Myron tweet: Devoe expected to rejoin Gophs for Virginia game

My point is if you started colt with trevor, when the second team subs in you would have sampson and walker out there together. I know tubby plays the hockey lines at least through the non-conference schedule.

My point is if you started colt with trevor, when the second team subs in you would have sampson and walker out there together. I know tubby plays the hockey lines at least through the non-conference schedule.

I see your point. Maybe that is why Tubby has not started Colt with Trevor.

It's been Colt with Ralph or Trevor with Ralph so far. I would expect it will be Ralph and Trevor for the foreseeable future.

As far as minutes distribution when Devoe comes back I do not see this as any problem.

- my projection of minutes for Tubby to ponder

POINT Guard Minutes >>> Nolen 28 - Devoe 8 - Hoff 4

WING SG & SF Minutes >> Hoff 24 - Devoe 20 - Rodney 18 - Austin 9 - Chip 9

BIGS 4 & 5 Spots >>>>>>> Mbakwe 28 - Ralph 22 - Colton 22 - MO 8

TOTAL Player Minutes

Nolen 28
Hoff 28
Devoe 28
Mbakwe 28
Ralph 22
Colton 22
Rodney18
Austin 9
Chip 9
MO 8

TOTAL 200 Minutes

Classy responses.

Thanks. :)

I've wanted to do that rant since the digs at Mav started in evaluation of his HP play. Now I just hope that he validates expectations with his play in the next 4 years.

Da Mav was terrible in HP, I'm still not a fan, but he has shown a lot of improvement since this summer.

I don't think it will happen, but I do like Colt-Trevor together and Sampson with Walker.

It's been Colt with Ralph or Trevor with Ralph so far. I would expect it will be Ralph and Trevor for the foreseeable future.

They may have not started together, although Tubby has played Colton and Trevor together quite often.

DarrenWolfson Darren Wolfson
RT @nsandell: Tubby said Joseph's status remains uncertain. He said he first needs to review Joseph's academic progress last week #Gophers

Well maybe I missed your point a lil. You are suggesting if you start Colt with Trevor you avoid the 2nd wave combo of Colt with MO. You wind up with Ralph & MO off the bench. I'm guessing we are going to have to adapt ourselves to the 2nd wave combo of Colt & MO for a while. The 3 other speedsters of Chip, Austin and Mav will have to help out covering the 3's from the opposing 'bigs' - if that is a 'big' concern. I see your concern of having MO & Colt on the floor at the same time but I think you might be stretching it a bit to find the correct combo for the 2nd wave of 'bigs'. But that is not to say I may have stretched a couple points here as well.

One more response: Tubby wants him on the team. That's the only opinion that matters. Even if he never plays another minute, he'll have added lots of value in practice and added intangibles to that construct called a team. None of us see that side of things.

When you accept a scholarship that others are paying for, you accept the fact that your play will be evaluated and criticized. I've seen plenty of times on this board where the criticism is over the top, and it gets beyond play into personal stuff and "he is a waste of a scholarship." To me, that's out of line, but an athlete has to understand that stuff will happen and take it as a reflection on the writer rather than himself.

He needs to do the best he can. If he does, then while I hope he becomes All-America, no matter what happens, he's a Golden Gopher and I appreciate whatever contributions he makes.

Wow, Thanks guys. What a change of opinion on the posts. We heard enough crap from some of the posters over the Summer about why Tubby did this and did that. We finally understand what Tubby wanted to do when he brought these players here. I am so glad that we are 5-0 so we don't have to hear those comments again.

Go Gophers

Joseph must have finished his joint and is ready to play now...

Point taken, but I never said Maverick wasn't any good, nor was I "asking for his scholarship." I said he appears overmatched. There's a difference. Looking overmatched happens to freshmen quite a bit, some moreso than others.

I should have been more clear. Being overmatched now doesn't necessarily mean being overmatched a year or two down the road.

I was going to say, as message board criticism of players go, saying they're 'over-matched' is pretty mild. I don't it's ever OK to rip a HS kid or even a D-II kid. Once you're at this level I think it becomes fair-game as long as its focused on actual performance and not personal.

No disrespect... just my opinion... but why play Hoffarber at pg at all once Devoe is back? Once we play better opponents, I don't see Mo even getting 8 minutes. Our 3 other bigs are just a lot better than him right now and he's only a freshman. I also can't imagine Tubby will play Sampson and Iverson equal minutes. I think Sampson will get more than 22. I also think there will be a greater difference in minutes between Rodney and Hollins/Chip. I can't imagine they each get that many minutes. If one plays a lot I think it means the other doesn't play much. Devoe will also cut a lot into their minutes.

