My thoughts - Melvin Newbern, Arriel McDonald, Bobby Jackson

Anderson8284

Reaction score
(I've been a Gopher Hoops fan since 1970. This was one of the toughest years to ever have to endure....)

That being said, I am reminded how much good teams rely on a reliable experienced point guard. It has been said a lot on this Board, but it still bears repeating. What I am thinking of today is how much the teams I've seen in the past improved with a mature point guard running things. Melvin Newbern in 1989-90 was lights out better than he was when we arrived in 1987. Arriel McDonald was pretty good to start with, but he sure made Voshon Lenard look good sometimes by the time he was a senior. I'm remembering an Indiana game and a Wisconsin game in particular. Bobby Jackson was not a pure point guard, but he could take the point and take over a game at the end. In the 1997 season which never happened, I believe he was responsible for at least four victories in the last 60-75 seconds. Either by making the paly himself, or making the right decision and getting the ball to Sammy or John for a bucket....A guard like that can make such an unbelieveable difference. Smart play, clutch play, avoid turnovers, want the ball with 3 seconds on the shot clock and believe (he) can make that shot! Eric Harris did that some as a senior in the BTT agaisnt Michigan State and in the run to the 2nd NIT Championship.

Point to ponder: Al Nolen had a lot of detractors. fair enough, he wasn't the best guard ever to play here. However, we saw just how much he was missed over the course of at least four games we should have won at the last minute. This year, we did not, alas.... And we do not hear as much from the Al detractors now.

If Julian and Andre can live up to their implied promise, we should be alright. It may take awhile, but at least the team will have options. And suddenly Tubby will be a smart coach again.....

it is interesting reading the gopherholers that say losing Al is what lost us the season and wondering if they are the same gopherholers that used to say how bad he was. Sometimes you don't know what you have until its gone.

back in December when the Gophers were rolling I mentioned to a buddy how excited I was for next year because of the style of play that I expect Andre and Joe to have from the guard position and that while having senior guards in Al and Blake is what can make a good team great I think next years guards will be better. Let's hope I am right.

I agree with you on the point about having a guard that wants the ball and can make the play at the end of the game or shot clock. One player that can make the play or instill the confidence in his teammates to make the play is what cost this team 4-5 wins this year.

(I've been a Gopher Hoops fan since 1970. This was one of the toughest years to ever have to endure....)

That being said, I am reminded how much good teams rely on a reliable experienced point guard. It has been said a lot on this Board, but it still bears repeating. What I am thinking of today is how much the teams I've seen in the past improved with a mature point guard running things. Melvin Newbern in 1989-90 was lights out better than he was when we arrived in 1987. Arriel McDonald was pretty good to start with, but he sure made Voshon Lenard look good sometimes by the time he was a senior. I'm remembering an Indiana game and a Wisconsin game in particular. Bobby Jackson was not a pure point guard, but he could take the point and take over a game at the end. In the 1997 season which never happened, I believe he was responsible for at least four victories in the last 60-75 seconds. Either by making the paly himself, or making the right decision and getting the ball to Sammy or John for a bucket....A guard like that can make such an unbelieveable difference. Smart play, clutch play, avoid turnovers, want the ball with 3 seconds on the shot clock and believe (he) can make that shot! Eric Harris did that some as a senior in the BTT agaisnt Michigan State and in the run to the 2nd NIT Championship.

Point to ponder: Al Nolen had a lot of detractors. fair enough, he wasn't the best guard ever to play here. However, we saw just how much he was missed over the course of at least four games we should have won at the last minute. This year, we did not, alas.... And we do not hear as much from the Al detractors now.

If Julian and Andre can live up to their implied promise, we should be alright. It may take awhile, but at least the team will have options. And suddenly Tubby will be a smart coach again.....[/QUOTE]

Good stuff. Couldn't agree more. Sure, Tubby deserves his fair share of criticism for losing 10 out of 11, but if both Al and Devoe were with us the entire season, it could have taken a much different path for the better. Not having an experienced guard killed us in crunchtime as illustrated in our multiple late-game meltdowns. Here's to hoping the Welch/Hollins combo can change that up.

Top Bottom