Myron: "Sources close to the team: Royce White practiced

vaporboy

Patiently waiting in Pasadena
Reaction score
with Gophers men's basketball team today. Still suspended indefinitely."

Makes me think back to when when Tubby said he didn't want to put a number on it (speaking of the suspension), but then went on to say, "It could be 5, it could be 10, it could be 20. ..."

The Gophers are two games shy of 20. We're also into the second semester.

There is no way that the laptop investigation is taking this long. It doesn't make any sense for such a petty crime to be hung up indefinitely. What else could possibly be at play?

Suspended indefinitely from all team activities to being allowed to practice would be a very positive sign. Finally some good news!

C'mon Royce and Tubby

Make it happen.

I think Tubby is seeing the need for rebounding and he knows that he needs Royce, and Royce needs Tubby too. Tubby needs to pull some strings and get him playing him again. This investigation is ridiculous. Murder cases are resolved in shorter time.

There is no way that the laptop investigation is taking this long

Sadly, it is.

It doesn't make any sense for such a petty crime to be hung up indefinitely

You're 100% right. It doesn't. In The police in the PPress story last week the UofM police basically admitted there wasn't a good reason that the investigation was taking so long, citing such reasons as "people were on vacation."

I don't know if he's guilty or not - but it shouldn't take this long to figure it out.

On his radio show he did talk about the wheels of justice moving very slowly and their obvious lack of rebounding in the last game.

I think this is good news. If he's practicing, I'm assuming, he's done what he's needed to do and stayed out of any kind of trouble.

Let's say in a perfect world he's practicing with the team daily now. Does anyone see him coming back any time in the near future to play?

I don't know. I think he's missed too much.

Myron's full article on the Strib website says Royce's lawyer expects it to be resoved 'in about a week'. Way to really step on the gas pedal UMPD!

I think this is good news. If he's practicing, I'm assuming, he's done what he's needed to do and stayed out of any kind of trouble.

Let's say in a perfect world he's practicing with the team daily now. Does anyone see him coming back any time in the near future to play?

I don't know. I think he's missed too much.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he still played if they lift the suspension in the next week or two. I don't think they're concerned with the 4 years of eligibility thing. He would serve a need and could help push this team toward a potential NCAA berth. Plus, if he comes back late enough, couldn't they still use a redshirt cause he doesn't play enough games or something?

All that said, I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play. I'm just gonna trust Tubby to make the right decision for the team, as well as Royce himself.

Myron had several initial comments in his live chat-

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/82052112.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUUULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Not sure what he was getting at but there seems to be other issues in Gopherland from the player with the academic issues-

That player is trying to put himself in a position to play. I will say that this is not as simple as a guy not getting his work done. There were some serious off-court issues that I can't discuss. I think that's part of the process. But a couple of sources have told me that they think the player will be allowed to play.

I also think this is good news. With any luck, and there just hasn't been a lot of it lately, it means Royce has taken a step forward. Sorry, but I just can't see him coming back this year after all the time he's missed. It's not like Trevor who has been practicing everyday. Royce would almost be brand new again.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he still played if they lift the suspension in the next week or two. I don't think they're concerned with the 4 years of eligibility thing. He would serve a need and could help push this team toward a potential NCAA berth.

I'm with you on this Monty. I just think the window is closing on a tourney berth and decisions are going to be made.

If Tubby allows White to play this year it will be just one more reason why a degree from the U of M does not mean as much as a degree from the University of Wisconsin or the University of Illinois. Tubby will have lost me if he bows to the pressure to win at all costs and allows somebody like Royce White to represent the U without paying an appropriate penalty for his crimes. White and his buddies are going to be laughing their asses off when that happens.

Tubby will have lost me if he bows to the pressure to win at all costs and allows somebody like Royce White to represent the U without paying an appropriate penalty for his crimes.

Good Lord man the appropriate penalty to you seems to be a life in prison. Let go of your hate.

