Myrick Bursts Into Spotlight

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

Myrick is the fastest player on the team and some say he is the fastest player in the Big Ten. As a high school junior, he was the 100-meter dash runner-up at Georgia’s state track meet. His two-year track experience played a role in his ability to cover receivers, and to change a game with a long return.

“It taught me how to run even faster,” he said. “I just tell myself I can go faster, and then I just hit another gear.”

While he tries to help the Gophers win games during his senior year, Myrick is also looking to impress NFL scouts. He knows big plays help, but he also trusts in the tutelage of defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach Jay Sawvel. A Minnesota defensive back has been selected in each of the last three NFL Drafts, and undrafted free agent Briean Boddy-Calhoun has also caught on in the league this year.

“He’s the main reason why I’m confident in the process of going to the NFL, because of the guys he put in the league, the guys he groomed, the guys he developed,” Myrick said.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100516aab.html

Go Gophers!!

Myrick has been impressive as a return man, and he clearly has great speed, but I have yet to see much that says he is destined for success in the NFL based on what he has done as a DB.

We need more from Myrick. He hasn't had a very impressive start to the season and desperately need his form to improve.

He's had some moments where he looks like a lock down guy and some major gaffes. Feel like he'll definitely get drafted, just real hard to say when

<b>Myrick has been impressive as a return man, </b> and he clearly has great speed, but I have yet to see much that says he is destined for success in the NFL based on what he has done as a DB.

Funny, I have been thinking just the opposite lately. I haven't looked at any stats - just can't remember thinking "nice" very much since the jNW return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only remember 1 return out past the 25 and that was the very first one of the year. I'm probably forgetting one or two but he hasn't even been impressive as a return man. Myrick needs to pick it up, not sure if his mistakes are just mental or whats going on but he seems to get pretty frustrated and then play worse. Have to move on to the next play and forget about the last. Or he could just stop making mistakes and giving up big plays then he would have nothing to worry about.

In his defense I'll say our defense puts him on an island frequently and against the other teams best receivers if you give the QB time it's almost impossible to cover that guy. A lot of the big plays that have gone his way don't seem to be because of extra QB time, he just seems to be getting beat. Obviously that is just my amateur opinion but I feel pretty strongly about it right now. He has been the biggest disappointment on the team so far this year for me as I was expecting him to step in and play at the Murray/BBC level.

I can only remember 1 return out past the 25 and that was the very first one of the year. I'm probably forgetting one or two but he hasn't even been impressive as a return man. Myrick needs to pick it up, not sure if his mistakes are just mental or whats going on but he seems to get pretty frustrated and then play worse. Have to move on to the next play and forget about the last. Or he could just stop making mistakes and giving up big plays then he would have nothing to worry about.

In his defense I'll say our defense puts him on an island frequently and against the other teams best receivers if you give the QB time it's almost impossible to cover that guy. A lot of the big plays that have gone his way don't seem to be because of extra QB time, he just seems to be getting beat. Obviously that is just my amateur opinion but I feel pretty strongly about it right now. He has been the biggest disappointment on the team so far this year for me as I was expecting him to step in and play at the Murray/BBC level.

We are not a very good at blocking on the return. He has not had very many lanes to hit to move upfield other than the opening kickoff against Oregon State.

Not sure I would say he specifically has been the biggest disappointment on the team (would give that more to the secondary as a whole) but agree that he has not been impressive either. I think you hit on something where he is just not a good enough cover guy to be the top DB. He has flashed when he could match up with a second or third receiver as opposed to being asked to lock down a teams top weapon. I also mentioned him looking good as a return man but maybe that is more of a perception on my part more then reality because looking at the numbers he really hasn't done all that much in the return game either. Maybe with the suspended DB's hopefully getting back in the mix it will take some of the pressure off of Myrick.

He gets a lot of attention but I am not sure he deserves the hype he has been given to this point.

Myrick was ranked as one of the top CB's in the nation prior to his injury last year. Higher than Murray or BBC. This year he's been just "above average". He's had games where he was an absolute lock-down corner and games where he was just "good". The TD he gave up against CSU really wasn't bad coverage at all. It was a really nice pass & catch. I think some of this criticism is the Minnesotan distaste for swagger & braggadocio at work. I personally wish he'd STFU when he's playing, but he's a damn good CB, with elite speed.

He has been disappointing. Some dumb penalties and letting his emotions get out of control.

Funny, I have been thinking just the opposite lately. I haven't looked at any stats - just can't remember thinking "nice" very much since the jNW return.

Agree but it's hard to say if it's his fault or the blocking in front of him.

Myrick was named to PFF's B1G Team of the Week after Iowa loss:

QB: Trace McSorley, Penn State 72.8
WR: Malik Turner, Illinois 84.5; Jehu Chesson, Michigan 72.2
RB: Ty Isaac, Michigan 76.1
TE: George Kittle, Iowa 81.2
OT: Cole Croston, Iowa 81.9; Brendan Mahon, Penn State 77.3
OG: Jordan Roos, Purdue 85.0; Terrance Davis, Maryland 79.0
OC: Pat Elflein, Ohio State 77.1
DI: Kinglsey Opara, Maryland 85.7; Dre’Mont Jones, Ohio State 83.3; Steven Richardson, Minnesota 82.3
ED: Nick Bosa, Ohio State 85.1; Anthony Nelson, Iowa 80.0
LB: Jerome Baker, Ohio State 88.2; Ben Gedeon, Michigan 84.3
CB: John Reid, Penn State 89.5; Jalen Myrick, Minnesota 87.3
S: Jabrill Peppers, Michigan 82.9; Delano Hill, Michigan 81.3

Group of 5 — Coming soon

Top Bottom