As far as minutes distribution when Devoe comes back I do not see this as any problem.

- my projection of minutes for Tubby to ponder

POINT Guard Minutes >>> Nolen 28 - Devoe 8 - Hoff 4

WING SG & SF Minutes >> Hoff 24 - Devoe 20 - Rodney 18 - Austin 9 - Chip 9

BIGS 4 & 5 Spots >>>>>>> Mbakwe 28 - Ralph 22 - Colton 22 - MO 8

TOTAL Player Minutes

Nolen 28
Hoff 28
Devoe 28
Mbakwe 28
Ralph 22
Colton 22
Rodney18
Austin 9
Chip 9
MO 8

TOTAL 200 Minutes

No disrespect... just my opinion... but why play Hoffarber at pg at all once Devoe is back? Once we play better opponents, I don't see Mo even getting 8 minutes. Our 3 other bigs are just a lot better than him right now and he's only a freshman. I also can't imagine Tubby will play Sampson and Iverson equal minutes. I think Sampson will get more than 22. I also think there will be a greater difference in minutes between Rodney and Hollins/Chip. I can't imagine they each get that many minutes. If one plays a lot I think it means the other doesn't play much. Devoe will also cut a lot into their minutes.

I can't disagree with much of what you say.

But, I thought I would expand a little on your points on my speculative player minute distribution pattern thoughts.

I think we might continue to see Hoff for a couple minutes at point guard. When Hoff switches to the point, I think the game changes considerably. Our offense slows down just a tad (unless of course there is an open 3/4 court lob available) - the structure is a lil more deliberate - the ball keeps moving. Passes are crisp and purposeful - and Tubby loves the Hoff. (Both Hoff and Nolen will likely see more court time than my projected 28 minutes.) Once Hoff takes over at point I think the defense of the opposing team morphs into a mild temporary meltdown. They have just spent the entire week preparing for Hoff 'the shooter on the wing'. Now all of a sudden they have to cover him at the point. This could result in a short period of defensive discombobulation. Who's guarding him now? What's he doin out there? Is he gonna shoot from there? There was a TV show a looong time ago (Laugh In maybe?) that would change segments rapidly in the middle of the show. The abrupt segue for the segment was always, "Now for something entirely different." I would put using Hoff at the point in the same category. "Now for something entirely different." Use it for a couple minutes just to throw the defense off and see if it provides a positive 2 or 4 point swing in that segment. Then go back to a refreshed Nolen or switch Joseph back to point from the wing.

MO, IMO might just get more minutes than we think. I believe he is averaging almost 8 minutes a game now. If any one of the other 'BIG 3' gets into serious foul trouble, (like Ralph in WVU game) we will likely see MO come in to spell one of the 'remaining 2 bigs' with some relief after they have played several minutes. 8 minutes might be too many but I think MO will see some semi-significant minutes if just for the intimidation factor and move people around.

Regarding Sampson and Iverson getting equal minutes; just when I decide for myself who between those two will be the most productive, something happens to change my view - like the WVU game. In the very early part of their careers I remember Sampson and Iverson having almost identical stat lines. Minutes played, points, rebounds, blocks etc. all were amazingly close. It was uncanny - almost like they were planning it. I agree with you that Ralph will prolly see more minutes than Colt 45 - perhaps significantly more. I may have given them equal minutes just to avoid the never ending saga: RS3 or Colt 45? Tastes great --- less filling. It's good to have two complimentary players to even have the discussion. Why not settle it in a tie?

I think you are right about Rodney getting more minutes than the Hollins/Chip combo. At least I hope you are right. But after WVU, Chip's stock is rising rapidly. Rodney - not so much. My projections after the WVU game were prolly affected by some sort of 'irrational exuberance'. I hope Rodney proves my minimal minute projections for him wrong.

You are right Devoe will cut into Chip and Hollins' minutes. He might 'chip' into Rodney's as well. Like everybody, I like our depth and I like what I have seen from both Chip and Austin. Tubby likes to play a lot of players. He has a lot of players. And he seems to be getting away from the 'Hockey style' substitution pattern - except for once early in the first half. Once he gets that first wave substitution over with he seems to settle into a fairly intricate and rigorous one, two and three player substitution pattern that gets lots of players involved, but still keeps Nolen, Hoff and Mbakwe (and Devoe, when he gets back) on the court for the most minutes. It's a nice problem to have to talk about - spreading around minutes with so much depth.

By the time the Big Ten comes around things could be completely different. This is just some minor speculation after starting out 5-0, being ranked in the top 20 and Tubby saying his second unit is better than his first.

