Nebraska's heartbreaking loss has a familiar ring to Gopher fans

hungan1

Reaction score
Strangely, I had mixed emotions about the Nebraska loss. I wanted them to lose because that is one more loss separation in the B1G West race. Nebraska looks better than it has ever been despite losing four games this year. There is a battle for second place in the division. The Gophers will face a tough angry Nebraska team next weekend. They better bring their A-game. This is Big Ten Football.

1633871902327.png

On the other hand, we all know what heartbreak is after a Michigan loss. The Gopher's 2015 Hallowing Day 29-26 loss to Michigan is seared into my memory. Jerry Kill had announced his retirement earlier in the week. A Michigan win would have been a nice send-off. Gopher and Nebbie fans are kindred spirits.

Gopher Football Schedule:

1633873587685.png

Last edited:

I was pulling for Nebraska. I enjoy seeing Michigan lose no matter who they are playing. Ditto for Ohio State.

Oklahoma's walkoff win v. Texas is much more akin to a Gopher loss than Nebraska's loss last night.

It is a damning indictment of Glen Mason and his 4th quarter time management that the 2015 loss to Michigan doesn't even move the misery meter.

Strangely, I had mixed emotions about the Nebraska loss. I wanted them to lose because that is one more loss separation in the B1G West race. Nebraska looks better than it has ever been despite losing four games this year. There is a battle for second place in the division. The Gophers will face a tough angry Nebraska team next weekend. They better bring their A-game. This is Big Ten Football.

View attachment 14734

On the other hand, we all know what heartbreak is after a Michigan loss. The Gopher's 2015 Hallowing Day 29-26 loss to Michigan is seared into my memory. Jerry Kill had announced his retirement earlier in the week. A Michigan win would have been a nice send-off. Gopher and Nebbie fans are kindred spirits.

View attachment 14738
Gopher and Nebbie fans are kindred spirits

View attachment 14734

View attachment 14738
If Nebraska and Gopher fans are kindred, they are like 8th cousins. Nebraska sports fans are rabid fans of one program: Cornhusker football. MN fans are diluted by the Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves, Wild, Gopher hockey, WNBA, and Going Up North. No comparison between the two programs in terms of fan and media attention

Agree Hungan Nebbie is probably a little less fragile emotionally than earlier this season.

Kind of a "duh" statement but here goes anyway...extremely important the "good" Gophers D and kicking game is on the field next Saturday morning. Have no idea what offense is going to show up but hard to see us putting up the points we did against OH-IO State.

I was rooting for Nebbie too until they lost, which was just fine. It seems like Martinez has his name all over a lot of what's been wrong under Frost. That fumble was brutal in a hundred ways.

Someone please chase down that fan blog link...may go looking for it myself. Hope the guy is alive.

I have no empathy for the Huskers. It’s kind of amusing their D is still referred to as the “Blackshirts” (and yes, if we labor on O next week - that’ll be more on us).

Oklahoma's walkoff win v. Texas is much more akin to a Gopher loss than Nebraska's loss last night.

It is a damning indictment of Glen Mason and his 4th quarter time management that the 2015 loss to Michigan doesn't even move the misery meter.
Are you referring to the Tracy Claeys stupefying loss, or the 2003 Mason collapse? If saying that one obscures the other, I disagree. Both maybe 2 of the worst. Dorsch FG in dome up there, too.

Last edited:

If Nebraska and Gopher fans are kindred, they are like 8th cousins. Nebraska sports fans are rabid fans of one program: Cornhusker football. MN fans are diluted by the Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves, Wild, Gopher hockey, WNBA, and Going Up North. No comparison between the two programs in terms of fan and media attention
Both football fans experienced a heartbreaking close loss to Michigan.

Got it...

This one's short at 4 minutes...pretty funny at 2:30 or or so...

Also notes they'd better beat the hell out of Minnesota...

Great point. Hadn't even thought about the bolded. But definitely another distraction from Gopher Football.

Are you referring to the Tracy Claeys stupefying loss, or the 2003 Mason collapse? If saying that one obscures the other, I disagree. Both maybe 2 of the worst. Dorsch FG in dome up there, too.
2003 is the worst of the worst, but I'm not limiting this to games against Michigan. 99 NC State, 05 Wisconsin, 05 Virginia, 01 Purdue, and the Insight Bowl fiasco. In light of all that, 2015 Michigan is small potatoes.

Nebraska is better than they’ve ever been?

did I read that right?

Nebraska is better than they’ve ever been?

did I read that right?
Until they shoot themselves in the foot. They are a complete team both offensively and defensively.

Until they shoot themselves in the foot. They are a complete team both offensively and defensively.
Nebraska has its best team in many years - played Oklahoma, Michigan State and Michigan even on offense and defense. Their weak spot has been special teams. They will be tough to beat Saturday if they come here angry (we are a program and coaching staff Frost doesn't like). If they are flat, Gophers could win if they open up the air game. Will be tough to run against them, especially with our top two runners out.

I feel like we have enough heart breaking losses that we don't need to use other teams such losses to wallow in ours again.... :(

Top Bottom