Need guidance regarding streaming tv and sports

U2Gopher

Reaction score
So I was a DirecTV subscriber for over 10 years. Sold my home in the country and moved to town. Long story short, can’t get DirecTV or Dish at new residence. While local cable does carry BIG10 network, I can’t get the MLB season package nor the NHL center ice package. What options are available via streaming where I can get MLB and NHL packages along with Big10? I’m paying way too much for this local cable and can’t watch what I really want. I’m a total novice about streaming so talk down to me about please. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

You might be in luck. It looks like MLB and NHL offer their own, standalone streaming apps and subscriptions. So you wouldn't need any live TV subscription to get them.

Check out:
https://www.nhl.com/subscribe
https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/subscribe/offseason

For Big Ten Network, I think you have to subscribe to live TV to get the main channel content. They do offer a standalone service called BTN+, but I don't think that gives you access to the main content, just smaller matches/other sports (volleyball, etc.). So one option would be YouTubeTV, for example.

Thanks so much for your help! I’ll check it out

Thanks so much for your help! I’ll check it out
If you do get YouTubeTV, I think it comes with the MLB and NHL channels. So you might be able to use your login on those MLB and NHL apps. Not sure, worth a shot to ask about.

You might be in luck. It looks like MLB and NHL offer their own, standalone streaming apps and subscriptions. So you wouldn't need any live TV subscription to get them.

Check out:
https://www.nhl.com/subscribe
https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/subscribe/offseason

For Big Ten Network, I think you have to subscribe to live TV to get the main channel content. They do offer a standalone service called BTN+, but I don't think that gives you access to the main content, just smaller matches/other sports (volleyball, etc.). So one option would be YouTubeTV, for example.
Keep in mind, local teams are blacked out on the MLB and NHL apps though...We've reached a point it's much easier to follow your teams if you live 1,000 miles away than it is if you live 6 miles from the stadium.

So I was a DirecTV subscriber for over 10 years. Sold my home in the country and moved to town. Long story short, can’t get DirecTV or Dish at new residence. While local cable does carry BIG10 network, I can’t get the MLB season package nor the NHL center ice package. What options are available via streaming where I can get MLB and NHL packages along with Big10? I’m paying way too much for this local cable and can’t watch what I really want. I’m a total novice about streaming so talk down to me about please. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
If you're local, your best bets are AT&T Now (essentially the streaming version of DirecTV) or cable. If you're not local, then as Mpls suggests, subsribing to the streaming package of each league might suffice. You'll still get blacked out whenever they play whoever the local team is.

Just switched from YouTube TV because they don’t carry RSNs.

I went with Xfinity. They have their own streaming device you can rent. I don’t rent any of their equipment but I have them as an internet provider. I used Roku for the app.

B1G Network is part of the regular package programming and NHL Center Ice and MLB Extra Innings are offered as add ons.

AT&T Now (essentially the streaming version of DirecTV)
FYI - AT&T Now is no longer taking new subscribers. Existing subscribers are having their agreements honored, but are being folded into the new brand going forward "AT&T TV".

https://arstechnica.com/information...led-tv-service-formerly-known-as-directv-now/

Looks like AT&T TV includes a "Regional Sports Fee", regardless if you sign up for contract pricing or month-to-month. So who knows, maybe we've come full circle and are back to the crappy old Comcast being the best option for folks who have to have FSN?? :(

You'll still get blacked out whenever they play whoever the local team is.
Do you know if they designate a "local" team for every zip code, regardless how far away to the nearest pro team?

Just switched from YouTube TV because they don’t carry RSNs.

I went with Xfinity. They have their own streaming device you can rent. I don’t rent any of their equipment but I have them as an internet provider. I used Roku for the app.

B1G Network is part of the regular package programming and NHL Center Ice and MLB Extra Innings are offered as add ons.
I know folks down in Dakota County suburbs who have Charter, and they too have the ability to use Roku to login with a "Charter app" that mimics the experience of having a cable box. They say it works pretty well, so long as their internet isn't acting up (Charter is also their ISP, so "no surprise" it sometimes "acts up").

I am often reminded of how lucky I am to have access to a third-party ISP. In South Mpls, a lot of folks are able to sign up for USI Fiber, who is painstakingly going neighborhood by neighborhood in the city to physically build a brand new network of fiber optic cables. I have no idea how they make money. Must be subsidized and their investors must be looking long term.

Every city and county in the state should be [state] constitutionally guaranteed such access!

FYI - AT&T Now is no longer taking new subscribers. Existing subscribers are having their agreements honored, but are being folded into the new brand going forward "AT&T TV".

https://arstechnica.com/information...led-tv-service-formerly-known-as-directv-now/

Looks like AT&T TV includes a "Regional Sports Fee", regardless if you sign up for contract pricing or month-to-month. So who knows, maybe we've come full circle and are back to the crappy old Comcast being the best option for folks who have to have FSN?? :(

Do you know if they designate a "local" team for every zip code, regardless how far away to the nearest pro team?
I know MLB does. And some are "local" to multiple teams. In some cases obvious (NYC and LA) and some not. There are some parts of Iowa that are "local" to the Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals AND Brewers. So if you subscribe to MLB.TV, they are ALL blacked out. This makes no sense obviously but as far as I know, they've never fixed it. There are other places with this issue, but Iowa is the worst.

I live in southwest part of Georgia so I don’t have to worry about local blackouts of Wild games. Twins when they play the Braves, possibly. In either case, sounds like the ROKU with individual subscriptions to Center Ice and Extra Innings is my best bet. I appreciate all of the feedback. Y’all are the best!!

Top Bottom