NCAA expands probe into Auburn recruiting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From the article:

"In December, Lorio told FOXSports.com that several coaches and students saw Robinson show off cash and a new iPhone at school after making an unofficial visit to Auburn earlier in the year."

http://nmsn.foxsports.com/collegefo...n-recruiting-Greg-Robinson-Trovon-Reed-021611

This would be a good time to remind people of SportsGuy's tweet moments after the national championship game:

"I'd like to be the first person to congratulate Oregon on its retroactive national title you will be awarded in 2014."

Go Gophers!!

I am shocked that they may be paying players. If half the stuff is true about that FBI investigation, Auburn is done.

I am shocked that they may be paying players. If half the stuff is true about that FBI investigation, Auburn is done.

I'm not shocked after the whole Cam Newton debacle.

lol @ SEC's 'rampage' of National Titles.. Only if you pay your players.

Golly Gee. I had absolutely no idea any of this went on with College Athletics. Bummer. :banghead:

Just wait for the Fed's wiretaps to become public knowledge. Not only will the athletic dept feel it, the school may well lose their accreditation.

Auburn cheated, didn't see that one coming (sarcasm).

When they won, I felt like that national championship is like if John Calipari won one at Kentucky in Bball. It is just a matter of time before it never happend.

This probe or it's findings will be futile unless the NCAA comes down HARD on them. This would be the second major violation for the program. If 1/4 of the reports are true, nothing less than a SMU sized poison pill would be appropriate.

This probe or it's findings will be futile unless the NCAA comes down HARD on them. This would be the second major violation for the program. If 1/4 of the reports are true, nothing less than a SMU sized poison pill would be appropriate.

I don't think we'll ever see something like the SMU death penalty again. SMU is still trying to recover from it.

Considering USC has found ways around their recruiting restrictions (due to them "appealing" the decision), I'm sure if Auburn does get penalties, they will find ways around them.

Considering USC has found ways around their recruiting restrictions (due to them "appealing" the decision), I'm sure if Auburn does get penalties, they will find ways around them.

The only thing is that Auburn had Previous major infractions and actually had a year (1993) where they went undefeated, but couldn't play in any bowls.

I am shocked by your lack of shock at people's shock.

Care to go one more? :D

Go Gophers!

I'm shocked that you're shocked that he's shocked that people are shocked...and then I'm forced to come to a stop, which is probably a good thing, because if I continue on with that line of thinking, then there is every possibility my head might just explode.

Urban Meyer's recent quotes about corruption ruining college football, and you know he was speaking of the SEC specifically, may leave the NCAA with no choice but to start reining in the cheating programs.

Urban Meyer's recent quotes about corruption ruining college football, and you know he was speaking of the SEC specifically, may leave the NCAA with no choice but to start reining in the cheating programs.

A la the SWC in the 80's?

The SEC difference from the SWC was that the schools that got caught in the SWC did not have big fan bases. You did not see A&M, Baylor, or AR get probation, just TCU and SMU, i.e. the schools with aspirations a lot bigger than their fan bases. Wacker turned TCU in himself when he found out there were carryover kids getting money from the prior regime.Everybody in that conference cheated.
In the SEC, the historically consistently borderline programs are Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama although Saban is a smart guy, he won't knowingly cheat, Miss St, and LSU. Ky used to cheat. Vandy does who knows what, I have no idea why they are still in the conference. Florida does not cheat, and basically does not have to cheat, or have not had to since Galen Hall coached there.
Based on the FLA President's comments, I think they find it embarrassing to be in a conference this unethical. Fla is a good school with expectations more like the BigTen in terms of academics, etc. Pretty hard to leave to the conference though.

I'm shocked that you're shocked that he's shocked that people are shocked...and then I'm forced to come to a stop, which is probably a good thing, because if I continue on with that line of thinking, then there is every possibility my head might just explode.

Well played, sir...I concede. But really, back to the topic at hand, it is really disappointing they cheat in the $EC. I'm so glad we don't do that in the Big 10. :D

Go Gophers!

All of these people being shocked is shocking.

Well played, sir...I concede. But really, back to the topic at hand, it is really disappointing they cheat in the $EC. I'm so glad we don't do that in the Big 10. :D

Go Gophers!

I won't say no one does it in the BigTen, but if they do it will be an underground system of extras for players (aka tOSU), not actual cash paid to come to the school by big time boosters like in the SEC. I believe at several schools, e.g. scUM, and tOSU, the university Presidents definitely do pay attention to the feelings of boosters, but I don't think there are any schools in the BigTen where there is a Board of Governors, Regents, or anything else that would dictate to the President like has happened for sure at Auburn, and others in that conference. I would actually be very surprised if any BigTen school paid players at this point, or systematically cheated.
I am not saying everything is squeaky clean, but BigTen schools and fans are really embarrassed with these kinds of problems, most of the SEC schools and all of their fans see these problems as the cost of doing business.

Top Bottom