Nebraska lands Texas quarterback transfer Casey Thompson

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Former Texas quarterback Casey Thompson, who started 10 games in 2021, is transferring to Nebraska.

Thompson announced his decision Friday on Twitter after visiting Nebraska's campus earlier in the week. He led the Longhorns with 2,113 pass yards and 24 touchdowns with nine interceptions, while completing 63.2% of his passes. The junior from Oklahoma City started Texas' final 10 games after backing up Sam Ehlinger in previous seasons.

Thompson eclipsed 300 passing yards in three games this season, and also added 157 yards and four touchdowns on the ground. Thompson, the son of former Oklahoma star quarterback Charles Thompson, was ESPN's No. 221 overall recruit in the 2018 class. He replaced Ehlinger in the 2020 Alamo Bowl and threw four touchdown passes in a win over Colorado.

The Cornhuskers will be replacing Adrian Martinez, a four-year starter who transferred to Kansas State. Coach Scott Frost overhauled most of his offensive staff in November, and hired Mark Whipple from Pitt as the team's new offensive coordinator.

That will make them a whole lot better.

That will make them a whole lot better.

Yes. At least, better than they were after losing Martinez.

This guy threw for fewer yards, and rushed for fewer yards, as compared to Martinez. But he had more TD passes and fewer INTs than Martinez.

Meh. Not terribly scary. Doesn’t seem very mobile like Martinez. Will he for sure beat out Smothers?

Had 3 good games but otherwise very pedestrian. Also had a better supporting cast at Texas than he will at Nebraska. Bring it on.

When the head coach is Scott Frost... None of it matters... They still gunna suck
Ha. I agree. I was going to post something like Frost inverting his TDs to Ints. 9 TDs and 24 picks is possible isn't it Frost? If anyone can do it, he can.

Yes. At least, better than they were after losing Martinez.

This guy threw for fewer yards, and rushed for fewer yards, as compared to Martinez. But he had more TD passes and fewer INTs than Martinez.
He also played in the defense optional Big 12. Probably an upgrade of Smuthers but by how much is tough to say.

Meh. Not terribly scary. Doesn’t seem very mobile like Martinez. Will he for sure beat out Smothers?
Yes. I watched him play a couple times this past year. He looked really good.

Thompson is a little better passing QB than Adrian, but is smaller and not nearly the running threat Adrian was. Starting an essentially drop back passer might work well for Nebraska if it develops a running game in which RBs are featured and relied on for most of the tough yards. If Frost continues to run his QB option offense in which the QB is expected to run more often than any RB (and in which the QB is expected to be the leading rusher in yards), this probably will defang Nebraska’s offense some. Maybe Frost’s new suite of offensive coaches can help him get to the right spot for Thompson.

Last edited:

Purdy from FSU visited Oklahoma and will be at Nebraska this weekend. Interesting to see how the Texas QB and possibly Purdy affect future HS QB's interest in Nebraska. Fleck hasn't hit the portal yet for QB's and seems to be able to bring in decent recruits. We'll see what we truly have when Morgan is done and if Fleck holds steady with no portal QB's.

In the West Pur, WI, IA, and MN are developing QB's while NW, NE and ILL have gone portal route.

Thompson is a little better passing QB than Adrian, but is smaller and not nearly the running threat Adrian was. Starting an essentially drop back passer might work well for Nebraska if it develops a running game in which RBs are featured and relied on for most of the tough yards. If Frost continues to run his QB option offense in which the QB is expected to run more often than any RB (and in which the QB is expected to be the leading rusher in yards), this probably will defang Nebraska’s offense some. Maybe Frost’s new suite of offensive coaches can help him get to the right spot for Thompson.
Yeah, they are pretty different prospects.

Thompson's not a runner, he is a pretty good thrower and he doesn't make a ton of mistakes. I think Adrian Martinez is a much more dynamic football player but he's also more mistake prone.

I actually think I like Smothers the best for Nebraska. Smothers is the best runner out of all of them and he looked like a competent passer at times last year. It's hard to say off of 1 game. I don't love Nebraska's OL or their running game, so the idea of playing them with a stationary target in the backfield sounds appealing.

Yeah, they are pretty different prospects.

Thompson's not a runner, he is a pretty good thrower and he doesn't make a ton of mistakes. I think Adrian Martinez is a much more dynamic football player but he's also more mistake prone.

I actually think I like Smothers the best for Nebraska. Smothers is the best runner out of all of them and he looked like a competent passer at times last year. It's hard to say off of 1 game. I don't love Nebraska's OL or their running game, so the idea of playing them with a stationary target in the backfield sounds appealing.
Smothers seems to be a good prospect, knows the system, and is more of a fit for a QB Option offense. And Nebraska is still in the running for FSU transfer QB Chubba Purdy. After seemingly forever with Martinez, 2022 could be a wide open competition at Nebraska. As you point out, none of the QBs will be quite as dynamic as Martinez, but all could be quite good and probably less mistake prone in clutch situations.

Top Bottom