Now if Maverick has a big game against NDSU... :)

I can see what you're saying about Hoffarber, but I feel like it would really have to be the right matchup. If the opposing pg is quick at all, I just don't really see it as being a good idea. I thought he did a great job at pg though when he had too. I just can't imagine Tubby really tries that once Devoe is back unless either him or Nolen is hurt or in serious foul trouble.

You're right that Mo will get significant minutes some games, but in general, I think he'll play very little. But games where one of our bigs is in serious trouble and another needs a breather, he may play over 8 minutes. He'll also get some bigger minutes in some blowout games.

You're right about Devoe cutting into the minutes of Rodney as well. I think we'll see a lot of the 3 guard lineup. When we need points, no way he keeps Nolen, Devoe, or Hoffarber off of the floor.

The thing with Chip is that I can see Tubby getting mad at him for taking wild shots. He also doesn't have the best shot, so it may be tough for him to score when we play against better defensive teams.

I can't disagree with much of what you say.

But, I thought I would expand a little on your points on my speculative player minute distribution pattern thoughts.

I think we might continue to see Hoff for a couple minutes at point guard. When Hoff switches to the point, I think the game changes considerably. Our offense slows down just a tad (unless of course there is an open 3/4 court lob available) - the structure is a lil more deliberate - the ball keeps moving. Passes are crisp and purposeful - and Tubby loves the Hoff. (Both Hoff and Nolen will likely see more court time than my projected 28 minutes.) Once Hoff takes over at point I think the defense of the opposing team morphs into a mild temporary meltdown. They have just spent the entire week preparing for Hoff 'the shooter on the wing'. Now all of a sudden they have to cover him at the point. This could result in a short period of defensive discombobulation. Who's guarding him now? What's he doin out there? Is he gonna shoot from there? There was a TV show a looong time ago (Laugh In maybe?) that would change segments rapidly in the middle of the show. The abrupt segue for the segment was always, "Now for something entirely different." I would put using Hoff at the point in the same category. "Now for something entirely different." Use it for a couple minutes just to throw the defense off and see if it provides a positive 2 or 4 point swing in that segment. Then go back to a refreshed Nolen or switch Joseph back to point from the wing.

MO, IMO might just get more minutes than we think. I believe he is averaging almost 8 minutes a game now. If any one of the other 'BIG 3' gets into serious foul trouble, (like Ralph in WVU game) we will likely see MO come in to spell one of the 'remaining 2 bigs' with some relief after they have played several minutes. 8 minutes might be too many but I think MO will see some semi-significant minutes if just for the intimidation factor and move people around.

Regarding Sampson and Iverson getting equal minutes; just when I decide for myself who between those two will be the most productive, something happens to change my view - like the WVU game. In the very early part of their careers I remember Sampson and Iverson having almost identical stat lines. Minutes played, points, rebounds, blocks etc. all were amazingly close. It was uncanny - almost like they were planning it. I agree with you that Ralph will prolly see more minutes than Colt 45 - perhaps significantly more. I may have given them equal minutes just to avoid the never ending saga: RS3 or Colt 45? Tastes great --- less filling. It's good to have two complimentary players to even have the discussion. Why not settle it in a tie?

I think you are right about Rodney getting more minutes than the Hollins/Chip combo. At least I hope you are right. But after WVU, Chip's stock is rising rapidly. Rodney - not so much. My projections after the WVU game were prolly affected by some sort of 'irrational exuberance'. I hope Rodney proves my minimal minute projections for him wrong.

You are right Devoe will cut into Chip and Hollins' minutes. He might 'chip' into Rodney's as well. Like everybody, I like our depth and I like what I have seen from both Chip and Austin. Tubby likes to play a lot of players. He has a lot of players. And he seems to be getting away from the 'Hockey style' substitution pattern - except for once early in the first half. Once he gets that first wave substitution over with he seems to settle into a fairly intricate and rigorous one, two and three player substitution pattern that gets lots of players involved, but still keeps Nolen, Hoff and Mbakwe (and Devoe, when he gets back) on the court for the most minutes. It's a nice problem to have to talk about - spreading around minutes with so much depth.

By the time the Big Ten comes around things could be completely different. This is just some minor speculation after starting out 5-0, being ranked in the top 20 and Tubby saying his second unit is better than his first.

Now if Maverick has a big game against NDSU... :)

"There was a TV show a looong time ago (Laugh In maybe?) that would change segments rapidly in the middle of the show. The abrupt segue for the segment was always, "Now for something entirely different."

"And now for something comPLETEly different."

Monty Python's Flying Circus. Loved that show.

Top Bottom