Myron blogs about media access to Trevor, and other odds and ends

BleedGopher

Reaction score
This is going to be an interesting year for the Gophers
By Myron Medcalf

October 20, 2009

This is my third year covering Gophers basketball. I don't feel like a veteran yet. But I’m no rookie, either.

So I anticipated a stern reaction from Gophers officials, players and coaches during the team's media day Friday morning, since it was held a day after I wrote a story about the numerous questions marks surrounding the squad entering the upcoming year.

In years past, the Gophers let reporters roam around Williams Arena to interview any player or assistant coach. Kind of a free-for-all.

Before this year’s media day began, however, Tubby Smith delivered a message (via a team spokesman) to the assembled reporters: "No questions about players' pasts, legal situations or academic issues."

Translation: "Don't ask Trevor Mbakwe about the great, big elephant in the room also known as a felony assault charge that threatens to disrupt the season of a potential starter.”

After a brief team meeting, coaches and officials placed 13 chairs along the Barn sideline. Each player took a seat and team officials/coaches stood nearby to make sure we didn't violate their rules for the interviews.

As soon I walked up to Mbakwe, one of Minnesota's communications reps ran over to monitor the exchange.
It's clear that the Gophers have instituted extreme quality control over the Mbakwe situation.

As long as athletic director Joel Maturi continues to keep us all in limbo about Mbakwe's playing status, we will continue to ask questions.

Even if Maturi allows Mbakwe to play, the junior's trial is still scheduled for Dec. 14, 2009, and will certainly affect his inaugural year with the Gophers if the trial date does not change.

No one’s going to ignore the fact that a major contributor might not suit up for the Gophers this season.

In spite of the extra security, players were open and forthcoming with their thoughts about the upcoming season. They also displayed a chemistry that I haven't seen over the last two years.

During the last two media days, players joined their respective cliques before and after interviews. But Friday, the young guys and vets stood together. They joked. They laughed. They talked.

Regardless of what happens with Mbakwe, I think he’ll get a lot of support from his teammates. Mbakwe was one of the biggest jokesters Friday. It seems like the rest of the team has really embraced him, while he navigates his current circumstances.

I think a lot of it has to do with the leadership of seniors Damian Johnson and Lawrence Westbrook. When they were sophomores, the Gophers didn't have that chemistry in part because of the age gap between the team's vets and young players.

I think Johnson and Westbrook are determined to keep this team together during what could be a special year for Gophers basketball.

At this point, I’m convinced it will certainly be an interesting one.

Here are some of my other observations from player interviews during Friday's media day:

-Ralph Sampson III and Colton Iverson have certainly bulked up. Sampson said Dexter Pittman's dominance against him in last season's NCAA tournament loss against Texas inspired him to focus on building up his legs over the summer.

-Westbrook really lost 40 pounds over the summer. He told me that he weighed in at 182 pounds Friday morning but doesn’t think he’s lost any strength.

-Even though the team has 12 small forwards, 15 shooting guards and about 10 guys who think they can play both positions, no one seems to be concerned about playing time. It’s as if they all look at their minutes the same way Allen Iverson thinks about practice: “Minutes. We talkin’ ‘bout minutes. Not a game. Not a game. Not a game. Minutes.”

-Royce White sported a new “TC” tattoo, which he said he got recently to affirm his allegiance to the Twin Cities. A year ago, he put an “M” in his hair to rep the University of Minnesota. The former Hopkins forward loves being home. But he’s running out of ways to prove it.

-Justin Cobbs and Paul Carter, both from L.A., are excited about a chance to go back to the West Coast for the 76 Classic in Anaheim over Thanksgiving weekend.

-Al Nolen said carrying the load got to him last season and affected the way he played down the stretch. He said he believes things will be different this season. He said he sat down with Smith over the summer to get a better sense of the coach’s expectations. He also watched a lot of NBA point guards on film.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/65...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

Go Gophers!!

Good stuff.

