NCAA Basketball: 10 coaches who will face the most pressure entering 2024-25 season (Ben Johnson, Minnesota)

Will we be able to get any player capable of replacing Garcia's production once he's gone?

Extremely doubtful that we would get a forward capable of replacing Garcia's offensive contributions anytime soon regardless of who is coaching. At least the losses this offseason didn't include the most irreplaceable player.

Our athletic program has the money to hire a better coach, and to me better coach = more interest = more NIL = more success and the cycle repeats.

There are people on this board who claim they are die-hard fans who have had season tickets for years but have also said that they don't believe in fans having to contribute funds to pay players. I'm not saying that viewpoint is wrong but it does call into question how much escalation of NIL funding would follow a new coaching hire.

Hopefully, schools will be allowed to pay players directly in the future and that should help attract players to conferences with rich TV contracts.

I mean fairly easy answer. Too many people give CBJ/Coyle/bball program a pass. Sure we aren't Duke, KU, OSU etc in terms of NIL or cache, that's fine I'm not asking for titles every year. But to say woe is us no one will ever want to coach here, we will always be terrible is an awful take. Our athletic program has the money to hire a better coach, and to me better coach = more interest = more NIL = more success and the cycle repeats.

Sure it's not entirely CBJs fault the roster is new, but in 3 years he hasn't exactly don't much to help it, so yes NCAAs or bust for me, don't care what the record is.
I'm heartened by the idea that any article writer would say there's pressure on Johnson. That means that it's still realistic to have expectations here, which means there's still a heartbeat, although faint.

I don't believe this roster will make the NCAA tourney with Ben as the head coach and the same assistants that have been here the last 3 years leading them. I'm not sure this roster makes it if they have Coach K, Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach and Norman Dale as the coaching staff. But I digress.

To say tourney or bust means that the next coach will have those same parameters. I don't think Coyle is willing to do that. He also knows he'll be called a racist because he moved on from BenJo and let Pitino hang on the vine.

Ultimately the program needs a major restructure and that starts with the coach. I don't think he can lead this program to reasonable heights (1 tourney bid in 4 years is reasonable) but I hope he proves me wrong.

He did do a nice job redoing this roster on the fly.

I don't believe this roster will make the NCAA tourney with Ben as the head coach and the same assistants that have been here the last 3 years leading them. I'm not sure this roster makes it if they have Coach K, Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach and Norman Dale as the coaching staff. But I digress.

To say tourney or bust means that the next coach will have those same parameters. I don't think Coyle is willing to do that. He also knows he'll be called a racist because he moved on from BenJo and let Pitino hang on the vine.

Ultimately the program needs a major restructure and that starts with the coach. I don't think he can lead this program to reasonable heights (1 tourney bid in 4 years is reasonable) but I hope he proves me wrong.

He did do a nice job redoing this roster on the fly.
Clem was here for 13 years and went to the NCAAs in 6 of them. That's realistic. There's little reason Minnesota can't be successful and relevant to at least that level.

I don't think Coyle has to worry about outrage over firing Ben if we miss the tournament again. First, Pitino made an NCAA tournament within 4 years so he's not being unfair and second, there won't be anyone who still cares enough to fake being outraged.
Charlie H is on line one.

Clem was here for 13 years and went to the NCAAs in 6 of them. That's realistic. There's little reason Minnesota can't be successful and relevant to at least that level.
Yeah but could Clem have made it without players like Burton, Newbern, Bobby Jackson, Jacobson, etc.?

Yeah but could Clem have made it without players like Burton, Newbern, Bobby Jackson, Jacobson, etc.?
I'm not really sure what you're talking about.
I think we can all agree that you can't be successful on coaching alone. Of course, if BJ makes a tournament bid it's going to be with the players he surrounds himself with.
:rolleyes:

But that hasn’t been realistic for the Gophers since the late 90s. They did turn the football program around, so there is hope.

But that hasn’t been realistic for the Gophers since the late 90s. They did turn the football program around, so there is hope.
Tubby made the tournament in 3 of 6 years. If we fire a coach for poor performance, it doesn't seem like that level of performance should be considered so high as to be unattainable and unrealistic.

At one time, Turkey, Austria/Hungary and Great Britain led expansive empires where they could summon extensive resources. Things change.

The current environment is one that isn't particularly favorable to a program like Minnesota. But, carry on ignoring the differences in time periods and consulting ancient history for your inspiration.

At one time, Turkey, Austria/Hungary and Great Britain led expansive empires where they could summon extensive resources. Things change.

The current environment is one that isn't particularly favorable to a program like Minnesota. But, carry on ignoring the differences in time periods and consulting ancient history for your inspiration.
Your hypothesis is vague and unsupported.

Top Bottom