Nail-Biter at Stillwater

MNSnowman

An old timer
Reaction score
I watched the Stillwater-Cretin Derham Hall game Friday night. While I was pulling for CDH, it was a pretty entertaining game and certainly an impressive finish.

Stillwater led the entire game until CDH pulled one point ahead with seven seconds left on the clock. Stillwater inbounded, ran it down the court and put in a lay-up as time expired.

Stillwater's students (and a few adults) mobbed the court and the Ponies -- sheer bedlam. But it was high school basketball in its purest form ... catch a game in a venue near you if you can!

lSame section.......

different venue....saw Woodbury defeat St. Paul Central 51-47. Very competitive game, good crowd, the Royals move on to face Tartan, while Stillwater knows they've had their last celebration....they face Sibley.

There has been a lot of good action in HS games this year. Why doesn't the Star Tribune or somebody do a better job of covering it? Or if someone knows where you can see section brackets and that sort of thing, let me know.

I'll be up at St. Cloud State all day today, watching semifinal action from Sections 5AAA, 8AAA, and 8AAAA. Noteworthies include Monticello, St. Cloud Apollo (both are Top 10 teams in AAA) and St. Cloud Tech (likely the #4 seed in the 4A tournament if they get there).

Is there a good website that gives an overview of the different sections brackets and schedules?

High School sites

There has been a lot of good action in HS games this year. Why doesn't the Star Tribune or somebody do a better job of covering it? Or if someone knows where you can see section brackets and that sort of thing, let me know.
The Strib is financially crippled and HS coverage costs a lot to coordinate (they rely heavily on volunteer stringers to phone in results, etc) ... plus the range of games limits reporter(s) to just a few games in a weekend.

Specifically for basketball -- if you want to see brackets and dates, start at the High School League's site here

To see individual team schedules during the regular season, MaxPreps.com is okay.

I've got a few favorite teams in the Suburban East conference and their web site sends out e-mail reminders at a schedule you specify for specific sports and teams. If you've got a favorite team, you might check that school's web site (they vary all over the map in terms of information but seems like you need to be a bit persistent) and/or their conference web site (some teams relys exclusively on their conference ... most teams in the Suburban East do so).

The reason there is no coverage....

the papers are in trouble....and their prep coverage goes to the hockey toruney this week. The section semi-finals next week should earn some extra coverage.

I watched the Stillwater-Cretin Derham Hall game Friday night. While I was pulling for CDH, it was a pretty entertaining game and certainly an impressive finish.

Stillwater led the entire game until CDH pulled one point ahead with seven seconds left on the clock. Stillwater inbounded, ran it down the court and put in a lay-up as time expired.

Stillwater's students (and a few adults) mobbed the court and the Ponies -- sheer bedlam. But it was high school basketball in its purest form ... catch a game in a venue near you if you can!

What did you think of Cretin's sophomore guard? I believe Kelly is his last name. The Star Trib box shows he had 24 points last night.

wow, the MSHSL website is actually pretty good in terms of times, brackets, schedules, etc. Thats what I looking for, Thanks Snowman

In addition to the MSHSL website there is another good one that does a great job of listing brackets, times, complete schedules among other things. I use this since it does a good job of listing all scores but does rely on volunteers to put them in. It also has developed a ranking (QRF) that kind of mimics the RPI. The only thing I don't like about it is they take into account margin of victory even if it is capped. Also has a forum that is pretty slow. Anyways here's the website.

http://www.minnesota-scores.net/

In addition to the MSHSL website there is another good one that does a great job of listing brackets, times, complete schedules among other things. I use this since it does a good job of listing all scores but does rely on volunteers to put them in. It also has developed a ranking (QRF) that kind of mimics the RPI. The only thing I don't like about it is they take into account margin of victory even if it is capped. Also has a forum that is pretty slow. Anyways here's the website.

http://www.minnesota-scores.net/

Minnesota-Scores.net does NOT rely on volunteers to enter scores. That's what makes it more accurate than other sites out there. Also, the margin of victory in the QRF has been taken out at times to see what the difference would be and there really isn't any. The only thing the margin of victory does is to give a little separation between teams. The order of those teams really doesn't change. For that reason it has been kept in.

www.minnesota-scores.net

Comments on Kelly.......

I too have seen a number of Suburban East games. Kelly has the pedigree, (Grandpa Arvesta) and dad (forget his name) played on CDH state title team.

He also has ability, but I do like his on court demeanor at this time. Plenty of time to improve that. Will probably get bigger, certainly a player to keep an eye on.

My bad Minnesota-Scores.net. I guess I assumed that they relied on volunteers more than I thought they did. The reason that I put that is there are a lot of times when I would look at schedules there was a link to report a score and all you need to do is put in your email address and name in addition to game info. This is much more common in smaller schools such as the one that I went to and like to keep track of.

Just curious what the cap is for the margin of victory.

Raijon Kelly is a Sophomore and the grandson of Arvesta Sr (who's CDH's JV coach and a Varsity Assistant) and son of Arvesta Jr who had a great HS career.

He has some decent shots and good moves offensively. A bit lazy defensively, IMO.

On offense, he has a nice, smooth shot and isn't afraid to shoot the three or penetrate. I keep thinking he could turn the speed up a couple of notches at times -- especially moving without the ball -- but I've seen him enough that I think he just doesn't have that afterburner effect. It's too bad because I think that's going to hold him back when he moves on.

I also think next year will be telling for Raijon. He needs some maturity in handling adversity at times but then again he's only a sophomore and kids develop at different rates. If he turns up the defensive intensity and if he could transform his "loping style" into some higher energy, I think he'd be catching a lot of looks. But that's the judgment of a very amateur judge of HS talent.

How did Seantral Henderson do.
Seantrel had a decent game but ran into foul trouble toward the end of the 2nd half that limited his time. In the first half he had a number of bunnies and put-backs that just missed/rimmed out etc ... seemed like the Gods of Basketball weren't smiling on him then. But it worked out in the second half.

Seantrel has a pretty stoic game face that makes some folks think he isn't terribly invested in the outcome. But I understand that this isn't the case. He kept his head up on the court at the end -- just as he did when CDH played Hopkins.

God knows he's a force in the paint. And one poor kid from Stillwater took a charge that must have been life-changing ... props to him for not budging 'cause I wouldn't have the willpower. (And neither did he after that call -- ;) )

My bad Minnesota-Scores.net. I guess I assumed that they relied on volunteers more than I thought they did. The reason that I put that is there are a lot of times when I would look at schedules there was a link to report a score and all you need to do is put in your email address and name in addition to game info. This is much more common in smaller schools such as the one that I went to and like to keep track of.

Just curious what the cap is for the margin of victory.

The link is there so you can report it to the person who puts it into the database. Clicking that link and sending in a score doesn't automatically update the site, it gets reviewed before adding.

As for the cap on margin of victory, that is a trade secret. Some teams and coaches take their QRF ranking quite seriously and we know it gets used at some level for section and state tournament seedings. We don't want teams to try and run the score up just to increase their QRF. Rest assured that the cap is not that high and teams would want to win by this much anyway!

We also have a QRF version for college basketball. http://www.minnesota-scores.net/classqrf.php?yid=0809&sport=202&class=-1

Thanks for looking at the site!

Top Bottom