Ever since that Texas game, I've been hoping that it served as motivation for he and Colt. Pittman's a very good player, but he just abused them. Dallas Lauderdale is a similarly built player and did much the same, even though he's no where near Pittman, talent-wise.

Good to hear about the chemistry too.. with our glut of forwards, everyone liking each other and not being worried about minutes will be important

Dallas Lauderdale is a similarly built player and did much the same, even though he's no where near Pittman, talent-wise.

Lauderdale did much the same in what sense?

Actually, looking back at the box scores for those games, he didn't do much to us statistically. But I remember watching those games and thinking that our guys were totally overmatched, easily shoved out of position and generally ineffective when Lauderdale was guarding them.

What does everyone have against Myron? Just curious...

I think some GHers feel he's overly critical, while at the same time not that knowledgeable. We tend to be sensitive toward real or perceived slights against our Gophers.

I think he's fine though sometimes I'm irritated with the tendency of reporters thinking they're part of the story. For example, he leads this off with information about himself and how Gopher officials reacted to him instead of his impressions of the players which is what I'm really interested in. I realize it's a function of the internet and reporters becoming media personalities, but it gets a bit much. Myron is trying too hard to compete with the Wild writer, Michael Russo, who almost has a cult and with the Twins writer, LaVelle, who is on all over the place. Then again, these guys work at the same place Sid does so it's no wonder. That would be like expecting Michael Jackson's kids to grow up to be normal.

There's a range of reasons why some folks don't like or distrust Myron. Some of it

• dates back to his collegiate experience and some writing he did at Minnesota State (Mankato).
  • is caused by the fact that he was relatively inexperienced and was replacing a fairly experienced reporter (who was, IMO, pretty good).
  • is based on his grasp of how to write ... and how journalists write. It's probably correlated with the above point but his writing skills are weak from time to time. (I think it's improved but then there will be a recurrence and you begin to wonder all over again)
  • is based on things he put out there regarding possible starters, possible defections from the program, etc.
  • is a bit of jealousy that Myron is paid to write and has a pulpit while others here blog voluntarily and think they know as much. And they might know as much -- or more -- about some things but for some reason, the Strib refused to recognize their brilliance and went with Myron. ... :rolleyes:

I suspect it's like the menu in an Asian restaurant: you can mix and match the justification(s) for various people.

One particular brown-nose came in about the time that Tubby arrived and declared Myron a "very good" reporter and defended him. Not sure what the turning point was, but that same person is now pretty critical. Who knows, maybe Tubby mentioned to one of his "friends" that he didn't like Myron and thus the turn-around.

My take is he is not very knowledgeable and doesn't work very hard. That piece is the best I have read from Myron. Maybe he is growing into the job.

Shelman was an exceptional beat reporter. Hard to replace.

"Shelman was an exceptional beat reporter. Hard to replace."

Echo those sentiments. That's one of the big things Myron has working against him; he's being compared to the previous beat reporter who did a stellar job.

My problems with him are:

He was way too inexperienced to be put into that position, but that's on the Star Tribune.

He injects more opinions into his writing then he should. He's a beat writer, not a columnist.

He's generally just not very good, though he seems to be improving.

He's not nearly as good as Shelman. He's also not nearly as good as Marcus Fuller at the Pioneer Press. It's probably the one major spot in the sports department where they are superior to the Strib.

OK, Myron had a rough beginning. I think he current stuff is is decent. Maybe a bit like Westbrook as a freshman and Westbrook as a junior?

He's no Sidney Hartman

but I followed him on his live blog chat the other day at the STRIB and thought he did well on that. I think he also is improving as a reporter.

Jeff was very good but I am not sure that Myron could have broke the story about Monson getting let go in the spring of 200?.

Good to hear that RS3 and Colt have bulked up. How naive am I to think that just having those two guys bigger/stronger/older is worth one additional win this season? Last year it was tough to watch the GGs try to move inside. I've got to think that if they can command just a bit more attention then at bare minimum the the outside shooting should be a bit easier. Hoff - I'm looking at you!

Top Bottom