NCAA 1st round games in Minneapolis

GopherGoddess

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what time the basketball game(s) will be at in the Metrodome on Friday, March 20th? We are closing on our house that day, and I'm trying to set our closing appointment around it. I can't remember if they are usually day games or evening games. What time would be best to set my closing for so that I don't miss any of the games?

Thanks!!

Most likely the first session will start somewhere between 11:15-11:30 a.m., the second session between 6:45-7:15 p.m..

Your best bet would be to schedule between 4 and 6.

I don't think times are set until after the field is announced, however usually there is only 1 late time slot, that would seem to be Boise in the West.

So I would guess the first game would start between 11 and 12. 2nd game between 130 and 230. So the 2nd game would end around 430 at the latest. Late session usually starts around 6 or 630 I believe.

I would say your best bet would be to schedule that thing for as early as possible. See if you can't get the 8am or 9am spot. That should free up the rest of your day with no worries. The earliest games would be 11am or later.

Thanks everyone! I know they don't usually keep schools at home, but I heard rumors that they were going to change this due to the state of the economy. If (or should I say WHEN) the Gophs get into the tourney, is there any chance that they could play at the Metrodome??

Thanks everyone! I know they don't usually keep schools at home, but I heard rumors that they were going to change this due to the state of the economy. If (or should I say WHEN) the Gophs get into the tourney, is there any chance that they could play at the Metrodome??

No, Minnesota is the host school, so they cannot play at the Metrodome.

Absolutely false. The U will not be at the dome. No way, no how. It is against NCAA regulations for the Gophers to play at the location where they are the host school. Why are people on the board still struggling with this concept?

The best case scenario (for me, at least) is the Gophers playing on Thursday. That way I don't have to sell my tickets for Friday's Dome games.

If you want a close up look at the teams, find out which day is the open practice day for the public and go. We have done this when the final four was here. It is kind of cool to see how coaches run these hour long practices. The coaches often let the kids do a dunk-a-rama at practice end to entertain the crowd.

GoGoGophers

I'm not sure about this, but I think when a school is hosting and their team makes the NCAA Tournament, the Selection Committee does everything it can to bracket them on the opposite days when they're hosting. So if the Gophers make the tournament, I'd guess they'll be at a Thursday-Saturday site, allowing Gopher/college hoops fans to both watch their team on TV on Thursday (or maybe even drive to Kansas City for a "power road trip"!) and attend the games in Minneapolis on Friday/Sunday.

I'm not sure about this, but I think when a school is hosting and their team makes the NCAA Tournament, the Selection Committee does everything it can to bracket them on the opposite days when they're hosting. So if the Gophers make the tournament, I'd guess they'll be at a Thursday-Saturday site, allowing Gopher/college hoops fans to both watch their team on TV on Thursday (or maybe even drive to Kansas City for a "power road trip"!) and attend the games in Minneapolis on Friday/Sunday.

I think they try to accomodate fans, but I'm not sure I'd categorize it as everything they can. They know that most of the local tickets have been sold for months, and it will not affect sales for the schools coming to Mpls. I hope you're right, though.

In regards to the "power road trip"...I'll drive the bus if they're in KC.

Top Bottom