Myron: Mbakwe questioned by Minneapolis police

The other thread on this is out of control, and I'm wondering what kind of car it was. Reportedly he kicked a car. Back in my day college car doors were predominantly thick metal and it would be a significant feat to actually dent a car. It's my perception people in their 20's place a higher value on car aesthetics then people did back in the early 90's when I went to school. A kick to a car door back then would have been a futile effort that would have most likely only dislodged some flaking/rusted paint.

The other thread on this is out of control, and I'm wondering what kind of car it was. Reportedly he kicked a car. Back in my day college car doors were predominantly thick metal and it would be a significant feat to actually dent a car. It's my perception people in their 20's place a higher value on car aesthetics then people did back in the early 90's when I went to school. A kick to a car door back then would have been a futile effort that would have most likely only dislodged some flaking/rusted paint.

There is a reason he wasn't arrested.

Reportedly he kicked a car. Back in my day college car doors were predominantly thick metal and it would be a significant feat to actually dent a car.

They certainly don't make cars like they used to, though. Kicking a car door is dumb, but way dumber/worse stuff happens in Dinkytown every night.

I used to say that it added character to my truck when something happened to it. But kids also drive much nicer cars now.

Back in my day, a long time ago, college students only could afford clunkers, and it was hard to put another dent in a car that already was all dents, because the non-dented portions were all rust. But the radio worked.

This had nothing to do with the car...even if it was a Bentley...this was a couple of dbag kids razzing some Gophers and pushing their buttons and Trevor fell into the trap and kicked the car...then the kids called the cops and ratted Trevor out...cuz thats what dbag kids do.

Whether they are weak in body, small brained or little dicked is no matter...I am sure they suffer from one of these traits...and have a future in law inforcement.

Trevor Mbakwe must be the unluckiest person on this planet. He is clearly a target and it appears many people in this world are going out of there way to bring him down. He has a penchant for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is clearly a model citizen with a spotless record and should be cleared of any wrong doing.

Trevor Mbakwe must be the unluckiest person on this planet. He is clearly a target and it appears many people in this world are going out of there way to bring him down. He has a penchant for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is clearly a model citizen with a spotless record and should be cleared of any wrong doing.

They see me trollin, they hatin

Believe it or not, people target you when you are well-known. And yes, appearing regularily on ESPN and in the paper, makes you well known. Especially in your hometown.

He let the trash talk get to him. Shouldn't have done that. He needs to realize as a "public figure" people and police will target him. Especially when he has the "record" that he does. Police hear "Trevor Mbakwe" and they come running even if it is not really that serious of an issue.

But I am sure whenever someone has mouthed off to you at the bar, you just smiled and gave them a big hug huh? Didn't even give them a dirty look, just borrowed em a few bucks, kissed their feet, and called it another succesful night out.

I do not excuse what Trevor did what so ever and it was a poor judgment call to make.

I also think that those who were being rude to the three people at the bar (Trevor, Blake, and Al), even if they were not athletes, needs to take a serious look in the mirror. Get a life. People go to the bar to relax, have fun, and socialize while in college. If you go to the bar looking to be rude to people and start fights with anyone, you may as well just cuddle up with your blankey, and stay home and not ruin the night for everyone else.

This reminds me of a tweet from a football player, forgot who it was,

"A kid asked me how it felt to only win 3 games last season, I responded by asking how it felt to pay for school."

Point being, yes these people are athletes but seriously, get over yourself and leave them alone when you see them in public. Have a positive comment you want to share, go ahead, but seriously the negativity is unnecesary.

And if you don't think it is bad the treatment they occasionally get, these are real tweets sent to Duke PG Kyrie Irving. He has had multiple players from other schools reaching out to him. THIS is how some immature fans behave, and while Kyrie absolutley shouldn't do any physical harm, but if he did, who could blame him? Imagine if someone said these things to you at a bar in person, instead of on twitter.

**EDIT, it appears he has since gotten rid of the tweets (and all other tweets) since this happened so I am unable to get them, But it was last night, and the person put his phone number out telling people to call and taunt him, was saying things like his recently deceased mother was ashamed of him and he was a disgrace to her and he was an embarresment to Duke basketball and just a lot of very hateful things. This person was a Duke "fan".

