Nate Sandell's 1/25 Notes.

Nice to see them trying Wright somewhere else. He seems too talented to not get more of a shot.

All of it makes sense. Wright is a big and fast kid, I'm glad to see him switch to WR. I actually thought he would have made a decent defensive player, he is a big hitter on our special teams, but WR works too.

Also....Hinojosa is not from Kansas, he's from Florida.

I would like to see Wright tried at Safety and Edwards moved to H-back

I would like to see Devon Wright moved to strong safety and see if his speed gives him an advantage in shooting gaps.
Play him at strong safety but use him like an extra linebacker, go get the ball carrier. He is an excellent tackler on special
teams and I think he is missing his calling on defense. He always stands out on special teams as a guy that goes gets
the ball carrier. The guy is an excellent straight ahead go blast them like tackler.
Lamonte Edwards I would like to see him as a hybrid TE-fullback slot type of player, someone that would bring size and skill to the offense.
He is fast enough to create mis-matches on offense. I'm not saying Wright should be on the defense as a starter but he would be a good
nickle blitzer and short yardage type of safety as he has good wheels and a little size to him. His deal with concussions may not allow that.
He for sure should be an edge rusher on punt team and field goals as I think with his wing span he would block a few.

Edwards is someone you could see on offense that catches the occasional swing pass or screen but is used to scrape at the edges as a blocker. I think he would be an effective
blocker on offense and good edge blocker, he would bring an element to the offense that the Gophers need, a big strong guy that can hit people, but yet
is athletic enough to catch some passes and occasionally run the ball. His Edwards heart has always seemed to be on the offensive side of the football.
I think both Edwards and Wright would flourish on the other side of the ball. By making the switch I think you would bring dynamic athletes to both sides
of the field. To me it would be a fair trade for the coordinators to make and it might elevate both players to positions they can contribute on the team.
I just don't think Edwards wants to be on the defensive side of ball, his enthusiasm has always seemed to be stronger when he is on offense.
Just one guy's observation though. Gophers moved Edwards to linebacker out of necessity but just doesn't seem like he is a guy that want's to be in that spot or
has the instincts to shed blocks and make tackles. On this defense the Linebackers have to be able to shed blocks or the big play happens.

All of it makes sense. Wright is a big and fast kid, I'm glad to see him switch to WR. I actually thought he would have made a decent defensive player, he is a big hitter on our special teams, but WR works too.

Also....Hinojosa is not from Kansas, he's from Florida.

He went to high School at Miami Central in Florida but last fall he was at junior college in Kansas.

Moving Edwards to H-Back/TE probably isn't going to be very appealing to the kid. That spot is 80% blocking, if not more. It's certainly not a move that's going to help with his concussion history.

Why not keep an athletic, 220 lb. kid at OLB? Seems like the perfect spot for him.

Wright could thrive as an inside receiver. A nice run-after-catch guy that could also take the ball behind the LOS on the Jet Sweep & do a solid job of blocking, as well. That would be a great move for him.

He went to high School at Miami Central in Florida but last fall he was at junior college in Kansas.

I know, but the way it was worded made it sound like he was from Kansas.

I would like to see Devon Wright moved to strong safety and see if his speed gives him an advantage in shooting gaps.
Play him at strong safety but use him like an extra linebacker, go get the ball carrier. He is an excellent tackler on special
teams and I think he is missing his calling on defense. He always stands out on special teams as a guy that goes gets
the ball carrier. The guy is an excellent straight ahead go blast them like tackler.
Lamonte Edwards I would like to see him as a hybrid TE-fullback slot type of player, someone that would bring size and skill to the offense.
He is fast enough to create mis-matches on offense. I'm not saying Wright should be on the defense as a starter but he would be a good
nickle blitzer and short yardage type of safety as he has good wheels and a little size to him. His deal with concussions may not allow that.
He for sure should be an edge rusher on punt team and field goals as I think with his wing span he would block a few.

Edwards is someone you could see on offense that catches the occasional swing pass or screen but is used to scrape at the edges as a blocker. I think he would be an effective
blocker on offense and good edge blocker, he would bring an element to the offense that the Gophers need, a big strong guy that can hit people, but yet
is athletic enough to catch some passes and occasionally run the ball. His Edwards heart has always seemed to be on the offensive side of the football.
I think both Edwards and Wright would flourish on the other side of the ball. By making the switch I think you would bring dynamic athletes to both sides
of the field. To me it would be a fair trade for the coordinators to make and it might elevate both players to positions they can contribute on the team.
I just don't think Edwards wants to be on the defensive side of ball, his enthusiasm has always seemed to be stronger when he is on offense.
Just one guy's observation though. Gophers moved Edwards to linebacker out of necessity but just doesn't seem like he is a guy that want's to be in that spot or
has the instincts to shed blocks and make tackles. On this defense the Linebackers have to be able to shed blocks or the big play happens.

