NDSU & SDSU still alive in FCS playoffs

just a reminder--

All times Central - All games airing on ESPN 2.

Friday, Dec. 16

Saturday, Dec. 17

interestingly enough, I have seen some grumbling/comments on twitter about attendance being down for the recent home playoff games for NDSU and SDSU. Some feel that the NDSU fans may have become somewhat jaded with all the success and are not as fervent as they were in previous years. with SDSU, a lot of the discussion is weather-related.
The only games NDSU fans still care about, at this point, are: SDSU, UND, and perhaps with Vigen at Montana State that can become a thing where they meet regularly in the playoffs?

Perhaps mild interest in USD and UNI, but they almost never lose to those programs. They don't lose to UND either, but there is the historic rivalry angle.

If it somehow works to make FBS conferences that are football only, with this ASUN/WAC thing, then perhaps the Dakotas, Montanas, and a couple/few others will try to do the same.

Last edited:

That's been somewhat true for NDSU for a few years now. Here's a good article about it:
NDSU starts to address football attendance with survey, but is it asking the right questions?

Some of it is being bored with winning every game by double digit margins. Some of it is, like with all college football, the experience at home is superior and less time consuming, and some is the dome.

From personal experience, the Fargodome is a strange place to watch a football game. It's like watching in some kind of warehouse, or TV studio. There's no natural light, so everything has this odd hue to it.

The school doesn't own the stadium - the city does, so the school can't do much in terms of improvements, and improvements are needed in terms of restrooms, concessions, scoreboards etc. They don't sell beer at games for some reason, despite being off campus (technically).

Tailgating is a huge part of the deal at NDSU. From what I've heard, they've cracked down a bit on this, and of course this time of year, that's not really much fun anyway.

The interesting thing this weekend - As of right now, I think 94 and 29 are still closed, so you can't even get to Fargo or Brookings. I'm going to assume that Montana State was going to be a charter flight?
The Fargodome has upgraded the sound system and video boards in recent years, along with the turf. It used to have a giant Fargodome symbol at the 50 yard line, at least now it is a Bison logo.

There is no reasonable way to upgrade the seating, though they already are all chairbacks. They are going to try some kind of thing with shoehorning in some club seating?

But yes it is completely sealed off from any outside light. It's a giant barn.

It is what it is. "Only" 30 years old, next year. No way the city/county/state builds a new, modern indoor stadium until probably 20-25 years from now. The seating capacity is plenty good enough for where the program and surrounding community is at, and likely will be for the next couple decades.

The major FCS programs charter every away game that isn't a few hours (or less) drive, anyway. I know NDSU does this and would assume most MVFC and Big Sky programs do.

The only games NDSU fans still care about, at this point, are: SDSU, UND, and perhaps with Vigen at Montana State that can become a thing where they meet regularly in the playoffs?

If it somehow works to make FBS conferences that are football only, with this ASUN/WAC thing, then perhaps the Dakotas, Montanas, and a couple/few others will try to do the same.

It is interesting how there is effectively becoming an extra division in NCAA football. The top dogs in FCS all want to move to FBS but the FBS is effectively separating too as the SEC and BG10 are peeling off the top Power 5 teams. Meanwhile, FCS and D2 are getting watered down as the former top teams move up and out.

It is interesting how there is effectively becoming an extra division in NCAA football. The top dogs in FCS all want to move to FBS but the FBS is effectively separating too as the SEC and BG10 are peeling off the top Power 5 teams. Meanwhile, FCS and D2 are getting watered down as the former top teams move up and out.
NDSU, Montana, et al (the top "remainers") are banking on there being a re-org, where G5 (or the bottom portion) gets placed down with the upper portion of FCS.

Has long been hypothesized, and good portion of NDSU fans prefer that hypothetical as it still gives the option of winning a national championship.

The Fargodome has upgraded the sound system and video boards in recent years, along with the turf. It used to have a giant Fargodome symbol at the 50 yard line, at least now it is a Bison logo.

There is no reasonable way to upgrade the seating, though they already are all chairbacks. They are going to try some kind of thing with shoehorning in some club seating?

But yes it is completely sealed off from any outside light. It's a giant barn.

It is what it is. "Only" 30 years old, next year. No way the city/county/state builds a new, modern indoor stadium until probably 20-25 years from now. The seating capacity is plenty good enough for where the program and surrounding community is at, and likely will be for the next couple decades.

The major FCS programs charter every away game that isn't a few hours (or less) drive, anyway. I know NDSU does this and would assume most MVFC and Big Sky programs do.
If they move to FBS which is likely with the new FBS conference forming, they will have a new stadium within 5 years of that decision.

