Nebraska stands alone

It really is amazing that in an era where making a bowl game basically just requires your team not to suck, that a program like Nebraska has been unable to reach even that extremely low bar.

And yet, year after year there are experts out there predicting their return to glory....and year after year they fall flat on their face.

Of those bottom 8 teams, the corn holes are probably the only one with a good chance to move up this season.

Nebraska has an easy nonconference schedule this year with UTEP, Colorado, and Northern Iowa. It also has a favorable start to its B1G schedule with Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, and Indiana.

It gets pretty tough after that though finishing out with Ohio State, UCLA, USC, Wisconsin and lastly Iowa.

This could be the year Nebraska gets a bowl game, but the last 7 years they have been their own worst enemy with turnovers and about any other possible way to lose a game.

Last edited:

Nebraska has an easy nonconference schedule this year with UTEP, Colorado, and Northern Iowa. It also has a favorable start to its B1G schedule with Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, and Indiana.

It gets pretty tough after that though finishing out with Ohio State, UCLA, USC, Wisconsin and lastly Iowa.

This could be the year Nebraska gets a bowl game, but the last 7 years they have been their own worse enemy with turnovers and about any other possible way to lose a game.
The number of close games they have lost in recent years is off the charts. Still though, it really is shocking that a power 4 program like Nebraska has been unable to clear the extremely low bar of making a bowl game over the past 7 seasons.

Of those bottom 8 teams, the corn holes are probably the only one with a good chance to move up this season.

Yes, Nebraska isn't going to be terrible forever. They care too much about the sport for that. I'd guess that the dumber Iowa and Wisconsin fans thought we'd never beat them again after the streaks they accumulated. We shouldn't fall into the same type of thinking about Nebraska.

This could be the year Nebraska gets a bowl game, but the last 7 years they have been their own worse enemy with turnovers and about any other possible way to lose a game.
Yeah they're pretty much setup to go bowling this year. Never know, but the schedule is favorable to a team rebuilding.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nebraska doing better.

It helps they're not playing us (even though i wish they were still).

Every-time I've interacted with Nebraska fans they've been great.
Heck at the Outback bowl there were Nebraska fans there cheering for the Gophers ...

gopher god won't post in this thread but we know he opened it and read it. and fleck owns neb

What is more amazing is this drought is owned by a program that went to a then-record 35 straight bowl games from 1969-2003.

"Who the hell would go to Nebraska to float down a creek in a washtub? Is there nothing else to do there?"

- My 78 year old Mom after a couple of Morgan Diet Cokes

Yes, Nebraska isn't going to be terrible forever. They care too much about the sport for that. I'd guess that the dumber Iowa and Wisconsin fans thought we'd never beat them again after the streaks they accumulated. We shouldn't fall into the same type of thinking about Nebraska.
I agree that Nebraska isn't going to be terrible forever. The real question though is will they ever be an elite football program again or will they just settle into that second tier with teams like Minnesaota, Wisconsin, Iowa.....good but rarely if ever great.

There are still Nebraska fans that believe a return to the glory days is possible for them....I'm not so sure.

There are still Nebraska fans that believe a return to the glory days is possible for them....I'm not so sure.
If they hit the jackpot on an elite coach maybe...but I don't think Rhule is that guy.

Last edited:

Looking at the NEB schedule to start the season, it sure seems like the networks are determined to get NEB their national exposure. So, to start the season FOX places them in the prime 2:30 pm spot against powerhouse UTEP. I understand the matchup with PRIME in primetime for NBC, but what used to be a B10 network game against the Illini is now on FOX in primetime. I guess no Peacock or FS1 for NEB.

1724339964850.png

I agree that Nebraska isn't going to be terrible forever. The real question though is will they ever be an elite football program again or will they just settle into that second tier with teams like Minnesaota, Wisconsin, Iowa.....good but rarely if ever great.

I'd argue that Nebraska is closer to MN than MN is to Iowa or Wisconsin over the past 10-20 years.

I'd argue that Nebraska is closer to MN than MN is to Iowa or Wisconsin over the past 10-20 years.
20 year sure.....but in recent years MN has significantly closed the gap between itself and Wisconsin and Iowa. There is very little separation between the 3 programs now and that is unlikely to change much in this current college football landscape.

20 year sure.....but in recent years MN has significantly closed the gap between itself and Wisconsin and Iowa. There is very little separation between the 3 programs now and that is unlikely to change much in this current college football landscape.
Since PJ took over:
Iowa 40-23
Wisc 39-21
MN 29-32
Nebraska 19-43

B10 records…

MN is the midpoint between Nebraska and Iowa/Wisconsin

I miss me some Scott Frost. Entertainment at it's best.
It was really interesting TV trying to predict the manner in which they would shoot themselves in the foot. I'm not even ripping on Nebraska, it was so insane.

The 2021 team had a zero +/- in Big 10 play and they went 1-8.

Since PJ took over:
Iowa 40-23
Wisc 39-21
MN 29-32
Nebraska 19-43

B10 records…

MN is the midpoint between Nebraska and Iowa/Wisconsin
Last 5 years conference records

Iowa - 31-14
Wisc - 25-17
MN - 24-19
Neb - 13-31

But yeah....please keep pretending there is some massive gap between MN and Iowa/Wisconsin. I suppose you could argue that Iowa still has a little separation from MN and Wisconsin but at the moment there is little to no separation between Minnesota and Wisconsin and Iowa is not far ahead at all.

As for Nebraska, they probably are not as far behind as those records would indicate but the bottom line is the fairly significant gap that used to exist between Minnesota and our main two rivals has been closed to almost nothing.

And all 4 programs are unlikely to crack into the upper tier with teams like Ohio State, at least on any sort of regular basis.

Scott Frost was quite a gift to the Big Ten West

LRoRvkp.png

Notwithstanding that Riley's last year was a crash and burn and that Rhule's first year was, well, a first year. We'll see

No question Nebraska will win more games this year than either Wis.,Iowa or the Gophers.

Last 5 years conference records

Iowa - 31-14
Wisc - 25-17
MN - 24-19
Neb - 13-31

But yeah....please keep pretending there is some massive gap between MN and Iowa/Wisconsin. I suppose you could argue that Iowa still has a little separation from MN and Wisconsin but at the moment there is little to no separation between Minnesota and Wisconsin and Iowa is not far ahead at all.

As for Nebraska, they probably are not as far behind as those records would indicate but the bottom line is the fairly significant gap that used to exist between Minnesota and our main two rivals has been closed to almost nothing.

And all 4 programs are unlikely to crack into the upper tier with teams like Ohio State, at least on any sort of regular basis.
Pick any time frame you want too. I first said 10-20 years. You said maybe 20. I went back to when fleck started.

I’m not pretending there is a massive gap in any of those 4 teams btw…

Just that I thought Nebraska was as close to MN as MN was to Iowa/Wisconsin. Which if you use the last 5 years is not accurate.

Was not sure on the timeframe that’s all

Scott Frost was quite a gift to the Big Ten West

LRoRvkp.png

Notwithstanding that Riley's last year was a crash and burn and that Rhule's first year was, well, a first year. We'll see
The gift to the Big Ten was them not being Satisfied with Pelini's level of success and thinking they could do better.

Top Bottom