There were tweets from Jared Sullinger and former Duke players wishing him the best all while this person was tweeting all this at him. It was pretty disgusting. So before you judge players for being whatever you want to say they arre realize what they go through every day with "fans" and put yourselves in their shoes for a moment. I am sure it is nice getting free schooling and doing what they love in basketball, but there is a lot of crap that comes with it too and a lot of very hard work.

Believe it or not, people target you when you are well-known. And yes, appearing regularily on ESPN and in the paper, makes you well known. Especially in your hometown.

He let the trash talk get to him. Shouldn't have done that. He needs to realize as a "public figure" people and police will target him. Especially when he has the "record" that he does. Police hear "Trevor Mbakwe" and they come running even if it is not really that serious of an issue.

But I am sure whenever someone has mouthed off to you at the bar, you just smiled and gave them a big hug huh? Didn't even give them a dirty look, just borrowed em a few bucks, kissed their feet, and called it another succesful night out.

I do not excuse what Trevor did what so ever and it was a poor judgment call to make.

I also think that those who were being rude to the three people at the bar (Trevor, Blake, and Al), even if they were not athletes, needs to take a serious look in the mirror. Get a life. People go to the bar to relax, have fun, and socialize while in college. If you go to the bar looking to be rude to people and start fights with anyone, you may as well just cuddle up with your blankey, and stay home and not ruin the night for everyone else.

"A kid asked me how it felt to only win 3 games last season, I responded by asking how it felt to pay for school."

Point being, yes these people are athletes but seriously, get over yourself and leave them alone when you see them in public. Have a positive comment you want to share, go ahead, but seriously the negativity is unnecesary.

And if you don't think it is bad the treatment they occasionally get, these are real tweets sent to Duke PG Kyrie Irving. He has had multiple players from other schools reaching out to him. THIS is how some immature fans behave, and while Kyrie absolutley shouldn't do any physical harm, but if he did, who could blame him? Imagine if someone said these things to you at a bar in person, instead of on twitter.

**EDIT, it appears he has since gotten rid of the tweets (and all other tweets) since this happened so I am unable to get them, But it was last night, and the person put his phone number out telling people to call and taunt him, was saying things like his recently deceased mother was ashamed of him and he was a disgrace to her and he was an embarresment to Duke basketball and just a lot of very hateful things. This person was a Duke "fan".

There were tweets from Jared Sullinger and former Duke players wishing him the best all while this person was tweeting all this at him. It was pretty disgusting. So before you judge players for being whatever you want to say they arre realize what they go through every day with "fans" and put yourselves in their shoes for a moment. I am sure it is nice getting free schooling and doing what they love in basketball, but there is a lot of crap that comes with it too and a lot of very hard work.

Whatever. Keep the excuse machine rollin'. There's plenty of other "well known" people walking around campus and they have the restraint not to kick in a car door or harass an old girlfriend. It's amazing how much slack everyone gives a guy just because he can rebound and dunk.

"I do not excuse what Trevor did what so ever and it was a poor judgment call to make."

How many more times do we have to hear this?

Whatever. Keep the excuse machine rollin'. There's plenty of other "well known" people walking around campus and they have the restraint not to kick in a car door or harass an old girlfriend. It's amazing how much slack everyone gives a guy just because he can rebound and dunk.

"I do not excuse what Trevor did what so ever and it was a poor judgment call to make."

How many more times do we have to hear this?

I agree with you. There are plenty of people who do it just fine. That's why it IS an issue.

I am just adding to it, that until walking in people's shoes you can't really judge how they responded. Considering, you have no idea how you personally would respond either in the same exact situation. You can speak in hypotheticals, but a lot of any average persons decision making and ideas come from the life they led, not a life as a basketball player.

It was an inappropriate thing to do and he needs to respond differently. The parties who's car it was are not completely innocent either. Yes it is not right to kick someone's car door, but is it not also incorrect to treat strangers like trash?

If he had multiple cases of serious offenses, yes it may be a bigger problem, but the last two have been fairly minor. A misdemeanor for one and no charges filed (most likely) for another.

Malcolm Floyd just got a DUI last night, Adrian Peterson drove a car at dangerously high speeds, Braylon Edwards had a DWI, and the list goes on. Frankly, kicking a car door is not up there with all of those (which legally it is not). His offenses include sending a kind facebook message to a girl who had a restraining order and kicking a car door, I don't think those two alone make him any kind of terrible person.

