Nebraska suspending red balloon release

Good to hear. I get that I'm more of an eco person than most in my thinking that spreading red bits of plastic across the countryside is in general a bad idea - but the waste of helium can impact a lot of people.
Should have been done away with years ago based on environment. People (including myself) are very wasteful.

Good to hear. I get that I'm more of an eco person than most in my thinking that spreading red bits of plastic across the countryside is in general a bad idea - but the waste of helium can impact a lot of people.
Agreed. Always thought it seemed a bit ridiculous to send 10’s of thousands of pieces of rubber into the environment 7 times a year. But I’m also a fun hater that has always thought balloons were pointless.

Based on the story it sounds like Alberts will put it back in as soon as there is helium available. I mean I get that it looks kind of cool but seems like they could come up with an alternative that still looks cool but doesn't waste helium or spread trash all over the surrounding area for other people to clean up....

The balloons were made eco-friendly a while back, just as an fyi.

Based on the story it sounds like Alberts will put it back in as soon as there is helium available. I mean I get that it looks kind of cool but seems like they could come up with an alternative that still looks cool but doesn't waste helium or spread trash all over the surrounding area for other people to clean up....
I think they should give solar powered red drones away to the fans...not the expensive droves, just the cheap ones that you can get for like $50. They can go up in to the sky above the stadium and then safely return to each fan...no harm to the environment. I can't foresee any problems with this idea.

I think they should give solar powered red drones away to the fans...not the expensive droves, just the cheap ones that you can get for like $50. They can go up in to the sky above the stadium and then safely return to each fan...no harm to the environment. I can't foresee any problems with this idea.
Yeah, thousands to drones all taking off at the same time....what could possibly go wrong :)

Yeah, thousands to drones all taking off at the same time....what could possibly go wrong :)
I forgot to mention...
and just to be sure the drone returns back to each owner and doesn't fly off in to the netherworld like the cheap ones have been know to do, I think there should be a tether - about 600-800 yards long, going from each person to their drone.

I forgot to mention...
and just to be sure the drone returns back to each owner and doesn't fly off in to the netherworld like the cheap ones have been know to do, I think there should be a tether - about 600-800 yards long, going from each person to their drone.
I mean that kind of seems like a no brainer. If you haven't already you should definitely pitch this to their athletic department. Maybe suggest they try it in a game involving the Badgers or Hawkeyes just to be safe though.

I forgot to mention...
Handing out laser pointers to the fans worked great for Senegal.

Had to look that up. Turned into a disastrous event. Just the thought of all those balloons going up in the air. Ugh.
If I remember correctly it made it impossible to locate a people from a boat that had capsized because there were so many balloons in the water. The United Way ended up getting sued.

I'm sure all the fans will stay sober and in careful control of their drones.

Give out the helium balloons. everyone in the stands sucks some helium, and then they sing the fight song! guaranteed #1 highlight on Sports Center.

Traditions are what make college football great. Ending traditions is dumb!
There actually is a helium shortage.

There are a number of common uses for helium gas in our daily lives that we’re oftentimes not even aware of (taken from https://www.westairgases.com/blog/what-is-helium-and-why-is-there-a-helium-shortage):
  • As a cooling medium for magnets and processes in MRI scanners
  • Detecting leaks in air conditioning systems
  • Scanning barcodes at checkouts using helium-neon gas lasers
  • Preventing bubbles from getting trapped inside of fiber optic internet cables during development
  • Breathing mixtures for deep undersea diving
  • The cooling and processing of silicon during the creation of semiconductor chips
I would say all of the above are far more important than Nebraska's balloon release.

I like the balloon release - but I understand being all responsible and changing times.

There actually is a helium shortage.

There are a number of common uses for helium gas in our daily lives that we’re oftentimes not even aware of (taken from https://www.westairgases.com/blog/what-is-helium-and-why-is-there-a-helium-shortage):
  • As a cooling medium for magnets and processes in MRI scanners
  • Detecting leaks in air conditioning systems
  • Scanning barcodes at checkouts using helium-neon gas lasers
  • Preventing bubbles from getting trapped inside of fiber optic internet cables during development
  • Breathing mixtures for deep undersea diving
  • The cooling and processing of silicon during the creation of semiconductor chips
I would say all of the above are far more important than Nebraska's balloon release.
A few hundred ballon’s planned out over 7 weeks 100 days in the future isn’t going to have any impact on this

A few hundred ballon’s planned out over 7 weeks 100 days in the future isn’t going to have any impact on this
IMO it will. By getting rid of it at big public events like football stadiums it will help make people aware that helium balloons are not a good idea, and with that knowledge, people stop buying them and stores stop stocking them. A public university making a stance on something can have a large impact on the community.

IMO it will. By getting rid of it at big public events like football stadiums it will help make people aware that helium balloons are not a good idea, and with that knowledge, people stop buying them and stores stop stocking them. A public university making a stance on something can have a large impact on the community.
We should never celebrate anything because it could have negative effects somewhere

We should never celebrate anything because it could have negative effects somewhere
You must be a blast at a party, that is if you ever got invited to one... We should celebrate lots of items, like giving Nebraska some :clap: for stopping the balloon release.

You must be a blast at a party, that is if you ever got invited to one... We should celebrate lots of items, like giving Nebraska some :clap: for stopping the balloon release.
Next you’ll want to stop selling beer & soda at games because it uses compressed gas tanks too

Next you’ll want to stop selling beer & soda at games because it uses compressed gas tanks too
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not get crazy. Only stop selling the helium-infused beer.

Top Bottom