NDSU & SDSU still alive in FCS playoffs

I often wonder why smallish non-descript universities want to move up to D1 FCS with all the additional cost, then you see a school like Incarnate Word get national name recognition over and over because of football and other sports (even if in lopsided defeats vs. larger schools). I had never heard of Incarnate Word before a few years ago. Same for many others. It would be hard to place a dollar amount on that kind of marketing exposure.
I remember first hearing about Incarnate Word a few years back, and thinking "Is that a real place?"
It turns out it's the largest Catholic school in Texas.

SDSU beats Holy Cross 42-21. it was tied 21-all after three quarters, but SDSU scored 3 TD's in the 4th Qtr.

Holy Cross led in total offense, but didn't capitalize on some opportunities with missed FG atts.
the Holy Cross QB, Sluka, ran for 212 yards - 1st time all season a back went over 100 yds against the SDSU defense.

SDSU defense was able to put enough pressure on Sluka and get some stops when they needed,

SDSU offense not flashy but effective.

Naw. Give the SD/ND teams and the farmers a chance for some warm weather in early January. Better to host the annual conference game at US Bank so they can do early Christmas shopping at the M Of USA.

SDSU is going to be around for a while. They've invested a lot into their facilities/program and have a great coach. I can see them usurping NDSU, if they haven't already. Too bad they couldn't have beaten Iowa in that shootout early in the year.

SDSU is going to be around for a while. They've invested a lot into their facilities/program and have a great coach. I can see them usurping NDSU, if they haven't already. Too bad they couldn't have beaten Iowa in that shootout early in the year.

SDSU does have a great coach, but I wonder how much longer he will continue? He turns 66 in 2 months.

I'm a South Dakota native and have hated NDAC since birth, but they have a long, long, long way to go to catch up with, let alone usurp, them. Fargo has 17 national titles (9 in Division I) and 37 conference titles (10 in Division I). SDSU has 0 national titles at any level and 2 Division I conference titles.

NDSU is a school I love to hate and hate to love. I want to cheer against them… mainly because of their fans, but they play a very solid brand of football and are fun to watch. Just a bunch of kids from a bunch of dots on a map and few studs mixed in.

I'm a South Dakota native and have hated NDAC since birth, but they have a long, long, long way to go to catch up with, let alone usurp, them. Fargo has 17 national titles (9 in Division I) and 37 conference titles (10 in Division I). SDSU has 0 national titles at any level and 2 Division I conference titles.
I didn't mean that they would equal NDSU's past accomplishments, just that they could become the current perennial top team in the land.

I didn't mean that they would equal NDSU's past accomplishments, just that they could become the current perennial top team in the land.
Well, just before NDSU moved up to D1, UND had surpassed them in football.

The one issue that could hurt SDSU, is that they are the only of the four Dakota D1 schools (UND, USD, SDSU and NDSU) that plays outside. In FCS, that means outdoor playoff games in December, like, now. I could see other coaches using that against them. Plus, Brookings isn't a great town.

NDSU is a school I love to hate and hate to love. I want to cheer against them… mainly because of their fans, but they play a very solid brand of football and are fun to watch. Just a bunch of kids from a bunch of dots on a map and few studs mixed in.
This. I went to college across the river, and it always bugged me that they acted like a D2 team (at the time) was like Miami or Notre Dame or USC. But I have a bunch of friends who are NDSU fans, so I find it hard to hate them like I once did (but find it easy to needle them.)

I would watch NDSU football anyday. They play the game well and are very sound. Montana State is similar as Vigen got his start in Fargo.

They had injuries to 4-5 key players in the playoffs but the next guy up has done the job thus far.

NDSU gets some luck with Sacramento St losing. Another year where they won’t have to play a playoff game on the road.

NDSU gets some luck with Sacramento St losing. Another year where they won’t have to play a playoff game on the road.
Other than Frisco, or what they refer to as South Fargo. How many years in a row can you make that trip and still have it feel special/fun?

But seriously though ... FCS is beyond depleted of "worthy" programs to put up a challenge to the Dakotas, at this point.

I think the former NDSU coach who is now at Montana State will make them a worthy contender. Indeed, they travel to Brookings to give it a shot this year. Rooting for them.

Other than Frisco, or what they refer to as South Fargo. How many years in a row can you make that trip and still have it feel special/fun?

But seriously though ... FCS is beyond depleted of "worthy" programs to put up a challenge to the Dakotas, at this point.

I think the former NDSU coach who is now at Montana State will make them a worthy contender. Indeed, they travel to Brookings to give it a shot this year. Rooting for them.
Had a few minutes to look it up. Since their first appearance in the FCS playoffs in 2010, they've played a total of 35 home games (including their next game) and only three on the road. Two of those three road games occurred in 2010.

So since the first year of 2010, they've played a total of 43 playoff games: 34 at home, one on the road (in which they lost) and 8 neutral. That's a huge advantage.

…. Fargo and Sioux Falls aren’t great towns. :ROFLMAO:
Sioux Falls is a very nice town, Fargo can have some appeal and Brookings is fine as is Grand Forks overall. The Coyotes in Vermillion struggle — they bit at the heels of the Bison in D2 back in the day but can’t recruit higher end FCS type players to that town very well. The had a surge under Streveler but have faded again.

Based on what exactly? Have you lived or spent any significant amount of time in either city?
Yes I have lived in Fargo. Have not lived in Sioux Falls, but assume it is the same thing.

The word "great" is obviously quite subjective. Some people like small(er) towns/places. That is fine.

But the idea that Brookings isn't a great town, but that Sioux Falls is ... doesn't make any sense to me. To each, their own.

This. I went to college across the river, and it always bugged me that they acted like a D2 team (at the time) was like Miami or Notre Dame or USC. But I have a bunch of friends who are NDSU fans, so I find it hard to hate them like I once did (but find it easy to needle them.)
Don't know why it would bug you to be around people who support their team. We would certainly like to have more fans that treat our team like we were Notre Dame. Also, they've certainly been better than Miami multiple times in the last twenty years.

Took my daughter to a campus visit for both NDSU and SDSU last month. She's grown up a Gophers fan with me but just doesn't have the desire to attend an urban campus. We enjoyed both campuses. NDSU has about 13k undergrads in a 5x5 square block. SDSU has about 11k undergrads in a slightly larger footprint. Definitely felt less crowded and more open spaces.

Brookings itself is very small but we found their main street pretty quaint and enjoyed the campus. SDSU is her leader and I think she'll enjoy it.

The football facility looks pretty cool. Decent size and some open spots around to tailgate. She's hoping to be in the marching band so I imagine I'll end up traveling for a game or two.

Took my daughter to a campus visit for both NDSU and SDSU last month. She's grown up a Gophers fan with me but just doesn't have the desire to attend an urban campus. We enjoyed both campuses. NDSU has about 13k undergrads in a 5x5 square block. SDSU has about 11k undergrads in a slightly larger footprint. Definitely felt less crowded and more open spaces.

Brookings itself is very small but we found their main street pretty quaint and enjoyed the campus. SDSU is her leader and I think she'll enjoy it.

The football facility looks pretty cool. Decent size and some open spots around to tailgate. She's hoping to be in the marching band so I imagine I'll end up traveling for a game or two.

The new SDSU football complex looks great from online stuff and TV. I don't make it to the I-29 corridor very often but would love to swing by to check it out in person.

Not sure how NDSU ends up with good quarterbacks who get drafted compared to the u of m. Howd pj miss on trey lance?

Top Bottom