If they move to FBS which is likely with the new FBS conference forming, they will have a new stadium within 5 years of that decision.
I wonder who would be paying for that. NDSU is facing a 10.5 million dollar deficit over the next two years and the already stingy board of education isn't going to gift NDSU money without UND supporters throwing a fit.

The city isn't going to pitch in, since they'd be helping their primary tenant move out of their building, and Fargo isn't known for keeping up their city owned arenas. The Civic Center just sits as an unused and decrepit downtown eyesore and should probably be torn down.

SDSU's new stadium cost $65 million, but is outdoors. Not sure if the Bison would want to move back outside, though it would save a lot of money (and add a lot of flexibility). I would assume SDSU would move up as well.

USD just put $26 million in renovations into the DakotaDome. But it only holds 10,000. That could be an issue if they wanted to move up. The Alerus in Grand Forks is newer, and seems nice, but only holds 12,000 for football.

NDSU, Montana, et al (the top "remainers") are banking on there being a re-org, where G5 (or the bottom portion) gets placed down with the upper portion of FCS.

Has long been hypothesized, and good portion of NDSU fans prefer that hypothetical as it still gives the option of winning a national championship.

Reusse had a column in the Strib this week on that subject. He went through a list of teams that NDSU has met in the playoffs in recent years, with many of those programs having moved up to FBS.

if this continues, it's going to leave the Dakota and Montana schools on an island, and may force them to do something.

Reusse had a column in the Strib this week on that subject. He went through a list of teams that NDSU has met in the playoffs in recent years, with many of those programs having moved up to FBS.

if this continues, it's going to leave the Dakota and Montana schools on an island, and may force them to do something.
I've read from some NDSU fans on Reddit that the Bison could be on a sort of island in the FBS, too, with travel being a lot with either the MAC or Mountain West. I suppose maybe they could take the independent route and play a mix of western MAC teams and eastern MWC, build a schedule with the likes of Northern Illinois, Wyoming and such.

Pretty much has already been the case. In my opinion there are basically already five divisions of college football. FBS is and has been basically a split division already. The Power 5/AQ schools have always been the ones competing for national titles, while the Group of 5 have been left out of the conversation and usually settle things in lower tier bowls.

That continued in the BCS era and mostly in the CFP days, outside of the Bearcats' run last season. Can it really be a single sub-division if half of the schools basically aren't included outside of the top G5 team getting a BCS/NY6 slot? The G5 is basically it's own thing when compared to the P5 at this point.

That's even more clear with the FCS, which is D1 in name only. It has its own playoff format, its own national championship game, and all of it is separate from the FBS, yet it's still the same division?

At this point, I look at it as P5 being D1, G5 is D2, FCS is D3, D2 is D4 and D3 is D5.

The Gophers have around 17 players listed that are from Minnesota and NDSU has 30 players listed from Minnesota.

The Gophers have around 17 players listed that are from Minnesota and NDSU has 30 players listed from Minnesota.
Are you sure of those numbers?

Are you sure of those numbers?
I count 35 from Minnesota at NDSU and 26 from Minnesota for the Gophers.

Not surprising so many at NDSU. Minnesota has always had great D2 football

I've read from some NDSU fans on Reddit that the Bison could be on a sort of island in the FBS, too, with travel being a lot with either the MAC or Mountain West. I suppose maybe they could take the independent route and play a mix of western MAC teams and eastern MWC, build a schedule with the likes of Northern Illinois, Wyoming and such.
Geography is probably the number one reason NDSU specifically, and the Dakota schools in general, haven't been able to move up. There's just no FBS conference where they fit into the geographic footprint. UND even struggled with travel costs in the Big Sky.

Yeah the NDSU streak of success is impressive.
And some people say it’s less impressive because FCS. I disagree. It isn’t FCS that makes it less impressive it’s that all the best of FCS have left.

since 1993 there have been 60 teams in national title games.
Of those 21 are teams that are now FBS or actively transitioning
9 are NDSU
7 are Montana
4 are tressel Youngstown (+1 non tressel Youngstown)

There is just no depth of FCS left.

I count 35 from Minnesota at NDSU and 26 from Minnesota for the Gophers.

Not surprising so many at NDSU. Minnesota has always had great D2 football
Remember that to kids from large swaths of Western Minnesota, NDSU, SDSU, and UND are the home teams they grew up watching and rooting for. They have no identification whatsoever with the Gophers.

