Need help in choosing a U of M tailgate tent and Flag Pole

GopherJack

Reaction score
Our group is making the trek to Fort Collins in September, and plan on tailgating. My brother is looking to buy a tent and also the "under tire" flag pole. He asked me to ask the GH gang for suggestions on a good tent and flag pole.

Pictures and web page links would help too.

Thanks!

http://www.telescopingflagpoles.com/

Spend the $$ and don't be cheap about it. I bought mine 10 years ago. The telescoping pole plus the RV tire mount. The original should do fine, so you're probably looking at a $350-$400 investment total when it's all said & done, but you'll be happy with it.

I have the same as Dave. 100% reliable. I love it!

I have one of the "cheaper" flag poles and while it does the job I agree that it isn't the best. The advantage to mine is I can fly up to 3 flag (and have) but I have to fly it lower on windy days. I only use it 7 days a year and if I get 7-8 years out of it I will be happy. I'm on 2 years and going strong.

I think there are a couple options for tents and as far as I've seen they are similar but with different designs on the tent itself. I do have a couple tips going in. 1) Get good weights. One of the windy games two years ago the tents were flying everywhere. A few in lot 37 were damaged beyond repair. There are a couple options. Some people have plates (Think weights used for lifting) that can go on the legs of the tent legs but I'm not sure how they get that to work. They look pretty slick and it seems like those tents are held down well. 2) There are sand bag weights like these. I have something similar and like them, but I do strap them to my tent to make sure it's not going anywhere.

My group will also be looking to tailgate in Fort Collins. We should decide on a lot that GH will all try to buy in.

I remember the Air Force game was really windy. I've never seen more tents destroyed on day one of using them than that day at the fairgrounds. I agree with what's said above, make sure you either use the tent on calm days or weigh it down with weights. Once it gets bent up it won't fold back up again. That said, we used ours for 4 straight years and mostly without weights and never had a problem...

http://www.telescopingflagpoles.com/

Spend the $$ and don't be cheap about it. I bought mine 10 years ago. The telescoping pole plus the RV tire mount. The original should do fine, so you're probably looking at a $350-$400 investment total when it's all said & done, but you'll be happy with it.

I have had this one since TCF opened. Many people come by and say it looks great. I can fly two flags and a windsock. It has flown for every game and I don't worry about the wind conditions. You can't go wrong with this purchase.

I'll add that the flagpole mentioned above is of great quality. Mine is ground sleeve mounted for home use and is up year round in all sorts of conditions. Its seen some pretty nasty gusts and sustained winds but has always come through without issue. I've always told myself that if I ever purchased a tailgate spot, I would buy the tire mount and bring it along.

I have the following weights for my tent and they work awesome!

http://smile.amazon.com/Quik-Shade-...8&qid=1431366568&sr=8-4&keywords=tent+weights

Not sure you can't find them cheaper, seems to me I paid less than that, but then again I know I got them from Amazon...

We got our tent as a wedding present in 2008. Not sure how many games it has left, but it has served us well. It is similar to all the other ones you see out there, though I don't see the exact model. I don't know that any of those licensed ones are better than the others. Some of the unlicensed ones are better and worse, but if you want a U of M one there isn't a lot of choices.

I have one of the "cheaper" flag poles and while it does the job I agree that it isn't the best. The advantage to mine is I can fly up to 3 flag (and have) but I have to fly it lower on windy days. I only use it 7 days a year and if I get 7-8 years out of it I will be happy. I'm on 2 years and going strong.

I think there are a couple options for tents and as far as I've seen they are similar but with different designs on the tent itself. I do have a couple tips going in. 1) Get good weights. One of the windy games two years ago the tents were flying everywhere. A few in lot 37 were damaged beyond repair. There are a couple options. Some people have plates (Think weights used for lifting) that can go on the legs of the tent legs but I'm not sure how they get that to work. They look pretty slick and it seems like those tents are held down well. 2) There are sand bag weights like these. I have something similar and like them, but I do strap them to my tent to make sure it's not going anywhere.

My group will also be looking to tailgate in Fort Collins. We should decide on a lot that GH will all try to buy in.

a tent of ours came with little plates that slid over the bottom of the tent foot and anchored it down. That lets us put the weights on it. we have a combination of 35 lb disc weights and a bunch of the block weights from an old machine that we found broken. They are easy to stack in your tailgate pack and work really well.

this is what the plates look like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-EZ-UP-Add-a-weight-Anchor-System-Metal-Plates-/350474165904

Top Bottom