Naadir Tharpe Visiting Sept 17th

Keep in mind that Tharpe is pretty bright (I think I read somewhere he made a thirty-something on the ACT?), so he'll probably be taking the academic side of the schools into account to some degree.

Andre Hollins got 30 on his ACT but Tharpe is a very good student, too.

Brewster coach Jason Smith says ... NC State visiting Tharpe tomorrow.

Coaches are very busy right now. Well, maybe not Pearl.. but most are.

underground629 said:
Just seems a little odd that he doesn't have more

Your thoughts are reasonable here... but a discussion on possible reasons why many more schools aren't on him probably doesn't serve any good purpose on this forum... that conversation starts, and who knows what wild thoughts people may share.

But, I really do believe that Minnesota and Tharpe look like a great match... I will say this,... others share your thought... including HoopScoop (www.hoopscooponline.com), who said this week Tharpe may be the Most Unheralded when discussing their 'best of the summer awards'.

Cliiped From Zags Blog (August 2nd)

Tharpe said he models his game after Deron Williams, Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant and hopes to bring leadership and a winning attitude wherever he lands.

“Basically I want to be a leader,” he said. “It doesn’t matter what team you play on, your point guard is supposed to be the leader of your team. I’m gonna try to bring leadership, as well as winning.”

Playing time is important, too. So schools like Rutgers and St. John’s that can offer immediate PT in the backcourt are in good shape.

“Those schools don’t have any guards,” he said. “They’re definitely high on my list.”

Tharpe said he models his game after Deron Williams, Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant and hopes to bring leadership and a winning attitude wherever he lands.

“Basically I want to be a leader,” he said. “It doesn’t matter what team you play on, your point guard is supposed to be the leader of your team. I’m gonna try to bring leadership, as well as winning.”

Playing time is important, too. So schools like Rutgers and St. John’s that can offer immediate PT in the backcourt are in good shape.

“Those schools don’t have any guards,” he said. “They’re definitely high on my list.”

He is a huge Kobe admirer.

Wish Gophers had two top PGs as recruits. Then first come, first served.

Gophers have to wait for Naadir (IMO) - hope this does not turn out like Cory Joseph.

Chris Monter posted Naadir indicated he would be a late signee.

Question to Chris -

Did Naadir say why he would be a late signee, or would you care to guess why he will be a late signee?

Thanks - I enjoy your posts.

Wish Gophers had two top PGs as recruits. Then first come, first served.

Gophers have to wait for Naadir (IMO) - hope this does not turn out like Cory Joseph.

Chris Monter posted Naadir indicated he would be a late signee.

Question to Chris -

Did Naadir say why he would be a late signee, or would you care to guess why he will be a late signee?

Thanks - I enjoy your posts.

Andre Hollins is 6-2 combo G who plays 1 or 2 spot.

I'm wary of guards who don't want to have to earn their PT - those comments from Tharpe about schools not having guards being high on his list is cringe-worthy for me. I've seen Noopy Crater come to OSU from Brewster, feeling he was somehow entitled to PT and then transferred 10 games into the season since he was not starting (he averaged about 13 minutes a game and played in all 10 games). Crater ended up transferring to South Florida where he still wasn't a starter (not yet at least) but played a little more on a lot worse team. Interestingly, four of the Division I-A kids who came out of Brewster the year Crater did have already transferred to another school. Sometimes kids want PT to be easily available for them, but it isn't really much easier at the lower tier Big East schools than they are in the Big Ten (for the most part) no matter what school he goes to. There is competition everywhere & if you don't have competition, you're in a bad program. If you want to go where there's no competition for PT, go ahead and go to a lesser program and enjoy losing most of your conference games.

I'm wary of guards who don't want to have to earn their PT - those comments from Tharpe about schools not having guards being high on his list is cringe-worthy for me. I've seen Noopy Crater come to OSU from Brewster, feeling he was somehow entitled to PT and then transferred 10 games into the season since he was not starting (he averaged about 13 minutes a game and played in all 10 games). Crater ended up transferring to South Florida where he still wasn't a starter (not yet at least) but played a little more on a lot worse team. Interestingly, four of the Division I-A kids who came out of Brewster the year Crater did have already transferred to another school. Sometimes kids want PT to be easily available for them, but it isn't really much easier at the lower tier Big East schools than they are in the Big Ten (for the most part) no matter what school he goes to. There is competition everywhere & if you don't have competition, you're in a bad program. If you want to go where there's no competition for PT, go ahead and go to a lesser program and enjoy losing most of your conference games.

