Myron on Rodney Williams

I think Rodney will play

On paper he seems like a great redshirt candidate--he needs to develop a jumpshot to play the 2, the 3 is pretty crowded--and he would benefit from a year to focus on his studies and adjust to college life. But somehow I think Tubby will find a niche for PT...

I also think he will play, however, you can't really argue with Myron's points about why he should redshirt. If there ever was a good candidate to let sit a year and grow physically and academically, it'd probably be Rodney.

Watching Rodney at Howard Pulley over the summer, I had no doubt he would play. He is just too athletic to sit out a year.

Sure, he has some raw points, but he will make a difference this year - he rounds out the ability to put some pretty sick defensive pressure units on the floor. Plus, he is a finisher at the rim - we have lacked those recently.

As FoT has pointed out, Tubby tends not to do much red-shirting. I am guessing his philosophy is to develop players, graduate them, and get new ones in. If Rodney develops well, he could well be in the NBA in year 5, not a RS senior.

This is an interesting topic, in my opinion. Pending the situation with Mbakwe, there could be 13 players vying for time on the court. It only makes sense that at least one player redshirt. That leaves room for an injury or two and that still leaves us with ten guys. But I am not convinced that Rodney is the guy to redshirt.

In the case of Rodney, will a year off actually help this guy? I mean, a lot of the knock on him is his slight frame. Would he be able to get up like he does if he were 215-220 lbs? Why not use him to his fullest capacity where he is now? If the guy gets six points, three blocks and a steal each game, and if 4 of those points were transition jams that lit up the Barn and turned the momentum of a game (and made Sport Center each night), will we still be talking redshirt?

If he is a liability on the defensive end, that will solve the playing time issue right away because Tubby will find him a nice spot to watch the game from.

This is an interesting topic, in my opinion. Pending the situation with Mbakwe, there could be 13 players vying for time on the court. It only makes sense that at least one player redshirt. That leaves room for an injury or two and that still leaves us with ten guys. But I am not convinced that Rodney is the guy to redshirt.

In the case of Rodney, will a year off actually help this guy? I mean, a lot of the knock on him is his slight frame. Would he be able to get up like he does if he were 215-220 lbs? Why not use him to his fullest capacity where he is now? If the guy gets six points, three blocks and a steal each game, and if 4 of those points were transition jams that lit up the Barn and turned the momentum of a game (and made Sport Center each night), will we still be talking redshirt?

If he is a liability on the defensive end, that will solve the playing time issue right away because Tubby will find him a nice spot to watch the game from.

Three blocks?

Top Bottom