If Tubby allows White to play this year it will be just one more reason why a degree from the U of M does not mean as much as a degree from the University of Wisconsin or the University of Illinois. Tubby will have lost me if he bows to the pressure to win at all costs and allows somebody like Royce White to represent the U without paying an appropriate penalty for his crimes. White and his buddies are going to be laughing their asses off when that happens.

It was a 20 game suspension so far. He is now allowed back to practice, not even in a game. Get over yourself, considering his offense, this suspension was more than appropriate.

All that said, I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play. I'm just gonna trust Tubby to make the right decision for the team, as well as Royce himself.

Pretty much where I'm at. But, I would point out also that it seems Tubby/Maturi have sacrificed winning for principal in both Trevor's and Royce's case. They could have brought them both back after the 76 classic or Miami if winning were the case.

Royce hasn't forgotten how to play basketball. Also, he's not playing the point guard, so it's not like he needs to learn how to call plays. He just needs to get out there, find the basketball and score. He doesn't need a year's worth of practice to do that. He'll do better his 1st day than anyone else on the team right now. PLAY HIM!

He's served the appropriate penalty with the courts regarding his misdemeanor charges from the MOA. He pleaded guilty and paid the fines, just like any other person charged with misdemeanor theft and disorderly conduct would. UMPD has basically admitted he's not a suspect in the laptop case.

And, he's missed 18 games so far.

So, what is an appropriate penalty in your opinion?

Myron had several initial comments in his live chat-

My favorite was Myron on RS3: I'm waiting on it, too. I want to see the same fire, same attitude, same "You talkin' 'bout my mama?" ferocity that he had at Indiana Sunday.

If you're serious you're either delusional or holding Tubby and the U to a completely unrealistic standard

Royce- "The Mall of America incident I had already served a suspension for and came back to the team -- that was done with. I was supposed to miss two exhibition games and be back on the team. Then the laptop thing popped up, and the laptop thing was totally ridiculous."

There must have been some breakdown in communication, I don't believe Tubby was ever going to let him play after missing two exhibition games if the 'laptop thing' never happened.

Lol :clap::clap::clap:

Since we are NIT Bound anyway, we may as well redshirt him now.
As a potential impact player and team difference maker there were preseason comparisons between RW and John Wall.Without this unfair stint of a suspension we would probably be close to unbeaten and be ranked in the top 5.

With all your pissing and moaning about Royce this is what you have to say?

As a potential impact player and team difference maker there were preseason comparisons between RW and John Wall.Without this unfair stint of a suspension we would probably be close to unbeaten and be ranked in the top 5.

Early contender for preposterous statement of the year! :clap:

millions

Since we are NIT Bound anyway, we may as well redshirt him now.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-wall12040/white991009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

You continue to astound me with your "musings". :clap::clap::clap:

Sentence #1 : I tend to agree with.

Sentence #2 : I never heard such a thing. Can you provide a link please?

Sentence #3 : "we would probably be close to unbeaten and be ranked in the top 5."

Respectfully I have to say sentence #3 is one of the most ridiculous opinions I have ever seen on this board. But that is just IMHO.

You continue to astound me with your "musings". :clap::clap::clap:

Sentence #1 : I tend to agree with.

Sentence #2 : I never heard such a thing. Can you provide a link please?

Sentence #3 : "we would probably be close to unbeaten and be ranked in the top 5."

Respectfully I have to say sentence #3 is one of the most ridiculous opinions I have ever seen on this board. But that is just IMHO.

#2.. i think the 2009 ESPN's class breakdown did mention Wall would be the biggest impact PG and White would be an immediate PF impact player in the b10.. (that is now 'insider only' info on espn.com and i don't have an account.) Doesn't exactly compare the two per se, but it does say they will both provide immediate impact.

With no inside knowledge I think the other issues with that academic player might be missing classes because it would make sense

Someone else asked and he said something along the lines that it was personal issues of some sort. He indicated he knew what was going on but couldn't talk about it. Who knows. I thought he was alluding to something naughty. That's just the way I read it though. We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Top Bottom