In fact, I would bet if you polled current and former University students on whether or not they have ever kicked a car door, you may get more than one person to say yes.

The miami case was never an admission or finding of guilt, and therefore I do not count it.

Vandergay, I guess u gonna have to keep hearing it as long as you keep posting on GH.

Let's see now. I kicked a guys car cause he pissed me off. He kicked my clunker cause I pissed him off. 2 wrongs make a right, kind of like mathematics.... Negative times a negative equals a positive. So, I guess it is beer time. Relax people.

Art is consistent. He pisses everyone off. Go Art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol well he has not pissed me off, so he hasn't won yet!

I do not know Art, nor do I believe I ever will.

I disagree with him in many regards, but that is part of what makes message boards (and sports for that matter) entertaining ... debate!

The parties who's car it was are not completely innocent either. Yes it is not right to kick someone's car door, but is it not also incorrect to treat strangers like trash?

What was said between the parties? Or are you making assumptions? You bring up 'innocent', yet dismiss matters when there is no formal admission of guilt per a court of law... what is your definition of innocence? Seems that your standards change depending on the person.

scher215 said:
His offenses include sending a kind facebook message to a girl who had a restraining order

LOL... I'd find that comment offensive if it weren't so silly.

There is nothing unreasonable about what Art has said in this thread. Not in the slightest.

We are back to needing to cite sources again, okay here goes nothing ...

What was said between the parties? Or are you making assumptions? You bring up 'innocent', yet dismiss matters when there is no formal admission of guilt per a court of law... what is your definition of innocence? Seems that your standards change depending on the person..

Definition of Innocence: A persons legal standing until a court of law has proven otherwise or admission has occured.

I am not saying Trevor is guilty nor that the others heckled. I assumed equally for both parties the witness account was acurate, I apologize for not throwing in "if witness accounts are accurate then ..." before every single post. I left it out to save time and hope that people could understand that we are basing all of this off of witness accounts and nothing said under oath.

My different take on innocence, I will elaborarte on your question. The parties who were being rude did nothing illegal (that I can see at least - maybe something minor?), Trevor did do something illegal (damaged property). In the eyes of they law, they are both currently innocent of breaking any laws. I discussed the situation under the assumption Trevor kicked the door and the other parties were rude (as witnesses have stated). Do I know that they are guilty? Nope.

As far as different standards for different people, I never once said The students heckled them for sure, but no way did Trevor kick that door or vice versa. That would indicate a "difference in standards" for innocence. I looked at the situation either assuming guilty or innocent for BOTH parties equally. If both parties were guilty of the actions it is stated that they did, it was poor decisions made by both parties. Luckily for everyone, it is not up to us to determine these things, it is up to the legal system.

Also luckily, both things they are being accused of are rather minor. Being rude is frowned upon as is kicking a car door.

Personally (and I know many people disagree or have different beliefs) but I do feel if you try to start a fight and you happen to get one, you are more at fault than the person who responded. Yes the responder should keep a level head and ignore it, but going into a situation with the intent to "start a fight" is not something I applaud. I do take more sympathy with the person who responds to poor treatment than I do with the person who starts the issue to begin with. Both parties would be at fault, but I look more negativley on the one who "started it"

Please provide me any statements I have posted that you have questions about, I would be glad to offer an explanation for where you see errors. Maybe I can help clear some things up for you?

Source of the other parties being rude to the players ...

I just heard from a witness that Mbakwe kicked a car door. Al Nolen and Rodney Williams were with him. Some guy was trying to pick a fight with the players, talking about that they couldn't even make the NIT, and heckling them, and he jumped in a car and drove off, and Trevor kicked the door as he was driving off, and the police showed up an hour later to arrest Trevor. Al Nolen was trying to defend Trevor and said he didn't do anything. The Bouncer at the Library told his friends to get Al out of there, and Al said if they arrest Trevor, he can arrest me too because he didn't do anything. He was very upset and emotional, and kept telling the cops that Trevor didn't do anything.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=28579

LOL... I'd find that comment offensive if it weren't so silly

"I know we haven't talked in forever and trust me I'm not trying to start any drama with nobody in your life or anything. I just wanted to wish u the best with everything and I hope all has been well with you and your family. I am still disappointed how everything played out and I do wish that in the future we could be cool again. Idk how u r going to take this msg hopefully its not bad but I just wanted to wish u a happy new year and send out a congrats for graduating. I've been well I'm finally playin bball again in everything down in miami finally got taken care of thank god. Well idk if u will respond or not but best wishes for 2011."

http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Trev...ssage_Im_not_trying_to_start_any_drama011111#

I would classify the message itself as being "kind" in nature. However, kind is a very subjective word. Maybe you disagree?

