Name a coach you would’ve been MORE disappointed with

Richard Pitino.

Ben Johnson was a surprise but I am glad he is the coach instead of Richard next year. A change was required.

Of the candidates mentioned:

Sam Mitchell, Saunders, Jaeger and every other NBA assistant coach mentioned.

Damon Stoudamire.

Ben Jacobsen would have been a draw.

Lots of worse hires than Johnson. Checks a lot of boxes. Bunch of hires I would have liked more though.

Can't think of any names mentioned seriously that I would like less than this hire unless you count Saunders which no one seriously thought was a possibility. Otherwise I would prefer everyone else mentioned.

Richard Pitino.

Ben Johnson was a surprise but I am glad he is the coach instead of Richard next year. A change was required.

Exactly the way I feel.

Jacobson, Saunders, Mitchell, Tim Miles, Saul Phillips, Craig Smith, and Gates.

I would have been happy with Dutcher, Musselman, or Mike Miller.

I don't have a lot of faith in the opinions of the random gopherholer but I am happy everyone here has identified the obvious answer to this question, which is Ryan Saunders. My god that would have been a nightmare.

Probably a lot. He might have been down a ways on my list, but that still leaves literally thousands of other college basketball coaches.

This. From the miscalculation thread, Coyle assumes we'll be good consumers and put on a happy face and sustain ourselves on hope and hope alone. That we'll send in our four figures of money as commanded and show up in November with big smiles on our faces whistling Dixie out of our assholes.
I think Coyle has been around enough to know that there would be some very pissed off people. I'm disappointed but I also know that Coyle knows a whole lot more about hiring a basketball coach than I do. That's the main thing keeping me away from the ledge. He knows the landscape of college sports; he knows who was available and for what price; and he knows he has stuck his neck way out.

People are venting and that's fine, but there's no way in hell anyone on GH knows enough to be so sure that this will end badly.

I also don't buy the notion this hire was dictated to him. He might not be that impressive in front of an audience, but Coyle runs an athletic department according to what he wants done. He took care of a renegade wrestling coach. He got the hockey coach damn near every Gopher fan wanted. He was pretty ruthless getting the football coach in that he wanted. He might have made a popular hire with women's basketball, but he was willing to gamble and the jury is still out on that one. He knows this is a gamble but he's willing to risk it. He's not that dumb that he thinks attendance won't take even more of a hit if this doesn't work.

Top Bottom