Nelson Could Have Beat Michigan

MNGopher3409

Reaction score
Clearly, Nelson does not fumble our first seven points away and deos not throw a pick 6. Those are basic mistakes. Nelson would have found more downfield open WR giving us a chance to score more than field goal. At this point, the game is up for grabs. Nelson is a much better qb than Gardner and it comes out in the 4 th qtr. I know there are many that realize this. Too bad he wasn't healthy enough to play.

I agree that Nelson is a better quarter back than Gardner. But that doesn't take much, there's no one named Gardner on the roster. What's the point of comparing Nelson to a QB who couldn't even make the roster?

Clearly, Nelson does not fumble our first seven points away and deos not throw a pick 6. Those are basic mistakes. Nelson would have found more downfield open WR giving us a chance to score more than field goal. At this point, the game is up for grabs. Nelson is a much better qb than Gardner and it comes out in the 4 th qtr. I know there are many that realize this. Too bad he wasn't healthy enough to play.

Hi Philip, to quip Kipling- keep your head while others are losing theirs. be steady-be ready. your time will come.

There isn't a DI coach in the country who would trade Gardner for Nelson. By the end of the season Leidner will have a firm grasp on the Gopher's QB job.

Hi Philip, to quip Kipling- keep your head while others are losing theirs. be steady-be ready. your time will come.

Be fair, if you look at his posts. There are at least 3-4 of them that don't involve Nelson.

I really hope that Kill and Limegrove will live up to their earlier statements and use both quarterbacks. I could see that being more effective - throwing a change-of-pace at the defense. But, it hinges on Nelson being healthy and able to run. If Nelson cannot or will not run, then you're tipping your hand to the defense.

I'm not saying you rotate every series, but gauge what the defense is doing, and try to pick spots where each QB can be effective. And if one guy gets hot, let him roll with it.

At this point Leidner is making better decisions then Nelson. He's calmer and makes better throws. He does make freshman mistakes because of inexperience. The way Leidner runs Nelson will get another chance he just needs to be ready.

At this point Leidner is making better decisions then Nelson. He's calmer and makes better throws. He does make freshman mistakes because of inexperience. The way Leidner runs Nelson will get another chance he just needs to be ready.

It seems to me that the type of offense's that Nelson and Leidner have run have been somewhat different. Nelson seems to get more complicated reads and pass patterns when he is out there. On the flip side, to comment about Mitch's decision making, Leidner has had routes and reads that are not exceedingly difficult to make, the majority of the time. The packages of plays that each QB has run, as far as the passing game seems to be night and day, IMO. But, Mitch has made the most of his opportunity when Phillip has been hurt and is not playing to the higher standards that most of us expect from him. I just want someone to seperate themselves from the pack so we can just settle on knowing who are starter is, week in, week out. I just do not think Mitch has quite done that, just yet.

I thought we were talking about Gardner? We can all agree Gardner sucks. Gardner couldn't even be bothered to exist. :clap:

Not likely. Devin Gardner hit 75% of his passes against us and is a much better QB at this stage than Nelson, who may be a better runner than Leidner, who is a better passer than Nelson. After 11 or 12 games, Nelson is a .500 passer and doesn't move the team as well as Leidner. I hate to see either Gopher QB running so much, and would rather see Leidner as a pocket passer in a play-action offense - who can scramble if necessary - but that isn't Kill's offense.

It seems to me that the type of offense's that Nelson and Leidner have run have been somewhat different. Nelson seems to get more complicated reads and pass patterns when he is out there. On the flip side, to comment about Mitch's decision making, Leidner has had routes and reads that are not exceedingly difficult to make, the majority of the time. The packages of plays that each QB has run, as far as the passing game seems to be night and day, IMO. But, Mitch has made the most of his opportunity when Phillip has been hurt and is not playing to the higher standards that most of us expect from him. I just want someone to seperate themselves from the pack so we can just settle on knowing who are starter is, week in, week out. I just do not think Mitch has quite done that, just yet.

noticed this also. appears coaches give leidner one read and tell him if its not there, tuck it. i mean how many times did he just throw it up to maxx? although i'll take maxx in that matchup any day

Not likely. Devin Gardner hit 75% of his passes against us and is a much better QB at this stage than Nelson, who may be a better runner than Leidner, who is a better passer than Nelson. After 11 or 12 games, Nelson is a .500 passer and doesn't move the team as well as Leidner. I hate to see either Gopher QB running so much, and would rather see Leidner as a pocket passer in a play-action offense - who can scramble if necessary - but that isn't Kill's offense.

