NBA Draft as it Might Affect Marcus Carr

Calgoph

Reaction score
Quoted from an article by Chance Linton posted on TheBootleg (247Sports) dated July 7. The key information lies in the second paragraph.

“The 2020 NBA Draft was originally scheduled to take place on June 25 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. But the draft date has been pushed back to Oct. 16 and the NBA Draft Lottery is expected to be held on Aug. 25, assuming the regular season resumes as scheduled on July 30.

"As a result of the dates being pushed back, the NCAA has announced the deadline for players to withdraw their names from the draft and retain their college eligibility will be 10 days after the NBA Draft Combine or Aug. 3, whichever comes first.

"Due to an NCAA rule change instituted last year, players are allowed to hire an agent without forfeiting their college eligibility. Players can also elect to return to school if they go undrafted, but this rule only applies to players who participate in the NBA Draft Combine.”

So, by August 3rd Carr must decide what he’s doing.
Will we know if basketball and football are spring sports by August 3rd?
Will we have a vaccine in December, January or February?
Times they are a changin

So, by August 3rd Carr must decide what he’s doing.
Will we know if basketball and football are spring sports by August 3rd?
Will we have a vaccine in December, January or February?
I think it's going to be more like Sept/Oct when we find out if we can hope for a vaccine by Xmas. They will probably need to start the mfg'ing process going by then. My gut feeling, backed up by nothing.

Given the declining likelihood of their being a college season, you have to think it increases the odds that Carr will stay in the draft and roll the dice.

Given the declining likelihood of their being a college season, you have to think it increases the odds that Carr will stay in the draft and roll the dice.
I’d argue the other way.
If you are a surefire NBA guy I think you stay in the draft. But if you are a tweener who would be leaving early to make money in the D league or Europe...the fact the D league and European Leagues might not end up playing might incentivize you to stay on full ride another year even without a season

I think it's going to be more like Sept/Oct when we find out if we can hope for a vaccine by Xmas. They will probably need to start the mfg'ing process going by then. My gut feeling, backed up by nothing.
A vaccine on average takes 3 years to develop if done right. If there is a vaccine by christmas, I hope no one decides to use it.

He will probably decide based on what he determines is the most likely scenario he actually ends up playing basketball.

He will probably decide based on what he determines is the most likely scenario he actually ends up playing basketball.
Pretty much. I don't think either has great odds, but the NBA/D-League is more likely than college it seems.

A vaccine on average takes 3 years to develop if done right. If there is a vaccine by christmas, I hope no one decides to use it.
The Oxford/Astra candidate was already in development before cv19 pandemic hit. Hence why I believe it is the farthest along. It was for another coronavirus, but adapted to sars2.

This is from memory so may be wrong.

I get wanting the vaccine to be safe. And I’m not accusing you of this. But I absolutely believe there is a segment of people who want the vaccine to fail and/or want scientists to announce that we won’t have one until multiple years from now, as a means of forcing people to “give up” resisting the virus.

I won’t have it.

Give the vaccine a chance until the end of the calendar year. Then we’ll see.

There are double figures of companies racing to develop a vaccine. Human testing is going on right now. It’ll be here.
Regarding how safe it is....lol have you watched TV? Every drug commercial has a very long list of side effects, including death. The vaccine will be similar to many of those or less ominous imo

I’d argue the other way.
If you are a surefire NBA guy I think you stay in the draft. But if you are a tweener who would be leaving early to make money in the D league or Europe...the fact the D league and European Leagues might not end up playing might incentivize you to stay on full ride another year even without a season
Agreed. You're not going to give up a free-ride education to take a long shot on getting into the NBA. The D and Europe leagues are going to be financial casualties. IMO, all of this increases his odds of staying.

The Oxford/Astra candidate was already in development before cv19 pandemic hit. Hence why I believe it is the farthest along. It was for another coronavirus, but adapted to sars2.

This is from memory so may be wrong.

