NDSU Roster

VarmintKong

Reaction score
I was checking out their roster online (too much free time on my hands tonight).

They have 0 players from North Dakota. How can that be? That is really strange.

And they have 8 players from Minnesota.

how is that strange?? Does Duke have alot of players from North Carolina?

I was checking out their roster online (too much free time on my hands tonight).

They have 0 players from North Dakota. How can that be? That is really strange.

And they have 8 players from Minnesota.

I don't understand. North Dakota isn't exactly your bb hotbed. I'd be surprised if the Bison will ever have more than 2-3 NoDak's on their roster as long as they are D-1. It wasn't that long ago that the Gophers only took 1 player per year for the roster, essentially a token MN guy to represent the state.

I'm not saying that I expected their roster to be made of primarily ND kids, but I just found it unusual that they didn't have a single ND player. It's always fun to cheer for one of your own.

Can you compare NDSU to Duke? NDSU is a school that primarily draws from this region, while Duke probably draws the majority of its kids from outside of NC. And, by the way, there are 2 NC players on Duke's team.

I have nothing against NDSU. I just found that stat interesting.

I don't understand. North Dakota isn't exactly your bb hotbed. I'd be surprised if the Bison will ever have more than 2-3 NoDak's on their roster as long as they are D-1. It wasn't that long ago that the Gophers only took 1 player per year for the roster, essentially a token MN guy to represent the state.

Sam Phillips doesn't care about the local guys...he'd rather pick up Terry Smith's rejects..just pathetic.

All I can say is that Mike Twat is a pretty good bb player for NDSU.

its probably good that there are not alot of ND players on NDSU roster...that means they are trying to progress.
Lets be honest, ND isn't exactly a gold mine for DI players. I give props to NDSU for trying to recruit good players. Probably not gonna find too many of those in ND.

its probably good that there are not alot of ND players on NDSU roster...that means they are trying to progress.
Lets be honest, ND isn't exactly a gold mine for DI players. I give props to NDSU for trying to recruit good players. Probably not gonna find too many of those in ND.

You'd be surprised how many good ball players they'd find in the sheep pastures of Western ND.

North Dakota does not produce many D1 players to begin with, and the ones that are good enough to play at NDSU, tend to play elsewhere. Currently there is Austin Default at Colorado and Brian Qvale at Montana. The top recruit this season, Joe Hanstad recently committed to Boise St.

When you look at NDSU as compared to SDSU it does seem odd that they don't have a ND player this year. Not only does SDSU have five SD players they have one from ND. But last year they did have Austin Pennick from Fargo South. They had red shirt freshman Caleb Shockman transfer to the School of Minds. Caleb's dad uncle and sister all played a sport at NDSU. Caleb was also considered one of the best players in the state his senior year. But even with all that said he would have never helped NDSU win. I talked a lot with him at a camp I worked, and two things separated him from the other players at NDSU. One that he was a very nice kid, the only other player I liked was Andy Nagel. But, also unlike Nagel, Caleb just didn't have the talent.

Another thing that hurts them with local kids is the SDSU coach Scott Nagy. The man is nuts and kind of scares me, but he has connections that run to every small town in the three state area. He's been around for over 15 years he knows all the coaches. Saul Phillips, and everyone on his staff, is from Wisconsin. That's why they play so many games in the cheese state. It's were all of his connections are. They do try to get ND kids, I know they offered a kid from Wahpeton over a kid from Madison WI last year. They liked the Madison kid better but they did want to get at least one ND kids. I don't know what happened I don't talk to anyone on that staff. But they are aware of the problem and the staff does work hard to find a ND kid, but it's not easy in a Hockey state.

I lived in the Fargo/Moorhead area for 3 years while going to school and I think if you are a D-1 talent in that area or anywhere in ND for that matter you take any other offer out of the region. It is cold and windy and then winter comes

Yeah there isn't much talent in ND and in the eastern part of the state hockey is really big. We struggle in bringing on recruits from western ND but I can tell you that it isn't from a lack of effort.

