That's so uncharacteristic of him.

I bet Philip Nelson would be the greatest QB ever if Notre Dame were recruiting him.

And that would have never happened since they will be landing the #1 qb recruit in the nation. :) Plus, I have good reason to be pessimistic. Mn doesn't produce much football talent, and when they do and MN lands them..well look how that has turned out.

You are correct, and I will go with a Bemidji victory. I seem to remember them playing Wayzata or Eden Prarie tough last year and they are undoubtedly underrated by the Twin Cities media. Also, that severely angers me, as I was looking forward to hill getting a beat down.

Does Notre Dame even still have a football team? Talk about a team that's underachieved...

You are correct, and I will go with a Bemidji victory. I seem to remember them playing Wayzata or Eden Prarie tough last year and they are undoubtedly underrated by the Twin Cities media. Also, that severely angers me, as I was looking forward to hill getting a beat down.

You are confusing Bemidji & Brainerd.

Are you sure you aren't talking about Brainerd, who beat EP in State last year?

Yeah, Hill has had an easy stroll to the semi-finals.

I don't know what to think about Bemidji. They are a good team but Nelson is a really good. I'm about as much of a big school / metro snob as there is, but Nelson is pretty impressive.

If anyone gets a chance, I really do suggest tuning into that game online tomorrow...

Yeah, Hill has had an easy stroll to the semi-finals.

I don't know what to think about Bemidji. They are a good team but Nelson is a really good. I'm about as much of a big school / metro snob as there is, but Nelson is pretty impressive.

If anyone gets a chance, I really do suggest tuning into that game online tomorrow...

Although believe me, even though Mahtomedi is having a down year I was at the hill/maht game and the Zephyrs had that game won. They were driving while looking unstoppable and on the 5 yard line with 45 seconds to go they fumbled it.

Yes, I realize it was Brainerd now so I am not sure what to think of Bemidji's chances. Mankato will probably win. It would be interesting to see Nelson play a lake conference or even classic suburban schedule though. Simply put he is just not tested much in his conference or section. Against Mahtomedi last year when the Zephs won, Dan Ferazzo definitely out played him.

Although believe me, even though Mahtomedi is having a down year I was at the hill/maht game and the Zephyrs had that game won. They were driving while looking unstoppable and on the 5 yard line with 45 seconds to go they fumbled it.

Yes, I realize it was Brainerd now so I am not sure what to think of Bemidji's chances. Mankato will probably win. It would be interesting to see Nelson play a lake conference or even classic suburban schedule though. Simply put he is just not tested much in his conference or section. Against Mahtomedi last year when the Zephs won, Dan Ferazzo definitely out played him.

Ahh but my Pioneers beat the Zephyr's twice. And both were completely due to turnovers. Faribault was actually as talented as HM in the state quarterfinals, they just turned it over a ton. Hill has a very good defense and a fairly average offense. As I said in the other thread, I like their chances against Rocori, but think Mankato West will squash them. I'm all for a first public school state title for my Pioneers though. Even if it comes with a former Badger as head coach...

Ahh but my Pioneers beat the Zephyr's twice. And both were completely due to turnovers. Faribault was actually as talented as HM in the state quarterfinals, they just turned it over a ton. Hill has a very good defense and a fairly average offense. As I said in the other thread, I like their chances against Rocori, but think Mankato West will squash them. I'm all for a first public school state title for my Pioneers though. Even if it comes with a former Badger as head coach...

I agree this year Hill has a solid D, but next year Mahtomedi is going to be very tough. All of their studs this year were sophomores and juniors and the sophmore class beat Totino and STA. When you lose Ferazzo, Tommy and Braddock it's bound to be a tough year when you don't have the enrollment sizes like e.p or Wayzata.

I do not know much about Rocori but they beat Rogers, and Rogers was really solid this year. In fact they almost shut them out which was eye opening to me. I think that could be a trap game, definitely.

As a Mahtomedi kid myself, that's good to hear. For a smaller school, we've done quite well at various sports over the years.

bemidji has throttled brainerd the last 2 seasons. bemidji does play a weak section but they are a very good team all around. bemidji knocks off west 28-21

Bemidji lost to Branierd last season (2010) 33-28.

They both have good programs though.

I agree this year Hill has a solid D, but next year Mahtomedi is going to be very tough. All of their studs this year were sophomores and juniors and the sophmore class beat Totino and STA. When you lose Ferazzo, Tommy and Braddock it's bound to be a tough year when you don't have the enrollment sizes like e.p or Wayzata.

I do not know much about Rocori but they beat Rogers, and Rogers was really solid this year. In fact they almost shut them out which was eye opening to me. I think that could be a trap game, definitely.

Mahtomedi moves up to 5A next year and Hill stays 4A and moves into SSP's section who beat HM in a close game this year (in conference).

Anyone know who any of his previous sleepers were? Would be curious to know if anyone else that has won this award has become a household name.

Anyone know who any of his previous sleepers were? Would be curious to know if anyone else that has won this award has become a household name.
I was curious about this too.

Nelson's the real deal. To put up those numbers the way he did, he has to be considered as one of the top quarterbacks in the nation. Can't wait to see that kid in maroon & gold. Although, I think Shortell will start his Junior and Senior year. Hopefully by the time Nelson is starting this program will already be turned around.

Mahtomedi is a powerhouse program, look for them in the coming years. Go Gophs.

Top Bottom