Yes, the girl had a restraining order and I also stated this. Which is why it was illegal and a poor choice to make (as doing anything illegal is).

Fortunatley for us that live in the United States of America, we have this thing called a legal system that judges people for their offenses. They will surely make a decision based upon the facts and will also do the same with the door kicking, they did this in Miami as well. The legal system, people who work in regards to the rules and regulations we have set up in our society have not determined him to be deserving of jail time at this point. They have also not decided he has done anything serious in nature (A misdemeanor is not considered serious) ... why have you?

Besides, shouldn't you be busy saving money in order to bet on who will or won't ever wear a Gophers uniform again?

That pretty much sums up the flip side of being a "privileged" collegiate athlete. Well stated and I agree 100%.

blah blah blah

I judge people all the time based on my own principles and perspective. You do too. If I judged people only based on what the legal system has opined on, my life would be at an absolute stand still. I really don't get the, "well it's only a misdemeanor and that's not too bad according to the law, I think.. so, no one should care" deal... yeesh. If that is your standard, that's fine, but it's not mine.

I've offered up bets a couple of times on this message board on things I felt strongly about, but certainly never on Mbakwe playing or not. You're making things up. If you want an example, search the recently-offered Mo Walker proposition. While multiple sources, including those that cite people within the Gophers program, say they expect Maurice Walker will receive a medical redshirt (i.e., hardship waiver), I have offered up great odds to anyone who wants to bet me... if he gets a waiver as the consensus seems to think, I pay you 2 to 1... if crazy ol' me gets it right, the pay out is just 1 to 1... I have had no takers as of yet. Let me know if you want to be the first.

You define that message as 'kind'. Personally, I (along with the sheriff and courts) define it as illegal. But, again, I guess that 'legal system' thing that you brought up is only relevant to you when convenient.

I judge people all the time based on my own principles and perspective. You do too. If I judged people only based on what the legal system has opined on, my life would be at an absolute stand still. I really don't get the, "well it's only a misdemeanor and that's not too bad according to the law, I think.. so, no one should care" deal... yeesh. If that is your standard, that's fine, but it's not mine.

I've offered up bets a couple of times on this message board on things I felt strongly about, but certainly never on Mbakwe playing or not. You're making things up. If you want an example, search the recently-offered Mo Walker proposition. While multiple sources, including those that cite people within the Gophers program, say they expect Maurice Walker will receive a medical redshirt (i.e., hardship waiver), I have offered up great odds to anyone who wants to bet me... if he gets a waiver as the consensus seems to think, I pay you 2 to 1... if crazy ol' me gets it right, the pay out is just 1 to 1... I have had no takers as of yet. Let me know if you want to be the first.

You define that message as 'kind'. Personally, I (along with the sheriff and courts) define it as illegal. But, again, I guess that 'legal system' thing that you brought up is only relevant to you when convenient.

GopherWarrior, can something not be kind and illegal?

Originally Posted by scher215
His offenses include sending a kind facebook message to a girl who had a restraining order

Kind? Yes. But what were Mbakwe's true intentions with that Facebook message? We'll obviously never know but I would imagine that's how stalkers and creepy dudes get their foot in their door....

Cannot say that I do not do the same. It is human nature. I try to avoid doing it with people I do not know or for events that I was not present for. I leave that up to courts to decide, considering often very few people know what REALLY happened.

Yes, a misdemeanor is a lower crime. I never once said no one should care. People seem to wish to paint Trevor as a horrible person, where as I disagree. I do not feel a misdeamonor (maybe two after the car thing, have to see how it plays out) makes you a horrible person. Perhaps we disagree there as well?