I get wanting the vaccine to be safe. And I’m not accusing you of this. But I absolutely believe there is a segment of people who want the vaccine to fail and/or want scientists to announce that we won’t have one until multiple years from now, as a means of forcing people to “give up” resisting the virus.

I won’t have it.

Give the vaccine a chance until the end of the calendar year. Then we’ll see.
I could care less whether they do develop the vaccine, I'm just not going to be taking it. Just like I don't get a flu shot shot every year as many do which results in a lower immune system. I just can't stand the need from the general populous for a vaccine to feel safe. This is not small pox, polio, etc... Median age of death in most countries is somewhere between 80-85 which does not affect the majority of the population. Cases are skyrocketing due to increased testing, but deaths are not, indicating that it is not as deadly as we thought or is mutating and becoming less deadly over time. Also not taking any injection developed by criminal fraud bill gates who has been murdering people around the world for years with the aid of the world health org.

I could care less whether they do develop the vaccine, I'm just not going to be taking it. Just like I don't get a flu shot shot every year as many do which results in a lower immune system. I just can't stand the need from the general populous for a vaccine to feel safe. This is not small pox, polio, etc... Median age of death in most countries is somewhere between 80-85 which does not affect the majority of the population. Cases are skyrocketing due to increased testing, but deaths are not, indicating that it is not as deadly as we thought or is mutating and becoming less deadly over time. Also not taking any injection developed by criminal fraud bill gates who has been murdering people around the world for years with the aid of the world health org.
Thanks for sharing your mindset.

You are free to control what goes into your body, or not. It would seem from what you've wrote here, that nothing I say is likely to change your mind about taking the vaccine. That is fine.

What I will say instead, is that people who are making the decisions seem to be treating the situation as if a vaccine is coming sooner than later. So it's like, "just shut it down until the vaccine is here, hopefully by Xmas". Agree or not, I'm getting that feeling, or maybe I'm feeling like it will start rapidly going that way.

And the reason is because deaths have started to increase again. The last three days of deaths reported (yes, I understand there are lags and all the different reports aren't synchronized) are ominous.

If you scroll down to "Latest News" here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
I don't know what 24hr period counts for each day of reporting, but we're up to 701 deaths for today and 63k new cases reported (which seems to be a new record for cases), so far.

Weekends people are more active, and more interactive. So the reports over the first half of next week could be very telling.

You are free to control what goes into your body, or not. It would seem from what you've wrote here, that nothing I say is likely to change your mind about taking the vaccine. That is fine.

What I will say instead, is that people who are making the decisions seem to be treating the situation as if a vaccine is coming sooner than later. So it's like, "just shut it down until the vaccine is here, hopefully by Xmas". Agree or not, I'm getting that feeling, or maybe I'm feeling like it will start rapidly going that way.

And the reason is because deaths have started to increase again. The last three days of deaths reported (yes, I understand there are lags and all the different reports aren't synchronized) are ominous.

If you scroll down to "Latest News" here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
I don't know what 24hr period counts for each day of reporting, but we're up to 701 deaths for today and 63k new cases reported (which seems to be a new record for cases), so far.

Weekends people are more active, and more interactive. So the reports over the first half of next week could be very telling.
Very fair points, I am just gravely concerned for society in general that most are okay with being held hostage while they wait for some miracle vaccine. I just want some freaking basketball lol. I know that is selfish, but practice good hygiene, exercise, eat real food, get sun light, make sure your essential vitamin intake is good, and there is nothing to fear.

Fauci testified that its very possible that there may never be a safe and effective vaccine. So if that's the case people will just have to hide forever I guess.

Nonetheless, the risk to an individual becomes greater when access to care is delayed or (Houston/NYC) is unavailable. Staying isolated forever probably isn’t the answer, but hopefully more and more people, individually, can take actions to slow the spread. Look, I’ve got a baby coming in a month. Have I comfortably gone to the hardware store a couple times a month? Yes. But am I going to let my extended family, who has been posting pictures while partying on social media, see my first child anytime soon? Absolutely not, even though it’s heartbreaking for my wife and I.

