Nate Mason vs. Tum Tum - Saturday 2pm on ESPNU

Jason Groth

Reaction score
Should be a very interesting game for Gopher fans Saturday at 2pm (Central) on ESPNU as Arlington Country Day (Nate Mason) takes on Sunrise Christian Academy (Tum Tum).

Thanks Jason, I am going to have to set the DVR for this tonight because there's no way I'll remember about it Saturday.

Just a reminder that this game starts in 90 minutes

Should be a very interesting game for Gopher fans Saturday at 2pm (Central) on ESPNU as Arlington Country Day (Nate Mason) takes on Sunrise Christian Academy (Tum Tum).

Thanks Jason...a "flashback" of how it once was on the board...

Nate's got some wild hair.

Along with Josh Martin (mohawk last time I saw a video of him), we are going to be a dynamic bunch (at least visually).

Tum-tum winning this matchup. Mason looks a little wild.

Tum-tum a high speed, penetrating distributor who does not have a good outside shot. Mason called a shooting guard in a point guard's body by the announcer.

@RyanJamesMN: Nate Mason finished with 6pts on 3-9 FG, dished out 4 asts, grabbed 6 rbs with 2 steals in Arlington Day's 46-43 win over Sunrise Christian.

Am an assistant with a team that was in City of Palms, and I came away very disappointed that that Tum Tum was fine with being the fall back plan for Michigan State. He was running laps around the team from London. He made the starting guard for England's U17 team look like a reject from my YMCA noon games. The English team had a lot of size defending the rim, 7'1 6'10 6'9, and Tum Tum had no trouble finishing at the rim.

I will have to watch the replay of this one on espn3 but I'm sure Mason will be just fine, this staff clearly understands the level of talent they need to win Big 10 titles.

Am an assistant with a team that was in City of Palms, and I came away very disappointed that that Tum Tum was fine with being the fall back plan for Michigan State. He was running laps around the team from London. He made the starting guard for England's U17 team look like a reject from my YMCA noon games. The English team had a lot of size defending the rim, 7'1 6'10 6'9, and Tum Tum had no trouble finishing at the rim. I will have to watch the replay of this one on espn3 but I'm sure Mason will be just fine, this staff clearly understands the level of talent they need to win Big 10 titles.

Ryan James thought he played a nice game, so the 15 minutes I saw may not have been his best.

Ryan James thought he played a nice game, so the 15 minutes I saw may not have been his best.

Nate looked very good in the 4th. Played solid D, got / contributed to a couple steals, had 2 key assists late. Didn't do too much, but was very effective in the flow of the game during their comeback.

That said, it was obvious watching this game that Tum Tum is VERY good, I'd expect him to really flourish under Izzo

The lack of a shot clock really slows the game down and made it hard to watch. Mason is more like a bigger McNeil than DeAndre. He apparently has grown some and will be more combo than point guard IMO.

It was kind of a strange game in that there were about a half-dozen high major players and yet nobody really stood out all that much. The game was pretty well played with good defense. Tum Tum's quickness and ball-handling was definitely impressive. Mason was solid in the second half. The attributes of Mason I was most impressed with were his calmness and poise, his intensity and that he always had his head up and a good feel for the situation. His ball-handling and passing looked good enough to back up the point. He has good size and quickness. He also looked to have a decent shooting touch although only hit a couple of jumpers. Tough to take too much away from this one game though.

I like Mason's makeup, but it doesn't look like he'll be an impact player as a freshman. I'd see him as a McNeil (sp?) plus who could be a significant contributor with some hard work by later in his first season. He needs to become consistent with his outside shot, but I like his quick release and form. His highlight tapes indicate speed driving to the basket, which he didn't have a chance to show today.

Let's hope we bring in Jarvis to take over the point when Mathieu is done

Mason appears to see the floor very well. He also has good ball handling skills and reasonable quickness. The most impressive part of his game to me is his pull up jumper. I think the size comments above may be a bit optimistic and I don't think he is as tall as McNeil who is listed as 6-3 on the Gopher roster. I have seen Nate listed anywhere from 5-11 to 6-1 on recruiting web sites. The announcers said he was 6-2 on yesterday's broadcast. I'm guessing he is 6-2 when you count his hair. I like his game and think he will be a good addition to the Gopher roster. Having a point guard that can handle the ball and shoot is a good combination.

Let's hope we bring in Jarvis to take over the point when Mathieu is done

I agree. Jarvis matched with Mason at the 2 would be a very good start. Another poster said Mason reminds him of Dre, and I can see that also.

Mason appears to see the floor very well. He also has good ball handling skills and reasonable quickness. The most impressive part of his game to me is his pull up jumper. I think the size comments above may be a bit optimistic and I don't think he is as tall as McNeil who is listed as 6-3 on the Gopher roster. I have seen Nate listed anywhere from 5-11 to 6-1 on recruiting web sites. The announcers said he was 6-2 on yesterday's broadcast. I'm guessing he is 6-2 when you count his hair. I like his game and think he will be a good addition to the Gopher roster. Having a point guard that can handle the ball and shoot is a good combination.

His pull up jumper was way off yesterday, are you talking about some of his highlights?

Based on what I have read on Elijah Thomas 247 has him a strong lead to Oklahoma State. Anyone with more insight on his recruitment?

Top Bottom