Nebraska vs Minnesota Post Game Thread

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
Minnesota wins 24-17! Minnesota now has a 5-5 record against the Huskers since Nebraska joined the Big Ten and leads the Chair series 4-3 since it started in 2014.

Hope to see the Gophers pull the lead in the future.

Is Morgan okay with these hits I’m reading about that were helmet to helmet on him? Otherwise it was a great and unexpected win!

If THAT was not targeting, nothing is.
A definite targeting and if the Gophers D would have hit a sliding Martinez like NB hit Tanner I think they would have called that one as well.

FANTASTIC performance all around. A+ to the coaches for having these guys prepared and solid grades for both O and D

GOOD
  • OL! Down multiple starters and starting a true Frosh, the pass pro was some of the best we've seen in recent years. Running game was just good enough for most of the game, but that last drive was vintage.
  • Coaching. 6 man OL was effective despite being FAR down the depth chart. Many new formations including the two RB set in the first half. Forcing Neb to throw on O...and Martinez wasn't up to the task.
  • DEFENSE! Shutting down the run (minus one chunk play). Forcing two turnovers. Boye Mafe! And my goodness, outside defenders setting an edge...it was like night and day from the first two weeks. HUGE strides.
  • Morgan was studly. 4 drops (3 very egregious) hurt his stats, but he was throwing darts all day. One horrible throw he tried to force to CAB, but other than that he was finding the open guy.
  • Ibrahim. Always.
  • ST didn't screw anything up! All kicks were good, coverage was solid. Howard tried to screw up on the PR, but it didn't end up hurting the team.
  • 4th quarter O. I'm sure many GHers were happy to see Sanford throw as much as they did in the 4th quarter, including the first 3 plays. Ballsy to start the final drive that way as well.
BAD
  • Coaches allowing Nebraska to consistently get MSM is man coverage on WRs. Just cannot happen...ever. They called TO on the first one, but...
  • Timeout management in the first half. Goodness. Didn't have another TO to use when Nebraska got MSM into man coverage for the THIRD time on the edge and it should've been a TD.
UGLY
  • Nothing MN did belongs in the category, but Nebraska. Woof. That is a bad team. Martinez is horribly inaccurate. They get zero pass rush on D. Their LB's are almost as bad as ours with over-pursuit on stretch plays. Against a team that surrenders 9+ YPC, they barely got anything going save for one long run. Wow. Nebraska fans cannot be happy.

Game Ball goes to our offense line. Had to plug 2 guys in this week due to Covid, one being a freshman and they protected Morgan well all day and our RB's averaged 4.8 yards. Honorary Mention to MSM who consistently made plays all day and had some strong solo tackles.
Don’t forget #34. Did Cheney #44 get hurt?

Big win today! Nebraska still can't hang with the Big Ten West! The "softest P5 division" has utterly stopped a century of Husker football success.

Next week...Wisconsin can be had. I really hope the Axe game happens next weekend. Win that one and we've gone from feeling like a program in collapse to a sneaky good season under duress.

Watched the first half live and then had to finish it later. Impressive performance all things considering. It obviously sucks having so many guys out but it gave opportunities for other guys.

I don’t get why Nebraska didn’t run the read option a lot more. They had a lot of success when they ran it.

In the end a very satisfying win!

FANTASTIC performance all around. A+ to the coaches for having these guys prepared and solid grades for both O and D

