NCAA Tournament Thoughts

They have 7 wins over other teams in the field, including 3 against top 4 seeds. They're plenty tested.
In what months? That matters. Teams change and improve. I don’t think Gonzaga has.

Anyone else feel like Illinois should be more worried about a Sweet 16 clash with Oklahoma State than a potential Elite 8 matchup against Houston. I think the Pokes are both more talented, and riding more momentum at the moment; a scary combo. Cade Cunningham is going to be a heck of a show in the dance!

Anyone else feel like Illinois should be more worried about a Sweet 16 clash with Oklahoma State than a potential Elite 8 matchup against Houston. I think the Pokes are both more talented, and riding more momentum at the moment; a scary combo. Cade Cunningham is going to be a heck of a show in the dance!

Also Cunningham is going to be extra motivated to keep winning and keep his collegiate career going since there is a good chance his next team will have to be the Timberwolves.

unfathomable to start13-2 (that was our high watermark, right?) and not make it.

SMH in perpetuity.

I think it’s great Duke & Kentucky did not make the big dance. First time since 1976. Good run, but all teams fall on hard times at some point

I am sickened for the committee setting up a second round match up of the only two Illinois teams to make the tournament. They should have been put on opposite sides of the brackets. I would feel the same way if they had done the same with Indiana & Indiana St. or Missouri & Missouri St. I would reference Minnesota against another D1 school from your state too but is there one?

I am sickened for the committee setting up a second round match up of the only two Illinois teams to make the tournament. They should have been put on opposite sides of the brackets. I would feel the same way if they had done the same with Indiana & Indiana St. or Missouri & Missouri St. I would reference Minnesota against another D1 school from your state too but is there one?
Uhh, why? They have plenty of other stuff to deal with other than worry about an intrastate match up between 2 team not in the same conference.

In fact I would argue the opposite, great story line. Drives ratings. Hope it happens.

My other thought, bummer that the Midwest Regional is not taking place at Target Center as originally scheduled. Would have been fun with Orange Crush in the house, could've partied like it was 1989 as they did at the HHH Dome.

Last edited:

I think it’s great Duke & Kentucky did not make the big dance. First time since 1976. Good run, but all teams fall on hard times at some point

They're great programs but not quite that great. KY didn't make the tournament in 2013, the year after their national championship. They made the NIT as a #1 seed but lost their first game. KY also didn't make the tournament for a three year period from 1989-91, part of that was due to probation but they also didn't have winning records for the first two of those seasons.

It's been longer for Duke but Duke didn't make the tournament in 1995 due to a losing season. They also didn't make the tournament for the first three years of Coach K's tenure (81-83).

U of St Thomas (in St Paul) is just moving to the Summit League starting next school year. Don't think they'll be eligible for DI post season tournaments for a few years?

There used to be a rule that transitioning DI teams could pick one men's and women's sport other than basketball to be eligible right away in. Because, yeah, if it's not bball, then who gives a crap right? Not sure if that still holds, but obviously doesn't matter for bball.

Thanks - still if, if, if we would have just played 500 the rest of the way. It was served up on a tee for him and he still couldn't take it home - he should forfeit the buyout

I know Zags is very good, just hard to say how good based on the competition in conference. Sort of the BBall version of Clemson in FB but magnified.

I've had my head in the sand. Had no idea that the schedule for the tournament was different this year. Was looking forward to all-day ball on Thursday.
Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know I should just be happy that there's a tourney this year.

Top Bottom