NDSU & SDSU still alive in FCS playoffs

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Both teams advance easily in the first round with wins over Montana State and Delaware.

The Bison play (11-1) Samford 6pm Friday night on ESPN2. This will be a very interesting match as Samford plays race-horse football and their QB has completed 77% passes with 35 TD's and just 3 Int's. However he is ??? as he has been injured.

SDSU plays Holy Cross (12-0) 11am ESPN Saturday.

Be fun to see a NDSU(3)/SDSU(1) rematch for the FCS national title.

With all the hype this year about Deon and undefeated Jackson State, it's too bad they only play in the bowl game vs. another HBCU team for postseason play. It would be fun to see how they do in the playoffs.

Just keeping those kids from getting in the portal with each win.

I feel like the last 22 years have been good for the northern Midwest region including the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin in the lower levels of college football.
  • FCS: North Dakota State won 9 titles and South Dakota State was runner-up once.
  • D2: North Dakota won 1 title before moving up and Minnesota Duluth won 2. Minnesota State Mankato has been runner-up twice.
  • D3: St. John's (MN) and Wisconsin Whitewater won 7 titles. St. John's, St. Thomas, Wisconsin Whitewater and Wisconsin Oshkosh were runners-up in 8 times
Even at the NJCAA level, the North Dakota State College of Science in Wahpeton just finished as the national runner-up, losing in the title game.

Both teams advance easily in the first round with wins over Montana State and Delaware.

The Bison play (11-1) Samford 6pm Friday night on ESPN2. This will be a very interesting match as Samford plays race-horse football and their QB has completed 77% passes with 35 TD's and just 3 Int's. However he is ??? as he has been injured.

No you have the results incorrect. NDSU beat Montana not Montana State. Montana State beat Weber State and plays. Bill and Mary on Friday night on ESPN. If I remember correctly Montana State lost in finals last year.

They beat Montana not Montana state

I feel like the last 22 years have been good for the northern Midwest region including the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin in the lower levels of college football.
  • FCS: North Dakota State won 9 titles and South Dakota State was runner-up once.
  • D2: North Dakota won 1 title before moving up and Minnesota Duluth won 2. Minnesota State Mankato has been runner-up twice.
  • D3: St. John's (MN) and Wisconsin Whitewater won 7 titles. St. John's, St. Thomas, Wisconsin Whitewater and Wisconsin Oshkosh were runners-up in 8 times
Even at the NJCAA level, the North Dakota State College of Science in Wahpeton just finished as the national runner-up, losing in the title game.
NDSCS is the team with the 40 something year old guy on the team.

So NDSU and SDSU are still alive but St. Johns and Bethel are out, right? Good luck in the tourney, guys! Keep winning and you’ll be able to ride an airplane to a game!

With all the hype this year about Deon and undefeated Jackson State, it's too bad they only play in the bowl game vs. another HBCU team for postseason play. It would be fun to see how they do in the playoffs.
I think HBCU’s should be in the playoffs. I think Jackson St would get destroyed by a team like NDSU or any team in the upper 30-40% of that level.

I've watched parts of several SDSU games this year. (they have some players from SW MN on the team). The Jackrabbits are a pretty solid outfit. Balanced offense. QB does a good job. they have some solid RB's and a good group of receivers, including a TE who will be an NFL draft pick.

On defense, their D-Line generates a lot of pressure.

I honestly think that SDSU could play with a lot of G5 FBS teams.

there really isn't much difference between the top level of FCS and the lower level of FBS.

I've watched parts of several SDSU games this year. (they have some players from SW MN on the team). The Jackrabbits are a pretty solid outfit. Balanced offense. QB does a good job. they have some solid RB's and a good group of receivers, including a TE who will be an NFL draft pick.

On defense, their D-Line generates a lot of pressure.

I honestly think that SDSU could play with a lot of G5 FBS teams.

there really isn't much difference between the top level of FCS and the lower level of FBS.
If the Iowa game is any indication they could give the Gophers a run for their money.

I think HBCU’s should be in the playoffs. I think Jackson St would get destroyed by a team like NDSU or any team in the upper 30-40% of that level.
They could. But they choose to continue the tradition of the Celebration Bowl, which interferes with the playoff schedule. I think a few years ago, a second place team that didn't go to the bowl was chosen as an at-large in the playoffs. The Ivy League also doesn't participate in the playoffs, but it would be cool if they did.

So NDSU and SDSU are still alive but St. Johns and Bethel are out, right? Good luck in the tourney, guys! Keep winning and you’ll be able to ride an airplane to a game!
Yep, St. Johns and Bethel are out, but both did us proud. St. Johns made it to the second round. Bethel made it to the final 8, and was leading early in the 4Q of their game, but couldn't hold on and gave up multiple touchdowns to end up going home.

Thanks for the update. Always fun to watch these teams.

If you didn't stay up late to watch the Sac State vs. Incarnate Word FCS playoff game, you should have. Final score was 66-63 (no overtime) in one of the craziest most fun games ever.

I often wonder why smallish non-descript universities want to move up to D1 FCS with all the additional cost, then you see a school like Incarnate Word get national name recognition over and over because of football and other sports (even if in lopsided defeats vs. larger schools). I had never heard of Incarnate Word before a few years ago. Same for many others. It would be hard to place a dollar amount on that kind of marketing exposure.

Top Bottom