GOOD
  • OL! Down multiple starters and starting a true Frosh, the pass pro was some of the best we've seen in recent years. Running game was just good enough for most of the game, but that last drive was vintage.
  • Coaching. 6 man OL was effective despite being FAR down the depth chart. Many new formations including the two RB set in the first half. Forcing Neb to throw on O...and Martinez wasn't up to the task.
  • DEFENSE! Shutting down the run (minus one chunk play). Forcing two turnovers. Boye Mafe! And my goodness, outside defenders setting an edge...it was like night and day from the first two weeks. HUGE strides.
  • Morgan was studly. 4 drops (3 very egregious) hurt his stats, but he was throwing darts all day. One horrible throw he tried to force to CAB, but other than that he was finding the open guy.
  • Ibrahim. Always.
  • ST didn't screw anything up! All kicks were good, coverage was solid. Howard tried to screw up on the PR, but it didn't end up hurting the team.
  • 4th quarter O. I'm sure many GHers were happy to see Sanford throw as much as they did in the 4th quarter, including the first 3 plays. Ballsy to start the final drive that way as well.
BAD
  • Coaches allowing Nebraska to consistently get MSM is man coverage on WRs. Just cannot happen...ever. They called TO on the first one, but...
  • Timeout management in the first half. Goodness. Didn't have another TO to use when Nebraska got MSM into man coverage for the THIRD time on the edge and it should've been a TD.
UGLY
  • Nothing MN did belongs in the category, but Nebraska. Woof. That is a bad team. Martinez is horribly inaccurate. They get zero pass rush on D. Their LB's are almost as bad as ours with over-pursuit on stretch plays. Against a team that surrenders 9+ YPC, they barely got anything going save for one long run. Wow. Nebraska fans cannot be happy.
Here’s the ugly, almost getting 7 delay of game penalties on offense. That’s horrific at this level. Had to use time outs and had to rush plays that turned out putrid.

Big win today! Nebraska still can't hang with the Big Ten West! The "softest P5 division" has utterly stopped a century of Husker football success.

Next week...Wisconsin can be had. I really hope the Axe game happens next weekend. Win that one and we've gone from feeling like a program in collapse to a sneaky good season under duress.

I wonder if Wisconsin is a little less interested in campaigning to play the Gophers now after seeing them put it together against the Huskers today.

Nice win today. Tempered by the fact Nebraska stinks. However winning is the name of the game.

Here’s the ugly, almost getting 7 delay of game penalties on offense. That’s horrific at this level. Had to use time outs and had to rush plays that turned out putrid.
Uglier was the hurry up play after Potts scored. I get they didn't want them to substitute but sheesh, it took us 6 more plays to finally let Mo go in. Wait for the review...see if he really did score and calmly gain 4 inches with Mo, if he didn't for TD. It was epic dumb.

Good defense.

Offense and defense put the game away at end.

Best performance of the year.

Yes, I thought the defense was the difference in this game. The offense performed about as expected even without some key personnel but the defense has improved significantly since early in the season. It helped that Martinez wasn't so sharp with his passing. Nebraska averaged 4.7 yards per play today which is about 3 yards under our season average.

Down 33 guys? Really? That is impressive but lots of regulars seemed to be available minus the two o-line guys and the tight ends?

This was such an impressive win for the program. Not just down 33 guys, but not practicing for 2 weeks. The starting C was out, the starting RG was out. They played a true Freshman, Esery at RT. The Gophers had their top 3 blocking TE's out for this game and dressed only two TE's total (Spann Ford and true Freshman Austin Henderson. On defense Dew-Treadway and Lindenberg were out as starters. Then you had Bateman out and Mo on a pitch count as the two best players on this offense.

I didn't want them to play, I thought the risk of injury in a meaningless game with a very low chance to win said meaningless game was too high. I was wrong. They beat Nebraska more convincingly than Iowa did a couple weeks ago at home. I have gripes about certain things the coaches did today, but big picture getting this team ready to compete (and win) a B1G football game under these conditions was incredibly impressive.

One big picture thought: This team badly needs an infusion of speed on offense (arguably on defense too). I was so angry when Cam Wiley got caught from behind today. I thought we played that guy (to our detriment) last year because his upside was so high. I lived with the mistakes this year, because of that reported upside, he seems like he's just an upright runner with ok speed. The WR's made catches (especially true freshman Daniel Jackson), but didn't threaten vertically (on the Jackson "drop" that LB was way closer to him in coverage than he had any right to be). At some point we need to be able to break 70 yard big plays where we run away from people.

Top Bottom