I know people can’t hide forever, but achieving herd immunity without a vaccine would probably be devastating. I hope that people online and our political leaders can stop looking at this as a binary outcome. Everyone should be a proactive and creative participant in this. (Queue you Costanza, “you know, we’re living in a society!” - )

As it relates to college basketball, I would assess this twofold (but hopefully the powers at be have given this a lot more thought haha)

1) what is the risk for each individual that’s part of the production (including the long term effects, some highlighted by windycity’s post over on the football board)?
2) what is the likelihood that the players/coaches/managers/tv crews/etc spread this outside of the bubble and/or use up a considerable amount of hospital resources.

Fauci testified that its very possible that there may never be a safe and effective vaccine. So if that's the case people will just have to hide forever I guess.
But we will see, first. We're not going to give up now.

My wild guess is that if it gets to Xmas/New Year's and the companies are say "yeah, it's looking like maybe next summer now" , then those hard decisions will have to be made.

Give it a chance, first.

But we will see, first. We're not going to give up now.

My wild guess is that if it gets to Xmas/New Year's and the companies are say "yeah, it's looking like maybe next summer now" , then those hard decisions will have to be made.

Give it a chance, first.
I read some epidemiologist commentary recently... My takeaway was that it was reasonable to expect several vaccines by around January, but none would be 100% effective. A vaccine may be approved by FDA if it’s odds at reducing infection is greater than 50%. But, in terms of probability, a “weak” vaccine would help achieve herd immunity and reducing the abundance of the virus in the wild. In the context of a pandemic, a vaccine is just as much about reducing that R value as it is keeping an individual safe in an exposure event.

There is no truth in any of your statements. Please take the time to research the actual information before you just blindly make conclusions or repeat what you have"heard". Let me respond and you can look it up, but please stay off of the blogs for your sources.

I could care less whether they do develop the vaccine,

- A vaccinated person adds to the numbers in "herd immunity" and hastens the demise of the virus. The virus only stops when it can no longer find a person to infect during it's life cycle. Here are charts that shows the "herd immunity" for various illnesses and the impact of vaccinations. Note that the typical flu is in the 33-44% while Covid-19 is in the 65-75% range. Anyone that doesn't get the vaccination is prolonging the problem and hurting the economy.
1594483392821.png
And thank goodness we have let science work on reducing the pain and suffering of other diseases:

1594483514717.png

I'm just not going to be taking it. Just like I don't get a flu shot shot every year as many do which results in a lower immune system.

Do you even know what antibodies are? Vaccinations produce antibodies that enhance your immune system, that is how it works. You must be confusing it with the overuse of antibiotics in products like hand soap, etc..

I just can't stand the need from the general populous for a vaccine to feel safe. This is not small pox, polio, etc...

This was answered above. If you do not understand why people do not want to die, then ????

Median age of death in most countries is somewhere between 80-85 which does not affect the majority of the population.

Again, a total misunderstanding of the impact of Covid-19. The death rates are considerably higher for the elderly, but that does not mean that no one else is affected by Covid-19.

Here is a chart that shows that the death rates are
significantly high for Covid-19 than the flu. You may consider 1-2% a very low percentage, but for the US that means 3-6 million people dying.

1594483933065.png
And we all know that dying is not the only issue. Here is a chart that shows the hospitalizations:

1594484371533.png

Cases are skyrocketing due to increased testing, but deaths are not, indicating that it is not as deadly as we thought or is mutating and becoming less deadly over time.

Here is a good resource that gives the data on the number of tests and the rate of positive cases. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/tracker/overview

Positive tests rates in many states in increasing dramatically, which clearly states that infections have increased. Ala - 14%, Arz - 28%, Fl - 19%, Geo - 14%, Mis - 19%, SC - 16%, Tx - 15%. Most other states are in the low single digits.

