MY THREADS GO OVER LIKE A LEAD BALLOON

Reaction score
This one will probably be a dud too, but I can't help myself.

So, it's half-time and we're down 31-3. I can only guess that Coach Kill and the rest of the coaches were telling the players what they needed to do to get back in the game. Of course, making up 28 points is rarely accomplished, but it's not impossible. A couple of big breaks, and we could be back in the game.

To begin the second half, our defense does something they haven't done much all year - they stopped Purdue fairly quickly. We get the ball back on a punt, and then run a really nice play on first down for about 6 or 7 yards. The play is over. The whistle has blown. All of the sudden, out of nowhere and for what appears to be absolutely no reason, Olson (I believe it was Ed) shoves one of the Boilermakers incurring a 15 yard personal foul penalty. The possession is ruined and the little momentum we enjoyed from the defensive stop is gone.

Here is where I'm probably going to lose everyone. I thought that penalty was so bad, so unnecessary, so destructive, so selfish, so unbelievable, that I would've considered throwing Olson off the team or at least benching him for the rest of the season. It boggles my mind how someone could possibly do that in that situation. It caused me to wonder if a coach actually instructed him to do it for some ulterior reason. It seemed that out of place/strange to me. Then, I wondered if Olson possibly has trouble comprehending things or has a problem with "awareness". Unless you demand excellence and refuse to tolerate anything less, you will never achieve excellence. Period.

Am I the only one on here who sees it this way? If so, set me straight and tell me again why I'm just a weirdo.

You put out the possibility of our coaching staff instructing a player to senselessly get a PF penalty on an important drive that represents the best remaining chance (of the .0001% chance of winning that remained) and you ask why people might call you a weirdo? Also you proposed kicking Olson off the team. Hmmmmmmmmmm................nope, can't see why folks would question you.

You put out the possibility of our coaching staff instructing a player to senselessly get a PF penalty on an important drive that represents the best remaining chance (of the .0001% chance of winning that remained) and you ask why people might call you a weirdo? Also you proposed kicking Olson off the team. Hmmmmmmmmmm................nope, can't see why folks would question you.

I know, I know. I'll quietly accept the abuse. I am weird! I'm more wondering whether you found the penalty so outrageous that it deserved an extremely severe punishment.

I know, I know. I'll quietly accept the abuse. I am weird! I'm more wondering whether you found the penalty so outrageous that it deserved an extremely severe punishment.
No more than any other stupid penalty. I mean, all he did was shove the guy. So you run him or whatever the punishment is for that level of offense.

I can see why. In all actuality I would say your threads go over more like a turd in a punch bowl.

I can see why. In all actuality I would say your threads go over more like a turd in a punch bowl.

Point taken. I accept what you say. I have a poor sense of what others think will be interesting to discuss.

Question: do you have any idea why Ed Olson would've done that in that situation? We've all watched a lot of football, and I don't believe I've ever seen anything like that. The guy had his back to Ed. The play was long over. The refs were all standing around. There didn't seem to be any concern whatsoever going on. He walks up and pushes him. He has to know he's going to get a penalty. Is everyone on this board going to write it off to "heat of the moment" or "lost his head". In my opinion, it was too out of the ordinary for that.

Seriously.... "Developmentally disabled, coaching conspiracies, and kicking him off the team." He shoved another player and the ref saw it and then called it. Stupid yes, but it happens on nearly every play. It's an emotional game and Ed made a mistake.

Seriously.... "Developmentally disabled, coaching conspiracies, and kicking him off the team." He shoved another player and the ref saw it and then called it. Stupid yes, but it happens on nearly every play. It's an emotional game and Ed made a mistake.

I'm going to disagree slightly. It was not a mistake. It was not a missed assignment, a dropped ball, jumping off sides. It was not in the midst of a scuffle or to protect his player. The guy was standing away from the action with his back to Olson. Olson walks up and shoves him. When a coach preaches discipline, smart football, team-over-individual, and then your player does that, it seems to me the player represents the exact kind of person Kill wants to run out of his program. This can not be tolerated (ever) if you are going to have a winning program.

I think kicking him off the team is a tad extreme but Im sure Kill ripped him a new a$$hole for that dumb move.

Probably cause its led not lead.

That makes sense (Led Zeppelin), but when I did some research all the information pointed to "Lead", not "Led". Take a look and tell me what you find. In any event, I thought your post was funny.

You mean the penalty when his back was to the play and he shoved the guy while the whistle was blowing?

It was a horsesh*t call. There are lots of things about this team to complain about, but this ain't one of them.

"This can not be tolerated (ever) if you are going to have a winning program. "

I'll have to disagree with you. Personally I would like to see the entire team play with a little more emotion. There is a fine line between playing with intensity and loosing your edge and giving up a dumb personal foul penalty, if we have to experience the latter once in a while to achieve the former I'm all for it. I'm willing to bet that the winningest of all programs has done worse than what Ed did.

No matter how good or bad a coaching staff is, things like that will happen. I'm not trying to make excuses for Kill or anything. But anyone who has played football above junior high knows it's an intense game. Olson probably was frustrated and made a mistake. If I remember correctly, he was taken out of the game immediately and chewed out by Kill. One incident doesn't create a problem. If this is something that Olson does often, then that's a different story.

1. Yes it was a stupid penalty.
2. You don't have a problem with the Marcus Jones shove? If you don't is that because the game was absolutely over by then? Looks like a double standard either way.
3. I'd be willing to bet that the combination of injury, poor start to the year, 31-3 to Purdue probably had a lot to do with it. Who knows, the d end could have been doing a lot of dirty sh!t during the game and Olson finally lost it.
4. I like the fight some of them have been showing. Just wish they were a little sneakier about it. :)

Just because you don't kick someone off the team doesn't mean you are "tolerating" something.

If the game is rebroadcast, watch it again. I rewound it about 5 times. The whistle was STILL BLOWING and his back was to the play that was just finishing. It was a horsesh*t call. It did not cost us the game, it was just a bad call.

He had money on the under

...I thought that penalty was so bad, so unnecessary, so destructive, so selfish, so unbelievable, that I would've considered throwing Olson off the team or at least benching him for the rest of the season...

Jerry Kill certainly could have booted him from the squad...

And what would the result have been?

Answer: All of Minnesota's rivals would have lined up trying to entice Big Ed to transfer to their programs...

Jerry Kill handled it correctly...pull him from the game immediately, tear him a new one in a semi-public setting, then send him back out there with the understanding that another stupid penalty like that one will result in getting acquainted with the TCF Bank Stadium stairs at 5:30am for the next 6 Mondays.

Dinkything, exactly right. If it happens again then more serious steps are taken. Nobody knows what price he paid in practice the next week.

Top Bottom