It seems like MN kids connect to NDSU better, but maybe that isn't surprising when you consider the huge number of MN kids that make up the school's student body.

Yeah there isn't much talent in ND and in the eastern part of the state hockey is really big. We struggle in bringing on recruits from western ND but I can tell you that it isn't from a lack of effort.

It seems like MN kids connect to NDSU better, but maybe that isn't surprising when you consider the huge number of MN kids that make up the school's student body.

And in looking at the NDSU student body, trust me, some of the students' (females especially) bodies are BIG!!!

When you look at NDSU as compared to SDSU it does seem odd that they don't have a ND player this year. Not only does SDSU have five SD players they have one from ND. But last year they did have Austin Pennick from Fargo South. They had red shirt freshman Caleb Shockman transfer to the School of Minds. Caleb's dad uncle and sister all played a sport at NDSU. Caleb was also considered one of the best players in the state his senior year. But even with all that said he would have never helped NDSU win. I talked a lot with him at a camp I worked, and two things separated him from the other players at NDSU. One that he was a very nice kid, the only other player I liked was Andy Nagel. But, also unlike Nagel, Caleb just didn't have the talent.

Another thing that hurts them with local kids is the SDSU coach Scott Nagy. The man is nuts and kind of scares me, but he has connections that run to every small town in the three state area. He's been around for over 15 years he knows all the coaches. Saul Phillips, and everyone on his staff, is from Wisconsin. That's why they play so many games in the cheese state. It's were all of his connections are. They do try to get ND kids, I know they offered a kid from Wahpeton over a kid from Madison WI last year. They liked the Madison kid better but they did want to get at least one ND kids. I don't know what happened I don't talk to anyone on that staff. But they are aware of the problem and the staff does work hard to find a ND kid, but it's not easy in a Hockey state.

I think SD basketball is much better, historically, than ND so I'd expect the Jacks to have a few more from the state on the roster. There has been more individual talent for sure ... Mike Miller, Joe Krabbenhoft, and Jason Sutherland to name a few.

Ummmm . . .

Sam Phillips doesn't care about the local guys...he'd rather pick up Terry Smith's rejects..just pathetic.

You meant Saul Phillips.

An easy mistake. Throw in the fact that on Wednesday night we had Saul Smith on our bench - it was at least a little bit unusual.

Sam Phillips?

"Samuel Cornelius Phillips (January 5, 1923 – July 30, 2003), better known as Sam Phillips, was an American record producer who played an important role in the emergence of rock and roll as the major form of popular music in the 1950s. He was a producer, label owner, and talent scout throughout the '40s and '50s. He is most notably attributed with the discoveries of Howlin' Wolf, Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash, and is associated with several other noteworthy rhythm and blues and rock and roll stars of the period."

sam_at_Sun_control_board_1952.JPG

suntshirt.jpg

NDSU is behind us, we beat them. Sam Phillips, Saul Phillips, Tubby Smith, Terry Smith, Rhoid White is at Iowa State and inelligible. Sometimes I wonder of some of these so called Athletes Nationwide are smart enough to even pi$$ a hole in the snow!!!!!!!! Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!

You meant Saul Phillips.

An easy mistake. Throw in the fact that on Wednesday night we had Saul Smith on our bench - it was at least a little bit unusual.

Sam Phillips?

"Samuel Cornelius Phillips (January 5, 1923 – July 30, 2003), better known as Sam Phillips, was an American record producer who played an important role in the emergence of rock and roll as the major form of popular music in the 1950s. He was a producer, label owner, and talent scout throughout the '40s and '50s. He is most notably attributed with the discoveries of Howlin' Wolf, Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash, and is associated with several other noteworthy rhythm and blues and rock and roll stars of the period."

sam_at_Sun_control_board_1952.JPG

suntshirt.jpg

Check the LakesBison thread for the reason of the spelling......I know its Saul.....

Top Bottom