National champions since 2000 ranked (USA Today)

Some guy

Reaction score

not sure how they can say 2001 Miami 1 but 2002 Ohio state 17 given the context that in December 2002 the media were saying 2002 Miami > 2001 Miami

1. 2001 MIAMI
2. 2019 LSU
3. 2018 CLEMSON
4. 2013 FSU
5. 2004 USC
6. 2020 BAMA
7. 2021 GEORGIA
8. 2008 FLORIDA
9. 2005 TEXAS
10. 2011 BAMA
11. 2012 BAMA
12. 2015 BAMA
13. 2016 CLEMSON
14. 2009 BAMA
15. 2000 OKLAHOMA
16. 2014 OHIO STATE
17. 2002 OHIO STATE
18. 2010 AUBURN
19. 2017 BAMA
20. 2006 FLORIDA
21. 2003 LSU
22. 2007 LSU

Could be recency bias but 2020 Alabama was pretty dominant. Obviously so were most of these teams but off memory I would put them above 2018 Clemson and 2013 FSU.

Could be recency bias but 2020 Alabama was pretty dominant. Obviously so were most of these teams but off memory I would put them above 2018 Clemson and 2013 FSU.
I probably would too but 2020 Alabama was an odd year from a Covid standpoint. They don’t post methodology but I’m guessing it was a vote by some group of people. A couple of people probably rated Alabama close to the bottom of the list because of Covid alone.

Reactions: ZPI

Was there an NFL team in LA in 2004? If not, the the only national champion since 2000 to compete for fan and media attention in their market was Miami.

Was there an NFL team in LA in 2004? If not, the the only national champion since 2000 to compete for fan and media attention in their market was Miami.
That's if you don't lump in LSU with New Orleans, or Ohio State with the two pro teams in Ohio. Or Georgia with the Falcons.

That's if you don't lump in LSU with New Orleans, or Ohio State with the two pro teams in Ohio. Or Georgia with the Falcons.
It’s a two hour drive from Clemson to Charlotte and two hours the other way to Atlanta

not sure how they can say 2001 Miami 1 but 2002 Ohio state 17 given the context that in December 2002 the media were saying 2002 Miami > 2001 Miami

1. 2001 MIAMI
2. 2019 LSU
3. 2018 CLEMSON
4. 2013 FSU
5. 2004 USC
6. 2020 BAMA
7. 2021 GEORGIA
8. 2008 FLORIDA
9. 2005 TEXAS
10. 2011 BAMA
11. 2012 BAMA
12. 2015 BAMA
13. 2016 CLEMSON
14. 2009 BAMA
15. 2000 OKLAHOMA
16. 2014 OHIO STATE
17. 2002 OHIO STATE
18. 2010 AUBURN
19. 2017 BAMA
20. 2006 FLORIDA
21. 2003 LSU
22. 2007 LSU

Yeah but that 01 team was stacked. Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Bryant McKinnie, Jeremy Shockey, Ed Reed, Jonathan Vilma, Vince Wilfork. That team had 13 players who went on to make the Pro Bowl.

My guess with the 02 Ohio State team was their schedule was a factor in this list. Close win against Cincy early in the season. Then they needed the Holy Buckeye against Purdue and overtime against Illinois. All of those teams finished around .500.

I am surprised about how low the 2014 Ohio State team is, though. That squad had three high level quarterbacks, a backfield with Elliott, Michael Thomas as a wide receiver. Plus on defense there were Joey Bosa and Marshon Lattimore. If not for the Michigan State upset, they probably could've done well in the College Football Playoff in 2015 because there was a lot of talent.

Yeah but that 01 team was stacked. Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Bryant McKinnie, Jeremy Shockey, Ed Reed, Jonathan Vilma, Vince Wilfork. That team had 13 players who went on to make the Pro Bowl.

My guess with the 02 Ohio State team was their schedule was a factor in this list. Close win against Cincy early in the season. Then they needed the Holy Buckeye against Purdue and overtime against Illinois. All of those teams finished around .500.

