Navy

ncgo4

Reaction score
There was some initial mention of Ken Nuimatalolo, head coach at Navy. He has a pretty impressive record and might open a Samoan pipeline. 23-12 is very impressive anywhere, but particularly at a military academy. Calhoun is 30-18, and everyone has him at the top of the second tier - the realistic tier.

I really don't know details about either (except Brewster beat one of them) I'm just surprised we don't have any talk about Ken.

The reason they don't talk to Ken is because everyone knows that its Paul Johnson that
built up the Navy program.

The best of the three service academy coaches just might be Rich Ellerson at Army. He's
bringing the Cadets back, but the Army fan in me wants him to stay right there.

No thanks....He looked very Masonesque losing to Duke last week after beating Notre Dame the week before.....

No thanks....He looked very Masonesque losing to Duke last week after beating Notre Dame the week before.....

Coach Niumataolo is #1 on my list. While Paul Johnson built the Navy program, coach Niumataolo has done a fantastic job in coaching the team, and managing the program. He is a fantastic coach; Paul Johnson has repeatedly spoken about his brilliance (which is impressive), and he is a young, energetic guy who I think can recruit, and represent the school well.

I hope that whoever makes the final decision on the head coach has a decision horizon longer than your one-game horizon. People's knee-jerk reactions are really becoming problematic in this country. One game does not define the success of a coach just like one week of jobless claims does not say a damn thing about the state of the economy. I'll see you one week and raise you a career of unequivocal success.

In fact, Navy was down 24 points in the second half and lost by 3. One of the arguments against him (actually, his flexbone offense) is it can't come from behind. Granted, it was Duke, but they did have their opportunities to get a W.

Maybe they can get a better candidate. If so, that's great. But I would hope they at least talk to Coach Niumataolo (whether Maturi has the guts to make the hire for a coach who would run an unconventional offense is another matter).

I think the Gophers would be successful running something like the flexbone, or any
of the SA offenses. Running the option enables teams with perhaps lesser ability
to be competitive.

I actually like those types of offenses- even for the Gophers.

You are right about Coach Ken. It may take more time before other
schools start calling him, though.

The biggest difference is that Ken is more of a true triple option guy, where as Calhoun is more of a pro style guy who happens to run the Triple due to circumstance.

The biggest difference is that Ken is more of a true triple option guy, where as Calhoun is more of a pro style guy who happens to run the Triple due to circumstance.

This is why I wouldn't be upset with Calhoun. Circumstances should influence the coaching style/system.

Good point. You can argue that Mason went with all the cutblocking because he knew our offensive linemen were going to be overmatched physically. Whatever works.

I wonder how Gray would do in a 3X option offense? He's athletic enough. The challenge is that the QB needs to make split second decisions. That's the biggest question mark on Gray; whether the game has slowed down for him yet. I fear not, as otherwise he'd probably already be playing.

We should hire Trestman so we can get a Canadian pipeline going. Think how dominant we'd be with all the best Canadians (both French and English speaking)

I actually like the Samoan pipeline angle.

Samoans seem to be naturally gifted at the game of football.

Calhoun's resume overall is much more impressive and that's why I would rate him a little higher. Niumatalolo has been at Navy most of his career. Calhoun has been successful in college and the NFL. As offensive coordinator and head coach Niumatalolo has run only one offense. Calhoun has run several different ones. I think Niumatalolo could be successful in MN, but I think Calhoun would be the better pick right now.

Samoa has GREAT HS football, but so many West Coast teams have already tapped
into that market already, that even Ken might have some trouble making it a BIG
source...but you never know.

Top Bottom