I thought the OP got Leidner's name wrong, and called him Gardner. It never occurred to me that he was saying Nelson was better than Michigan's QB, but you're right, that's what he's saying.

This is what blind irrational homers actually believe.

Nelson's Mom Could Have Used Grammar Gooder

Been here since 2011 with only 27 posts & decided to waste your 28th on this? Ok...

noticed this also. appears coaches give leidner one read and tell him if its not there, tuck it. i mean how many times did he just throw it up to maxx? although i'll take maxx in that matchup any day

Exactly. It seems like Nelson gets more of the playbook, albeit the limited amount of it that we have seen so far this season. Maybe, on a couple of pass plays they have asked Mitch to make multiple reads, but on the vast majority of occasions, it seems like it's a "Hey, if your #1 isn't open, take off" scenario.

Gardner is not a good passer he threw so many bally behind the receivers, scUM had the talent to make him look better, doubt anyone not named Maxx Williams would be good enough to bail him out

Gardner is not a good passer he threw so many bally behind the receivers, scUM had the talent to make him look better, doubt anyone not named Maxx Williams would be good enough to bail him out

This may be a tangent, but MinneStoa and I were watching the game together on Saturday. We both like the "xx" spelling of Maxx, and Stoa suggested that we name him "dos equis" (Spanish for 2X, and also the name of a popular beer for anyone who doesn't watch the most interesting man in the world commercials). Can we get that to catch on?

This may be a tangent, but MinneStoa and I were watching the game together on Saturday. We both like the "xx" spelling of Maxx, and Stoa suggested that we name him "dos equis" (Spanish for 2X, and also the name of a popular beer for anyone who doesn't watch the most interesting man in the world commercials). Can we get that to catch on?

Why are we looking for a pocket passer when we had one last year?

There's something about Nelson's throwing motion that looks awkward. Leidner looks to deliver a better ball, but I've never coached so I wouldn't know.

I think Nelson could have beaten Michigan if they would have allowed him to carry a gun and shoot Wolverines on running plays.

Nelson better than Devin Gardner? Have a nice time in rehab.

I mean did you even watch the Iowa game. Nelson had so many opportunities to make play such as having many receivers wide open either on a short route or a deep route down field. The way Leidner looked against Michigan he seemed way more calm and made better decisions and seemed to me he could have made most of those passes although he somewhat missed D Jones down field but at least it to him and not way over his head. He is more accurate and can see the field better period unless Nelson gets healthy and proves to me and this great state that the Iowa game was a big goof.

I agree with the original poster completely (assuming we're talking about Admiral Horatio Nelson).

welcome Mrs. Nelson!!! Philip needs to translate his practice confidence into game confidence!!! Still hoping that he makes that transition

The Gopher's best receiver, Maxx Williams, doubled his reception total for the year against Michigan. Leidner is head and shoulders above Nelson right now.

Nelson

Nelson couldn't get it done against a less talented Iowa team. Are we all going to fall n love with whatever qb isnt playing? We are getting dominated at the line of scrimage against the big ten so far. Our qb's have to run. Without Leidner's runs we rushed for 70 yards at 3 yards per carry. We have lost what 20 of 21 against Michigan? Let Leidner play and gain experience. In four years he could be pretty darn good. Will we ever be able to recruit at a top 10 level like Michigan and Ohio St? It is very doubtfull. I would take Iowa/Wisconsin level which is maybe top 30 though. I think it's possibe to get there. You can coach that kind of talent up to get an upset now and then.

Top Bottom