I am surprised about how low the 2014 Ohio State team is, though. That squad had three high level quarterbacks, a backfield with Elliott, Michael Thomas as a wide receiver. Plus on defense there were Joey Bosa and Marshon Lattimore. If not for the Michigan State upset, they probably could've done well in the College Football Playoff in 2015 because there was a lot of talent.
But like. Literally in the lead up to the game the pundits would talk about how 2002 Miami is even better than 2001 Miami and maybe the best of all time

then unbeaten Ohio state beats them.
2001 is best ever.
Ohio state who was unbeaten and beat 2002 (who was as good or better than 2001) is 17

just illogical

But like. Literally in the lead up to the game the pundits would talk about how 2002 Miami is even better than 2001 Miami and maybe the best of all time

then unbeaten Ohio state beats them.
2001 is best ever.
Ohio state who was unbeaten and beat 2002 (who was as good or better than 2001) is 17

just illogical
I'm just thankful that a team from North of the Mason Dixon line was even included in these rankings!

Miami's ranking is heavily biased by how their players went on to do in the NFL and not solely how they were as a college team. So Ohio State loses points because Maurice Clarett went on to bomb out, but in college he was as good as anyone Miami had.

2019 LSU is the best I've seen in that time, 3 of their offensive players are already tearing up the NFL, and once there's time to see how that team and some other teams do in their NFL careers the list would likely change.

2019 LSU
2005 Texas
2001 Miami
2002 Ohio State
2010 auburn

probably my top 5
Then probably a run of a bunch of Alabama teams in a row

LSU is in Baton Rouge, OSU is in Columbus, UGA is in Athens. UM is in Minneapolis with the Vikings, Timberwolves, Twins, Wild, Lynx, United. Does any major college FB (or BB) program compete with so many pro attractions right in their neighborhood?

Man they were fun to watch. 01 team was also undefeated

if Mo Clarrett doesn’t make that insane strip (GOAT championship game play) they beat OSU in 2002 as well with back-to-back undefeated teams.

Last edited:

LSU is in Baton Rouge, OSU is in Columbus, UGA is in Athens. UM is in Minneapolis with the Vikings, Timberwolves, Twins, Wild, Lynx, United. Does any major college FB (or BB) program compete with so many pro attractions right in their neighborhood?
Georgia tech
Oklahoma had the nba (Norman is essentially and OkC suburb)
USC
Pitt
Rutgers
Northwestern
Miami
Houston and cinci (depending on if you consider them major)
Arizona State

if the University of Minnesota was in Roseville would you consider them not in the same city for the purpose of this argument?

Georgia tech
USC
Pitt
Rutgers
Northwestern
Miami
Arizona State

if the University of Minnesota was in Roseville would you consider them not in the same city for the purpose of this argument?

I would consider Roseville in the Twin Cities MSA, so yes, same media market as UM. But which NHL, and MLB franchise is in OKC? NBA in Pittsburgh? Cincinnati NHL and NBA? The LA, Chicago, NY, and Houston markets are al many times larger than the TCs. Having lived in places where there is little or no pro competition for college sports, I've seen the huge difference in fan and media attention between them and the TCs and Chicago. And I saw the focus on the Gophers before all the pro teams came here. You really can't argue that attention is the same in college-only markets as in pro-dominated markets. You can argue that it makes no difference to how well those college teams compete. I see strong correlation. Respectfully.

How is Texas 05 so low. They beat the dual Heisman USC team. Should be in the 2-3 conversation, not 9
100%. My thoughts exactly. That game featured stars and is literally rated the best college football game of all time. 2005 TX to me is top 5 if not top 3

Georgia tech
USC
Pitt
Rutgers
Northwestern
Miami
Arizona State

If you consider NHL, NFL, NBA, MLS, and MLB as the 5 major sports...
I think the only markets above that have all 5 are USC (LA), Northwestern (Chicago), Miami, and Rutgers if you count them being in New York City (45 minutes away from NYC).

If you drop MLS as one of the "major" sports, then you could add ASU.

If you consider NHL, NFL, NBA, MLS, and MLB as the 5 major sports...
I think the only markets above that have all 5 are USC (LA), Northwestern (Chicago), Miami, and Rutgers if you count them being in New York City (45 minutes away from NYC).

If you drop MLS as one of the "major" sports, then you could add ASU.
Yeah but is not having an NHL team really something that competes with Georgia tech football ?

is no NbA team competing with Pitt football?

Yeah but is not having an NHL team really something that competes with Georgia tech football ?

is no NbA team competing with Pitt football?
Maybe a little. I'm sure there's some crossover.
I go to all the major sports here except NBA plus Gopher sports (football, hockey, and basketball). It all comes from the same pot of money in my budget. If I spent less on Gopher sports I'd probably go to more Wild games.

And to keep my post on topic...I have no idea how I'd even begin to rank the last 20 national champions.