Deaths have dropped as a percentage because we have learned how to better treat it and the majority of those now getting infected are younger. There are many site to go visit that show what mutations have taken place with eh virus in specific parts of the world. Most are very minor. The most significant mutation is from the D614 out of China to the G614 out of Europe which has made it more infectious.

Also not taking any injection developed by criminal fraud bill gates who has been murdering people around the world for years with the aid of the world health org.

Did one of those black helicopters give you this? Not away of any Gates ownership on Moderna
or any of the other leading vaccine candidates.

There is no truth in any of your statements. Please take the time to research the actual information before you just blindly make conclusions or repeat what you have"heard". Let me respond and you can look it up, but please stay off of the blogs for your sources.
Thanks for taking your time on this research. If my claims are as crazy as you state, why put so much effort in refuting them? Clearly the black helicopters have my mind scrambled and no one of sound mind would believe anything I say.

Your entire premise is built on misinformation, or at least outdated incorrect information.
1) The herd immunity threshold for COVID-19 is between 10-20%. In the early days it was speculated to be 70%, but now scientists from Oxford, Virginia Tech and the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine as well as Stanford's Nobel-laureate Dr. Michael Levitt have said that HI is in the 10-20% range. Dr. Levitt predicted this 7 weeks ago. His prediction is proving correct. In Sweden, where they took minimal lock down actions, you can see in their death graph, that deaths peaked when the Herd Immunity was halfway (HIT: ~7%) and once the virus hit 14% (near the HI prediction) it was nearly extinguished. Both these numbers point to the actual HI being around 20%, nowhere near the numbers you are claiming to be true. Bottom line is Sweden is almost done with this virus, and the true HI number is ~20%.
2) In Sweden only 70 people under 49 years old have died of Covid-19, that is 1.3% of their Covid-19 deaths. In the US the average person who dies from Covid-19 has an average of 2.5 co-morbid conditions.
3) Scientists are now showing evidence that up to 81% of people can mount a strong response to COVID-19 without ever having been exposed to it. This explains why the HI is in the 10-20 range and not your 65-75 range.

Now Sweden made mistakes, but their overall approach of almost no lock down is proving out to be the right approach. Their mistake was they should have better protected their vulnerable populations, other than that they are way ahead of everyone else. Sweden is nearly done with the problem, and we are talking about lock downs indefinitely. Its incredibly stupid. The best thing we could do is have the people that can best handle this illness develop immunity as fast as possible then this nightmare will be over, instead its water torture, all the while we are destroying our economy, saddling our youth with enormous amounts of debt. I read an article 3-4 weeks ago that said we have lost over 40% of minority owned businesses from this lock down, numbers are probably even higher now. If we want our minority neighbors to be able to rise up in America, bankrupting their dreams and families will set us back decades. We are also starting to see other fall-out as well. Large increases in deaths from heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's because people have not been able to go to the hospital. Drug abuse, domestic abuse, and suicides all up. The unfortunate thing is many people are not getting the real numbers, facts and analysis. We are being fed fear porn non stop.

Last edited:

Your entire premise is built on misinformation, or at least outdated incorrect information.
1) The herd immunity threshold for COVID-19 is between 10-20%. In the early days it was speculated to be 70%, but now scientists from Oxford, Virginia Tech and the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine as well as Stanford's Nobel-laureate Dr. Michael Levitt have said that HIT is in the 10-20% range. Dr. Levitt predicted this 7 weeks ago. His prediction is proving correct. In Sweden, where they took minimal lock down actions, you can see in their death graph, that deaths peaked when the HIT was halfway (~7%) and once the virus hit 14% (near the HIT prediction) it was nearly extinguished. Both these numbers point to the actual HIT being around 20%, nowhere near the numbers you are claiming to be true. Bottom line is Sweden is almost done with this virus, and the true HIT number is ~20%.
2) In Sweden only 70 people under 49 years old have died of Covid-19, that is 1.3% of their Covid-19 deaths. In the US the average person who dies from Covid-19 has an average of 2.5 co-morbid conditions.
3) Scientists are now showing evidence that up to 81% of people can mount a strong response to COVID-19 without ever having been exposed to it. This explains why the HIT is in the 10-20 range and not your 65-75 range.