I agree with you on Wright. He really does stand out on special teams. Although, it would be nice to a more physical slot to help out as well.

As far as Edwards...I disagree.

First, I don't think he's big enough to play the H-Back type of position. Those guys are often intertwined with being a Fullback and the only natural H-Back's we have are pretty big fellas. Mike Henry is at least 20 lbs larger than Edwards.

H-Back also requires a certain feel for blocking patterns. Edwards will either be a LB, RB, or possibly a pass rusher on sure passing downs.

He has struggled quite a bit at LBer. But I think his chance of getting snaps at RB have passed him. But he is entering his important years. It's really a reaction / instinct problem with him. I don't know if he'll get better but I don't like the idea of moving him around more. Last year was his first full season at LBer and hopefully more clicks this year.

If not, I wouldn't be surpised to see him end up a pass rusher (whether they line him up at DE or as a blitzing a LBer) on purely passing situations. He did it a bit as a FR.

I know, but the way it was worded made it sound like he was from Kansas.

Yea, I agree. For some reason, they always list JC recruits home state the state where their junior college is located.

I see your points about Edwards

"As far as Edwards...I disagree.

First, I don't think he's big enough to play the H-Back type of position. Those guys are often intertwined with being a Fullback and the only natural H-Back's we have are pretty big fellas. Mike Henry is at least 20 lbs larger than Edwards.

H-Back also requires a certain feel for blocking patterns. Edwards will either be a LB, RB, or possibly a pass rusher on sure passing downs.

He has struggled quite a bit at LBer. But I think his chance of getting snaps at RB have passed him. But he is entering his important years. It's really a reaction / instinct problem with him. I don't know if he'll get better but I don't like the idea of moving him around more. Last year was his first full season at LBer and hopefully more clicks this year."

If not, I wouldn't be surpised to see him end up a pass rusher (whether they line him up at DE or as a blitzing a LBer) on purely passing situations."

Bob I see your points about Edwards, another position change might likely not be good for him. Just thougt if you take one from offense you need to give one good athlete back to balance out.
Edwards would be a little undersized at H-back, I just thought he would excel on those crack back blocks and edge blocks as he has good wheels and would get to those spots quicker. Thought that Edwards wheels would open up our running game a little bit as he would engage his blocks quicker, and that he would be a good screen option. I like the idea of using him as a nickle pass rusher and situational out side linebacker in obvious rushing spots. He doesn't seem to have the instincts to be a full time linebacker in this scheme. The Gophers current scheme, at linebacker, you have to be able to do a lot of of things and the linebackers have a lot of responsibility's. They rely on linebackers to do a lot, make a lot of tackles. Just don't see Edwards being able to do that or excel at cleaning up and stopping the run a lot. It's to bad they wasted his red-shirt that first year. It's all moot anyways I think they are convinced to use Wright as a slot receiver. I have always thought he was a good tackler and belonged on defense because he has good wheels and excels at hitting people on special teams. That straight line speed doesn't always translate to defense though. The Gopher coaches will do what is best for the players.

Yes very thin at CB and with Engel, DCT, Frucette, Harbison and McDonald the WR position is pretty full. He only caught a couple of balls all year.

Yes very thin at CB and with Engel, DCT, Frucette, Harbison and McDonald the WR position is pretty full. He only caught a couple of balls all year.

To be fair to Jones, I don't think he was 100% all year.

Given the fact that Jone's best offer was at slot back while he played CB in HS, and he is about 5'7", I don't think he was a star at corner. I would guess he will mostly be a kick returner from here out.
I believe Limegrover mentioned moving Wright to slot receiver. He is fast but not a burner. I believe Wright's best skill is elusiveness in the open field, a skill that was basically wasted at TB with last year's oline. Slot receiver would be a good attempt to use that skill. I am not sure Wright is quick enough to play corner or has enough upper body strength to play Safety.

Jones was not getting hardly in any snaps before he was injured on a punt return. Engel and Maye got almost all the slot snaps the 2nd half of the year. We a really thin at CB and they mentioned moving wells there as well. I think you will see the same starting lineup at the bowl game. Engel, DCT, Fruchete/Harbison at WR. If McDonald gets his act together he will be in the rotation with the core. Jones was moved to slot and had not played WR before MN.

Top Bottom