NCAA tournament

MUgopher32

Reaction score
Tough draw for Gophs. Got defending champs Umass in their backyard off the bat, then probably Western Michigan.

Time to get back to the Frozen four and hopefully beyond.

Who do you guys think takes it?

The only team more talented than us is Michigan, and I could argue we have more depth. Any team can take it given the one and done format, but we're as good as any team in America.

Although in a "one and done" anything can happen, UMass did not beat anyone during the season that is ranked higher than themselves (11th). They lost to Mankato twice (although way back in October) and lost to Michigan twice - and they literally did not play anyone else of note. The only tourney teams they have beaten are UMass-Lowell, Northeastern and AIC- all 4th seeds in their respective regions. Saw their coach interviewed - they lost 10 players from last year's championship team.

Yes, UMass is playing locally (of sorts), but a big crowd did not help the Gophers last weekend (and UMass crowd will be nowhere as large). I think the Gophers got a reasonable good draw - did not want to see the likes of UMD or UND in our bracket - always give us fits.

Although in a "one and done" anything can happen, UMass did not beat anyone during the season that is ranked higher than themselves (11th). They lost to Mankato twice (although way back in October) and lost to Michigan twice - and they literally did not play anyone else of note. The only tourney teams they have beaten are UMass-Lowell, Northeastern and AIC- all 4th seeds in their respective regions. Saw their coach interviewed - they lost 10 players from last year's championship team.

Yes, UMass is playing locally (of sorts), but a big crowd did not help the Gophers last weekend (and UMass crowd will be nowhere as large). I think the Gophers got a reasonable good draw - did not want to see the likes of UMD or UND in our bracket - always give us fits.
The crowd aspect really doesn't matter in a hockey game, but if they have an advantage related to location it's because they didn't have to travel as much.

I actually would have rather seen UND than Western in our bracket (which obviously wasn't a possibility by the time it was said and done). I think Western is more skilled and faster, especially if Sanderson isn't playing.

Tough draw for Gophs. Got defending champs Umass in their backyard off the bat, then probably Western Michigan.

Time to get back to the Frozen four and hopefully beyond.

Who do you guys think takes it?
gotta beat the best to be the best

Crazy review at the end of regulation in the North Dakota/ Notre Dame game

Looks like the Nacho conference juggernaut can't beat the 3rd place Big Ten team.

PS. I know the NCHC is better than the Big Ten. It's just that the NCHC fans are the equivalent to SEC football fans in thinking their teams are unbeatable due to their conference affiliation.

Longest review I can remember. Would like to hear an explanation.

ALBANY, N.Y. — Notre Dame thought it had the winning goal at the end of regulation of Thursday’s Albany Regional semifinal against North Dakota when Adam Karashik put in a rebound.

That’s not how the officials saw it after replay.

The puck appeared to cross the goal line before the green light went on but overhead replays shown on the ESPN broadcast indicated time expired long before that. There was a significant difference between the time on the broadcast clock, which was synced with the green light, and the clock burned into the overhead view.

After a roughly 12-minute review, referees Geno Binda Jr. and Jeremy Tufts came out of the scorer’s table with a no-goal call. That sent the game into overtime tied 1-1.

A request was made for an explanation of the review but that wasn’t responded to immediately.

Longest review I can remember. Would like to hear an explanation.
Basically they said it's not a hockey arena and all the camera angles are not perfectly synced with the clock. Even ESPN's clock and the green light at the arena are not precise. Not sure how they solved it for sure, but they got it right (supposedly).

The play:

The explanation:

Before the postgame press conferences began, the NCAA issued a statement regarding the play.

"The NCAA video replay system includes a burned-in camera view of the scoreboard clock, which is the official timing device," the statement said. "As many are aware, the ESPN program feed is not the official time. Additionally, the green light to signal the end of play is not an official part of the timing system.

"The overhead view that includes the scoreboard clock, which is synchronized with the video feed, clearly showed the clock expiring before the shot entered the goal. Therefore, the referees determined time had expired and there was no goal scored by Notre Dame."

In several ways the NCAA Hockey tournament is different in general than that of NCAA basketball. And these differences can allow lesser teams to advance more readily (and the path to a final four berth only goes through 2 games, not 4 or 5). Yes, they are both "one and done" type of tournaments, but scoring is so infrequent in hockey that the teams will play very conservatively - a lucky bounce, a fallen skater can easily be the reason for a win or a loss. Take yesterday's Mankato/Harvard game for example - Mankato was clearly the better team, but after a late Harvard power play goal, they were only one bad bounce from going to overtime, where anything can happen.

Looking at future NCAA Hockey tourney sites, why does the NCAA keep loading up all the locations in the East Coast? Most years at least half the field is made up of Midwest teams? There should be at least one site and I would argue at least two every year played in the Midwest (regardless of Championship game location). Loveland, CO is the lone nonEast Coast location this year. Teams from Michigan and Minnesota dominate the numbers most years.

In 2023- Connecticut and New Hampshire both host (Allentown, PA and Fargo other hosts) and in 2024- Massachusetts and Rhode Island (Maryland and Sioux Falls other hosts) host for reference.

Am I the only one questioning the NCAAs reasoning?

Looking at future NCAA Hockey tourney sites, why does the NCAA keep loading up all the locations in the East Coast? Most years at least half the field is made up of Midwest teams? There should be at least one site and I would argue at least two every year played in the Midwest (regardless of Championship game location). Loveland, CO is the lone nonEast Coast location this year. Teams from Michigan and Minnesota dominate the numbers most years.

In 2023- Connecticut and New Hampshire both host (Allentown, PA and Fargo other hosts) and in 2024- Massachusetts and Rhode Island (Maryland and Sioux Falls other hosts) host for reference.

Am I the only one questioning the NCAAs reasoning?
OMG - I thought this year was the anomaly with Allentown being the host for the "midwest" region (like it will be for next year as well). And next year's frozen four will be in Tampa (with Wisconsin as the host!) If it is any consolation, the Xcel Energy Center will host the Frozen Four in 2024 - but that is the only time any Mens' NCAA Hockey tournament action will occur in Minnesota through at least 2026. And the Allentown PPL Center must have some compromising pictures of someone high up in the NCAA ranks - counting 2022, this "hotbed of college hockey" is hosting a regional in 3 of the next 4 years.

Folks - NCAA would love more sites in West and Midwest but they only award regional to those universities and cities that bid for them. The problem is not enough cities in West and Midwest bid to host a regional. Fargo does every other year and Loveland occasionally. St. Louis is getting into the mix now with Lindenwood going D1 and they will host in next couple years. You can look up future regional and Frozen Fours to see where they are being held.

Folks - NCAA would love more sites in West and Midwest but they only award regional to those universities and cities that bid for them. The problem is not enough cities in West and Midwest bid to host a regional. Fargo does every other year and Loveland occasionally. St. Louis is getting into the mix now with Lindenwood going D1 and they will host in next couple years. You can look up future regional and Frozen Fours to see where they are being held.
The Big Ten should put in a bid for regionals every year. There are AHL teams in the B1G footprint whose arenas can host. Allstate Center (Rosemount IL), UW-M Arena (Milwaukee), Wells Fargo (Des Moines), BMO Harris Center (Rockford), and Van Andel Arena (Grand Rapids).

Good to know - thanks for the info. Unfortunately sometimes you get what you pay for - heard several negative comments about the size and ice quality of rinks in the tournament.

Top Bottom