Maybe a little. I'm sure there's some crossover.
I go to all the major sports here except NBA plus Gopher sports (football, hockey, and basketball). It all comes from the same pot of money in my budget. If I spent less on Gopher sports I'd probably go to more Wild games.
True for you. I just don’t think there are many Georgia tech / nhl hockey fans in Atlanta

2019 LSU
2005 Texas
2001 Miami
2002 Ohio State
2010 auburn

probably my top 5
Then probably a run of a bunch of Alabama teams in a row
I could probably agree with these 5 teams... I could debate the order a little and I would probably add the 2004 USC team but they are probably the 5 best teams outside of Alabama. The problem with Alabama is that each year it just seems that they win the title they look unbeatable. I couldn't honestly tell you which Alabama team - the Eddy Lacy team, Trent Richardson team, Derrick Henry team, etc. They all had All-Americans and future Pro Bowlers at practically every position.

I could probably agree with these 5 teams... I could debate the order a little and I would probably add the 2004 USC team but they are probably the 5 best teams outside of Alabama. The problem with Alabama is that each year it just seems that they win the title they look unbeatable. I couldn't honestly tell you which Alabama team - the Eddy Lacy team, Trent Richardson team, Derrick Henry team, etc. They all had All-Americans and future Pro Bowlers at practically every position.
2020 Alabama statistically blows the other versions out of the water. The reason they aren't ranked higher is due to Alabama/Saban fatigue.

My top 5 not necessarily in order.

2001 Miami
2019 LSU
2020 Alabama
2004 USC
2005 Texas

2010 Auburn had Cam who I would argue is the best college QB I've ever seen, but that team was nowhere as stacked top to bottom as many of the others here. 2002 OSU had maybe the most impressive title game beating an insanely talented and heavily favored Miami team, but was not overly dominant throughout that whole season.

The discussion over Miami does make me wonder about the best national title game teams to not win. I think best to not win the title would be:
  • 2002 Miami, Lots of talent from that 2001 squad
  • 2005 USC, Two Heisman winners and plenty of other talent.
  • 2009 Texas, I think this was another really good Texas team that probably could have won the title if McCoy doesn't get injured
  • 2011 LSU, Didn't show up to the national title game but that defense was scary good.
  • 2015 Clemson, I think one of Dabo's best teams he's had at Clemson.
  • 2016 Alabama, Probably could put any team of Alabama's that didn't win a title but 2016 seemed especially good, demolishing a lot of good teams that season.
My top 5 not necessarily in order.

2001 Miami
2019 LSU
2020 Alabama
2004 USC
2005 Texas

2010 Auburn had Cam who I would argue is the best college QB I've ever seen, but that team was nowhere as stacked top to bottom as many of the others here. 2002 OSU had maybe the most impressive title game beating an insanely talented and heavily favored Miami team, but was not overly dominant throughout that whole season.
I agree with this. Cam Newton made that team a national title contender, where as before they might have been something like a team that finishes 11-2 and plays in a BCS bowl. I've seen Auburn fans on Reddit who've said without Cam, the team probably finishes with between 9 and 11 wins.

2020 Alabama statistically blows the other versions out of the water. The reason they aren't ranked higher is due to Alabama/Saban fatigue.
Yeah. This is the clear number 1 Alabama team unless you discount it due to Covid

The discussion over Miami does make me wonder about the best national title game teams to not win. I think best to not win the title would be:
  • 2009 Texas, I think this was another really good Texas team that probably could have won the title if McCoy doesn't get injured
  • 2011 LSU, Didn't show up to the national title game but that defense was scary good.
  • 2016 Alabama, Probably could put any team of Alabama's that didn't win a title but 2016 seemed especially good, demolishing a lot of good teams that season.

I agree with this. Cam Newton made that team a national title contender, where as before they might have been something like a team that finishes 11-2 and plays in a BCS bowl. I've seen Auburn fans on Reddit who've said without Cam, the team probably finishes with between 9 and 11 wins.
I agree with your top 2 non champs for sure:..

which is why 2002 Ohio state and 2005 Texas HAVE to be ranked high

Very good list. I would add 2018 Alabama to the list. They were talked about as being Saban's best team until they got obliterated by Clemson in the title game.

2001 Miami is the best team I've ever seen. They were ridiculously good.

On a side note, I'll always wonder how good McGahee would have been if he didn't blow out his knee.

His speed was on par with Devin Hester before the injury, and he definitely lost a step or two after it.

Top Bottom