I've offered up bets a couple of times on this message board on things I felt strongly about, but certainly never on Mbakwe playing or not. You're making things up. If you want an example, search the recently-offered Mo Walker proposition. While multiple sources, including those that cite people within the Gophers program, say they expect Maurice Walker will receive a medical redshirt (i.e., hardship waiver), I have offered up great odds to anyone who wants to bet me... if he gets a waiver as the consensus seems to think, I pay you 2 to 1... if crazy ol' me gets it right, the pay out is just 1 to 1... I have had no takers as of yet. Let me know if you want to be the first..

Apparently you are very deffensive about a comment another poster made about your "bet" (which, I actually agreed with you, you did not make that bet) but apparently it is a bit of a sensitive subject for you?

Let me clarify, I felt the message was kindly worded. (Do you disagree?) It was in fact ILLEGAL, no argument there. That is why he was charged with a crime. I will argue, that it was kindly worded though as most of the words were kind in nature, correct? Something can be kindly worded and illegal. As we have seen in this case. I apologize if my argument came across as he was being a nice guy and kind by sending it. It was merely kindly worded.

Kind? Yes. But what were Mbakwe's true intentions with that Facebook message? We'll obviously never know but I would imagine that's how stalkers and creepy dudes get their foot in their door....

Agreed.

We never will know, only Trevor knows.

I was only saying, the message was kindly worded (as you seemed to have agreed with as well) it was still illegal and he did / will / might / face some ruling on how bad it was.

GopherWarrior, can something not be kind and illegal?

Based on my subjective view of 'kindness', absolutely something can be both kind and illegal.. But some people know more of the history here than others as it relates to the particular matter being discussed.

scher215 said:
I do not feel a misdeamonor (maybe two after the car thing, have to see how it plays out) makes you a horrible person. Perhaps we disagree there as well?

No, we don't disagree. A misdeamonor (sic) does not make one a horrible person. I don't know where the 'horrible person' thing is coming from. You might be reading things that aren't there.

My comment was that your description of the guy's illegal act for which he was arrested as 'kind' was silly. That's it. Let's move forward.

Yeah, he was probably just trying to rape her...:rolleyes:

By itself, this was a minor incident. However, there are several things ignored by people excusing or minimizing what Mbakwe did.

One, it again really calls into question Trevor's maturity, self-discipline, and judgement. There's the original restraining order. Say what you will, but a judge issues those after a hearing when there is a potential for violence. Then there is the Florida case where Trevor takes a plea. Part of the plea is an order to stay out of trouble. Then Trevor is arrested for violating the restraining order. What he did seems harmless, but why even go there? Now, he gets pissed off enough to go chasing after a car and kicking the door because he was heckled. One dent, no big deal. Besides they're d'bags anyway. How many speeches do you think Trevor has heard about representing the University and the need to stay out of trouble? How many face to face meetings do you think Trevor has had with somebody who has told him he has to watch himself because he's running out of chances? Now, is he so stupid that his situation hasn't sunk through, or is he so arrogant that he thinks rules don't apply to him? Doesn't mean Trevor is a bad person, but bad luck doesn't explain it either.

Second, and I'm in parent mode here, there was a potential for this to have been a lot worse. What if Trevor had reacted before these idiots were driving off? An angry Trevor could hurt somebody very quickly. and all of the excuses in the world wouldn't make the assault charges go away. Worse, what if someone in the car had a weapon and they had stopped and gotten out? Before you think I'm getting too dramatic, remember the name Brandon Hall. Sorry, even if you're young and have the same rights as other college kids, you have to know you're in the public eye. That means you can be a target. and it means you can't be acting like this.

Finally, the perception of the athletic program is very important, and athletes have a part of the responsibility for that perception. WCCO had about a minute on, "A University athlete being investigated," last night. It wasn't worth the time and it was poorly done, but it's going to be done and it hurts the University. The casual fan, University faculty, parents of recruits, potential donors, and the people in St. Paul controlling the purse strings are all important in achieving the athletic department's goals. If you don't think these repeated negative stories don't make a difference with people who don't live on GopherHole, you really do live in some 13-year old's world.

As much as I enjoy seeing him play and hope he's back, I've got to think there's been some discussion today if it's worth having him back. We've had the last two years derailed in large part by off-court issues, and I couldn't argue too much if Tubby and Maturi decided to lessen the risk for it happening next year again.

Top Bottom