NCAA Ref Training Video #9

watched the whole video. the guy with the short pants had me scratching my head. why would you let a player go out on the field like that?

and the last play with the guy getting two unsportsmanlike penalties on the same play was a doozy.

... As far as those shorts, it's like he thought they were in an unpadded practice.
I was actually going to start a thread about the fad of wearing football pants pulled up like shorts prior to watching this video. It's been terrible this year. I'm old, so I think it looks ridiculous and I was assuming it was against the rules in some way but I haven't seen anything called this year. I'm expecting it to be a "point of emphasis" next year.

I was actually going to start a thread about the fad of wearing football pants pulled up like shorts prior to watching this video. It's been terrible this year. I'm old, so I think it looks ridiculous and I was assuming it was against the rules in some way but I haven't seen anything called this year. I'm expecting it to be a "point of emphasis" next year.
It trickles down from NFL and a number of other areas. 7v7 passing leagues don't have any pads other than head gear typically. Coaches hardly have any players wear fully padded pants practices anymore. NFL requires longs socks that covers up the knee, so it's not as noticeable.

It's not a penalty and it's supposed to be cleaned up during the warm-up by the officials. College officials are not going to enforce until the NCAA says to do so. In High School they are supposed to be sent out of the game until it is fixed. However, if you show up to a week 8 game and it's assumed they've been allowed to expose their knees all season, are you going to be the pant length enforcer at that point?

It trickles down from NFL and a number of other areas. 7v7 passing leagues don't have any pads other than head gear typically. Coaches hardly have any players wear fully padded pants practices anymore. NFL requires longs socks that covers up the knee, so it's not as noticeable.

It's not a penalty and it's supposed to be cleaned up during the warm-up by the officials. College officials are not going to enforce until the NCAA says to do so. In High School they are supposed to be sent out of the game until it is fixed. However, if you show up to a week 8 game and it's assumed they've been allowed to expose their knees all season, are you going to be the pant length enforcer at that point?
Also this has ebbed and flowed over time.

We had similar discussions about the shirts being tucked up too, I've seen that this year.

Eventually refs started warning guys about it and that went away.

Thanks for the added information. But, help me out on this. If it isn't a penalty, what needs to be "cleaned up" or "fixed"? If it's not a penalty, what happens if the player just says "no" when asked to pull the knees down on their pants?

Thanks for the added information. But, help me out on this. If it isn't a penalty, what needs to be "cleaned up" or "fixed"? If it's not a penalty, what happens if the player just says "no" when asked to pull the knees down on their pants?
Uniform stuff that doesn't involve immediate safety has traditionally been a "warn the dude so he can fix it".

It's not like it gives someone a real advantage and we see refs run up and tuck a guy's pads in right sometimes too. Just keeps the game going too.

If they don't then ... yeah probably a penalty if the ref things they're being willful about it, but I don't know how often that would even happen.

Last edited:

In HS a good crew will get these things fixed during pre-game warm-ups and if it is still a problem in the game, they are supposed to send the kid out for a play or until they can fix the problem.

Things of this nature include, arm/bicep and calf bands, untucked/long undershirts, bandana's hanging out the back of a helmet, exposed shoulder pads, uncovered back pad, uncovered knees, and tinted visors. Some are simple and a teammate can usually quickly help them out between plays by fixing their jersey to cover pads.

In HS a good crew will get these things fixed during pre-game warm-ups and if it is still a problem in the game, they are supposed to send the kid out for a play or until they can fix the problem.

Things of this nature include, arm/bicep and calf bands, untucked/long undershirts, bandana's hanging out the back of a helmet, exposed shoulder pads, uncovered back pad, uncovered knees, and tinted visors. Some are simple and a teammate can usually quickly help them out between plays by fixing their jersey to cover pads.

Maxy - help me out. is there a rule or just an understanding that the uniforms have to be......uniform. as in looking the same. I seem to remember some type of crack-down a few years back on what was acceptable.

Maxy - help me out. is there a rule or just an understanding that the uniforms have to be......uniform. as in looking the same. I seem to remember some type of crack-down a few years back on what was acceptable.
Jerseys are supposed to stop at the waistline or be tucked in. Undershirts are not supposed to show below the waistline or need to be tucked in. Unfortunately, these kids watch the NFL and NCAA and don't like to tuck things in. (Some of that is kids don't ever tuck things in from birth or wear jeans for that matter.) My kid likes to let an undershirt hangout because "my ass crack sticks out in my stance if it's under my jersey." He doesn't like the tucked in feeling. I say, if the ref makes you go out of the game, I'll say I told you so.

Technically no uniformity rule. They even changed the rule that all moisture absorbing towels no longer have to match.

Very good. Perhaps we can play a segment from that video at the stadium. Purely for educational purposes, mind you.

Top Bottom