Now Sweden made mistakes, but their overall approach of almost no lock down is proving out to be the right approach. Their mistake was they should have better protected their vulnerable populations, other than that they are way ahead of everyone else. Sweden is nearly done with the problem, and we are talking about lock downs indefinitely. Its incredibly stupid. The best thing we could do is have the people that can best handle this illness develop immunity as fast as possible then this nightmare will be over, instead its water torture, all the while we are destroying our economy, saddling our youth with enormous amounts of debt. I read an article 3-4 weeks ago that said we have lost over 40% of minority owned businesses from this lock down, numbers are probably even higher now. If we want our minority neighbors to be able to rise up in America, bankrupting their dreams and families will set us back decades. We are also starting to see other fall-out as well. Large increases in deaths from heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's because people have not been able to go to the hospital. Drug abuse, domestic abuse, and suicides all up. The unfortunate thing is many people are not getting the real numbers, facts and analysis. We are being fed fear porn non stop.
you better check your sources. Sweden is not the model:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/business/sweden-economy-coronavirus.html

“Ever since the coronavirus emerged in Europe, Sweden has captured international attention by conducting an unorthodox, open-air experiment. It has allowed the world to examine what happens in a pandemic when a government allows life to carry on largely unhindered.

This is what has happened: Not only have thousands more people died than in neighboring countries that imposed lockdowns, but Sweden’s economy has fared little better.

“They literally gained nothing,” said Jacob F. Kirkegaard, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington. “It’s a self-inflicted wound, and they have no economic gains.”

I could find no credible information that supports your low herd immunity claims.

This is like going to several different doctors for a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion. You end up going with whoever tells you what you want to hear..

you better check your sources. Sweden is not the model:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/business/sweden-economy-coronavirus.html

“Ever since the coronavirus emerged in Europe, Sweden has captured international attention by conducting an unorthodox, open-air experiment. It has allowed the world to examine what happens in a pandemic when a government allows life to carry on largely unhindered.

This is what has happened: Not only have thousands more people died than in neighboring countries that imposed lockdowns, but Sweden’s economy has fared little better.

“They literally gained nothing,” said Jacob F. Kirkegaard, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington. “It’s a self-inflicted wound, and they have no economic gains.”

I could find no credible information that supports your low herd immunity claims.

The point is Sweden’s damage is almost done while everyone else’s is going to keep going for a long time. Here is a link to an interview with Dr. Levitt, where he explains his prediction in May:

In it you will see that he states, "If Sweden stops at about 5,000 or 6,000 deaths, we will know that they’ve reached herd immunity, and we didn’t need to do any kind of lockdown."

Guess what :
1) Sweden's deaths: ~5,526
2) New deaths in Sweden, nearly 0
2020-07-13_8-45-13.jpg

3) Here you can see a chart on Stockholm vs Rest of Sweden. You can see that by end of June infected population in Stockholm was at 14% and their deaths were nearing 0. This shows that the 65% to 75% was a ridiculous number:
2020-07-13_8-56-14.jpg

That garbage herd immunity 65-75% number was used in the Imperial Model which predicted 2.2 million deaths in the US, you can see we won't even have a fraction of that so you can see just how ridiculous this model was. At current predictions this Covid-19 would end up as the 4th worst flu in US history, not some ridiculous 2.2 million deaths. Then you have Dr. Levitt's prediction for Sweden's death counts to be 5,000 - 6,000, which is going to be spot on. Who should be credible and who should be ignored?

I would advise that you look at real data not what is being fed to you by the fear merchant industry.

Last edited:

Top Bottom