Remember that to kids from large swaths of Western Minnesota, NDSU, SDSU, and UND are the home teams they grew up watching and rooting for. They have no identification whatsoever with the Gophers.
For sure. They also aren’t turning down gopher scholarships or really any FBS offer to go to school in Brookings, Fargo, etc.

I’ll edit to add that I’m sure some have offers. But the vast majority do not. I know of multiple players at NDSU who wanted Gopher offers and didn’t get them. Such is life for all involved. Great FCS team and a great fan base.

Yeah the NDSU streak of success is impressive.
And some people say it’s less impressive because FCS. I disagree. It isn’t FCS that makes it less impressive it’s that all the best of FCS have left.

since 1993 there have been 60 teams in national title games.
Of those 21 are teams that are now FBS or actively transitioning
9 are NDSU
7 are Montana
4 are tressel Youngstown (+1 non tressel Youngstown)

There is just no depth of FCS left.
A big part of that, is that the move from D2 to FCS, is a much bigger jump than FCS to FBS.
The former requires all sports to transition to D1, and is a much bigger cost to the school's athletic department as a whole.

The latter only affects one sport, and an increase in equivalent women's scholarships.

It's just an easier jump to make.

For sure. They also aren’t turning down gopher scholarships or really any FBS offer to go to school in Brookings, Fargo, etc.

I’ll edit to add that I’m sure some have offers. But the vast majority do not. I know of multiple players at NDSU who wanted Gopher offers and didn’t get them. Such is life for all involved. Great FCS team and a great fan base.
And for some, it may be a sure offer, vs. a PWO at an FBS school, and they'll choose the sure thing. I totally understand that. You have to do what's best for you.

I watched both bowl games today. Let's be honest - the top teams in FCS would be perfectly competitive against UAB and Miami, who played in the Bahamas Bowl. Probably against UTSA and Troy as well who are playing right now.

And for some, it may be a sure offer, vs. a PWO at an FBS school, and they'll choose the sure thing. I totally understand that. You have to do what's best for you.
No doubt. Free school and likely playing vs paying for school and likely not playing. Easy choice for many.

I really don't see this. Gophers are pretty popular all over the state. 'Hometown' teams are Mankato, Southwest State, and all the division 3 teams across the state. Very few people outside Fargo/ND that are Bison fans unless they have a tie to the school.

It is so fitting that you’d even get something objective like this, wrong. Amazing consistency.

I gotta give it up to Incarnate Word. They're a fun team to watch. They have some massive lineman too.

If anyone wants a great example of exactly what lengthens college football games… NDSU (D1, FCA) and Mount Union (D3) kicked off at the same time tonight. NDSU is just under a minute left in the 3rd quarter. Mount Union is on the home stretch with 5:20 left in the 4th quarter. Both games playing the same rules.

The guy in the red hat does his best to wreck college football.

This is why I always get irritated when people suggest the college game should get rid of clock stoppage after first downs. People are so desensitized to advertising that they’d rather see the game eliminate the football part to preserve the advertising part.

Yes, college halftimes are longer than NFL too but I will maintain the main problem is that red hat.

If anyone wants a great example of exactly what lengthens college football games… NDSU (D1, FCA) and Mount Union (D3) kicked off at the same time tonight. NDSU is just under a minute left in the 3rd quarter. Mount Union is on the home stretch with 5:20 left in the 4th quarter. Both games playing the same rules.

The guy in the red hat does his best to wreck college football.

This is why I always get irritated when people suggest the college game should get rid of clock stoppage after first downs. People are so desensitized to advertising that they’d rather see the game eliminate the football part to preserve the advertising part.

Yes, college halftimes are longer than NFL too but I will maintain the main problem is that red hat.

You're always aware of TV timeouts in the stadium, but I really learned how pervasive they are earlier this fall when Dish Network shut off ESPN temporarily. I signed up for Hulu TV to watch games in the interim. The Hulu TV DVR doesn't allow you to fast forward through commercials. OMG. If there is a commercial hell, that was it. I have no idea how much time the commercials take but it's a lot.

You're always aware of TV timeouts in the stadium, but I really learned how pervasive they are earlier this fall when Dish Network shut off ESPN temporarily. I signed up for Hulu TV to watch games in the interim. The Hulu TV DVR doesn't allow you to fast forward through commercials. OMG. If there is a commercial hell, that was it. I have no idea how much time the commercials take but it's a lot.
OMG - before they dropped FSN (now BSN) and I switched to DTV Stream, I had Hulu TV. The inability to ffwd commercials was horrible, even if you recorded things.

Top Bottom