Myron Medcalf guest column in Omaha paper: "Gophers aren’t only game in town"

I'd be interested to hear the responses of the Nebraska fans on the subject. Having direct competition for the expendable income of fans isn't something that's all that common in the Big Ten (or in too many other places), so it seems so foreign.

As far as the major four league, it's the Minneapolis four, Chicago's five and Columbus' one. And let's face it, Ohio State hockey is irrelevant, so that hardly works for the exercise. It's considerations like this that make the idea that Minnesota skipped the Big City Marketing Summit seem odd.

Despite that competition, those of us that are season ticket holders, that attend, cheer and grumble...when they do succeed, we can say we were there all along. And that will make those special moments taste just a little sweeter.

Skipping the Big city summit is just another big screwup by our inept AD.

It's pretty simple now that we have an on campus stadium in a pro sports city.
We have an opportunity to produce a unique product, unlike anything any other local sports team can duplicate.
A COLLEGE ATMOSPHERE!
Tailgating, marching bands, coeds, parties, homeschool pride, student sections, the list goes on and on.

But all of that has been completely F'ed by our administration, COMPLETELY.
Let's face it, they tried to implement a pro style gameday atmosphere with college gameday tidbits. They tried to make max money off of the established fan base instead of encouraging younger fans to take interest and expand the fanbase.

Get that student tailgate lot Kill talked about going.
Reduce tailgate lot prices until every spot is full. THEN increase fees, repeat.
March down University, city of Minneapolis be damned. Show some balls for god's sake.
They going to arrest the damn marching band?
Encourage student parties at Frat Row and in public open areas of the university, cops keep it safe but don't bust balls.
Let the students have fun with THEIR section, no legislating Tshirt slogans or giving breath tests in line. The lack of 11am kickoffs will help. Make it a party, the students will pack it.

Overall show some fight/brashness in the rivalries, our AD's love of all things badger has blinded him to how much Minnesotans embrace our contests with neighboring states.
Maturi's comments at halftime during the badger game this season were treasonous, he should have been left in Madison, absolutely disgusting.

There's an opportunity for great things if the right leadership can steer the right course, until then we're a blip in a pro city market.

We have an opportunity to produce a unique product, unlike anything any other local sports team can duplicate.
A COLLEGE ATMOSPHERE!
Tailgating, marching bands, coeds, parties, homeschool pride, student sections, the list goes on and on.

When I got to this point in your post, I was thinking about how I was going to make a post with a joke about marching down University.

But then you beat me to it...:mad:

What did Joel say again during halftime of that game?

Also, in 2009 didnt he have a suite filled with Badger people? Disgusting.

What did Joel say again during halftime of that game?

Also, in 2009 didnt he have a suite filled with Badger people? Disgusting.

Basically how great Madison is, how happy he was to be back in Camp Randall and see all of his freinds, how first rate the University of Wisconsin is, etc badger ball washing.
I don't know word for word, after a few seconds Maturi rage kicked in and things went black.

All I've got to say is that the U clearly doesn't have this thing figured out, going to this big city meeting couldn't have hurt.

Well ole: I have been talking about the incompetence of...

badger joel macturi for a LONG time. Some killjoys on this site have always tried to bash me for my outspoken stance on bjm and prexy b. But, I have continued to pound home about the need to ditch badger joel macturi for a LONG time.

I'm glad to see that you too want to get rid of this incompetent and pathetic excuse for an athletic director.

When ever you have the chance: tell the world just how incapable, how inept and how totally BADger joel macturi IS. It is long past time to throw him under the bus. Fortunately prexy b is as good as gone now. Good riddance. They have hurt Gopher Football more than can be stated. They have driven the revenue sports downhill further each year they have been "hanging on" to their jobs, lame ducking the University of Minnesota. I like the passion with which you express your disgust with badger joel macturi ole! Well done... ; 0 )

A COLLEGE ATMOSPHERE!

Let's face it, they tried to implement a pro style gameday atmosphere with college gameday tidbits. They tried to make max money off of the established fan base instead of encouraging younger fans to take interest and expand the fanbase.

Reduce tailgate lot prices until every spot is full. THEN increase fees, repeat.
March down University, city of Minneapolis be damned. Show some balls for god's sake.
Encourage student parties at Frat Row and in public open areas of the university, cops keep it safe but don't bust balls.
Let the students have fun with THEIR section, no legislating Tshirt slogans or giving breath tests in line. The lack of 11am kickoffs will help. Make it a party, the students will pack it.

Overall show some fight/brashness in the rivalries, our AD's love of all things badger has blinded him to how much Minnesotans embrace our contests with neighboring states.
Maturi's comments at halftime during the badger game this season were treasonous, he should have been left in Madison, absolutely disgusting.

There's an opportunity for great things if the right leadership can steer the right course, until then we're a blip in a pro city market.

-I completely agree with every point in this post. A controlled party for everyone is what the game should be. That's what makes everyone come. If you have ever been to an Iowa State tailgate, you know what I am talking about it. It is a great time.

A controlled party for everyone is what the game should be. It is a great time.

Hell Yes. A for concerned families, a kids zone to dump them off while you go tailgating.

A COLLEGE ATMOSPHERE!

+1 that pretty much covers it. Do everything in this post + a few more wins and people will be fighting to get into TCF.

Obama_Hope_Poster.jpg

GameSix.jpg

This really rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I mean, OSU's program speaks for itself (pre sweater vest scandal). Slurping the Bucknuts? Unless I'm reading it wrong, and it means OSU is being tested against the best...

Honestly, anyone on this board could have tweeted this while taking a dump.

Top Bottom