Like Verdell Jones did (is doing) at IU.

HoopScoopOnLine (Clipped) On Tharpe

... You can make a strong case that the Most Unheralded Player (in 2011 HS class) is 5'11 Naadir Tharpe from Wolfeboro (Brewster Academy) NH, who is one of the few pure top level point guards in the Class of 2011 and is currently getting heavily recruited by only one big time school (the University of Minnesota) ...

Lavin and recruiting

<Those UCLA teams were enormously talented. To only win 2 of 3 games with such talented rosters is a disappointment>

Although Lavin had a reputation as helped building the team he inherited it was Romar who was the real closer getting the players to commit to UCLA IRCC.

Good: Iowa State just received a commitment from 2011 PG Tavon Sledge.

Not so good: Oklahoma is visiting Tharpe early this week, and Kansas plans to see him on Thursday.

Oklahoma has offered; KU has not as of yet.

Good: Iowa State just received a commitment from 2011 PG Tavon Sledge.

Not so good: Oklahoma is visiting Tharpe early this week, and Kansas plans to see him on Thursday.

Oklahoma has offered; KU has not as of yet.

Capel's program at OU is struggling. KU (of course) is an elite program that recruits are seeking.

After following Tharpe on twitter for a little while, I definitely get the feeling he is loving the new interest. The longer he waits, the less of a chance they have at signing him up. A little frustrating we don't have multiple pure point guard prospects visiting at this point.

After following Tharpe on twitter for a little while, I definitely get the feeling he is loving the new interest. The longer he waits, the less of a chance they have at signing him up. A little frustrating we don't have multiple pure point guard prospects visiting at this point.

I know that I'm going against the grain on this, but I think that Andre Hollins would be a better player for the Gophers than Tharpe. Hollins will be playing PG his senior year in HS and expects to play point in college. He's bigger than Tharpe, appears mighty quick and long on video, and evidently has a high bb IQ.

Tharpe has a lot of program infomation and has not shown any desire to be a Gopher. I think that it's true that "he is loving the new interest." Nothing wrong with that, but it just seems as though he is trying to decide which suitor will have the fewest drawbacks to him becoming the star.

On the other hand it feels like Hollins is looking at the possibilities that each situation presents and his focus will be on continual improvment for the team that he becomes part of.

I expect that I'm going to get a beatdown for this and that's fair. We all just want to see great Gopher basketball.

I know that I'm going against the grain on this, but I think that Andre Hollins would be a better player for the Gophers than Tharpe. Hollins will be playing PG his senior year in HS and expects to play point in college. He's bigger than Tharpe, appears mighty quick and long on video, and evidently has a high bb IQ.

Tharpe has a lot of program infomation and has not shown any desire to be a Gopher. I think that it's true that "he is loving the new interest." Nothing wrong with that, but it just seems as though he is trying to decide which suitor will have the fewest drawbacks to him becoming the star.

On the other hand it feels like Hollins is looking at the possibilities that each situation presents and his focus will be on continual improvment for the team that he becomes part of.

I expect that I'm going to get a beatdown for this and that's fair. We all just want to see great Gopher basketball.

Tharpe visited Minnesota and said they were his clear leader. How can you say he has no interest?

How about both?

With Coleman already at 2/3 (wing), then Hollins at 1/2 (combo) and Tharpe at the 1 (point).

How about both?

With Coleman already at 2/3 (wing), then Hollins at 1/2 (combo) and Tharpe at the 1 (point).

Well, with Ogelsby likely out of our reach, it looks like there is plenty of room for Hollins and Tharpe. Frankly Id'e love to see that so that 'Who is most valuable to the Gophers?' could be tested over time.

I would be very happy to get either. Hollins has some advatnages over Tharpe, but Tharpe's ability to run an offense and his natural feel at the point guard position is valuable and would be very hard to pass up if he decided he wants to be a Gopher. Like I said though, I would be very happy to get either and would be even more happy to get both. Maybe Hollins has that feel for the position as well and just hasn't had the opportunity to display it yet, only time will tell I guess.

I think the Gophers have a good chance with Andre. If a bidding war breaks out for Naadir, it will be like we have a lottery ticket (Kansas, etc. also having tickets). We might land Naadir but I would sure like to have a plan B.

I think the Gophers have a good chance with Andre. If a bidding war breaks out for Naadir, it will be like we have a lottery ticket (Kansas, etc. also having tickets). We might land Naadir but I would sure like to have a plan B.

I would gladly take the first to commit and then continue to recruit the other in anticipation that another scholarship opens up.

Top Bottom