My take on the Gopher football team today

I remember more than a few Gopher fans saying win me the Pig and Axe and we will be happy with any coach.
At the time of saying that (2010ish-2020ish), both Wisconsin and Iowa were consistently top 20 teams that were considered contenders for the Big Ten. If we beat both of them it would mean that we had rose to those ranks as well. However, since then both Iowa and Wisconsin have declined. Because of this, even though we can compete with both of them now, it feels more like they have stooped to our level rather than us raising to theirs, which I think is why winning the pig and Axe is no longer the program standard we still hope to have.

As
where is Gopher football Today - with Today being the key word?

I would say Gopher football is at a potential crossroads.

Next year, MN will play in an 18-team B1G with no Divisions. checking the current AP top-25, current or future B1G teams are ranked 2 - 3 - 5 - 6 - 12. If you include other teams receiving votes, then add B1G teams at 26 - 30.

Seven of the top 30 teams in the country will be conference opponents of MN next year.

The Gopher could have a good season by recent standards and still finish 8th or lower in the conference. with no Division title hopes to keep fans interested/engaged.

So what do the Gophers have to play for? qualify for a bowl game and win rivalry games. that's it.

and the ultimate question - is that enough? is a 6-, 7- or 8-win season enough? If the Gophers win 1 of the two big rivalry games, is that enough? I don't know.

But I suspect we will find out just how many true, hard-core Gopher fans exist in this market. and if I'm being cynical, I suspect there will be plenty of good seats available for home games.
i have stated previously, the Gophers need to look around for another league to join. One that has the same NIL money available. As well as same support.from the powers that be. Obviously we will not be paying our coaching staff the same monies as our gate and tv revenue will be greater decreased. But at least the team we run out on the field will be competitive. Mark my words this will eventually happen, so why not start in the near future? I know I will enjoy my Gopher afternoons/evenings on game day more if I know we are playing on level playing field.

As

i have stated previously, the Gophers need to look around for another league to join. One that has the same NIL money available. As well as same support.from the powers that be. Obviously we will not be paying our coaching staff the same monies as our gate and tv revenue will be greater decreased. But at least the team we run out on the field will be competitive. Mark my words this will eventually happen, so why not start in the near future? I know I will enjoy my Gopher afternoons/evenings on game day more if I know we are playing on level playing field.
My immediate reaction was we can't leave the Big Ten, we are so traditionally bound to the Big Ten. Then I thought "does the Big Ten really mean that much anymore?"

Last edited:

💯 to the OP
There may be a time to panic but that isn’t until at least dec 2024

Or - the top 32 teams in FBS break loose from the NCAA and create their own Super League.

that leaves MN in the next tier of College FB -still an FBS program but below the Super League. and MN would still be D1 for basketball and other sports.

the question is how you work out or divide the TV money. How much TV money would go to the Super League and what would be left for the next tier?

that saves MN from having to consider leaving the B1G. I would have to study the B1G by-laws to see if it's even possible for a team to drop out for one sport only.

My immediate reaction was we can't leave the Big Ten, we are so traitionallyboudn to the Big Ten. Then I thought "does the Big Ten really mean that much anymore?"
So long as Minnesota still plays Iowa and Wisconsin every year, it means a ton. When that goes away it loses all meaning.
If that could go with the gophers to another league, that would be fine too

Or you keep all the historical conferences as they should’ve always stayed — for basketball and other non-football/hockey sports, back before all the consolidations that are purely driven by football TV money — and let football have their own conferences, divisions, etc.

Or - the top 32 teams in FBS break loose from the NCAA and create their own Super League.

that leaves MN in the next tier of College FB -still an FBS program but below the Super League. and MN would still be D1 for basketball and other sports.

the question is how you work out or divide the TV money. How much TV money would go to the Super League and what would be left for the next tier?

that saves MN from having to consider leaving the B1G. I would have to study the B1G by-laws to see if it's even possible for a team to drop out for one sport only.
Doesn't work to do something like this because someone has to lose the games played. You create a Super League that quickly moves back to the mean. There will be a handful of elite teams, a small group just behind them, a big group in the middle, and a small group of teams always at the bottom.

At the time of saying that (2010ish-2020ish), both Wisconsin and Iowa were consistently top 20 teams that were considered contenders for the Big Ten. If we beat both of them it would mean that we had rose to those ranks as well. However, since then both Iowa and Wisconsin have declined. Because of this, even though we can compete with both of them now, it feels more like they have stooped to our level rather than us raising to theirs, which I think is why winning the pig and Axe is no longer the program standard we still hope to have.
Well said..

I don’t really know what to think about all this stuff regarding the future of college football but I think I do know that if we hadn’t played like ass in the second half of the NW and Illinois games, rolled over and played dead against NC and Michigan and got blown out by a not very good Purdue team we really wouldn’t be having any of these conversations right now. It feels a bit diversionary. Glass half full let’s give Ohio State everything they can handle, beat Wisconsin and then whatever shitty bowl we go just consider it extra practice for our young guys.

Even playing our absolute best game, we would still lose to Michigan and Ohio State by 20. And you could throw Penn State and USC and Washington and Oregon and UCLA into the same pot. We just don’t/can’t recruit the athletes needed to be competitive regardless who is coaching.

I don’t really know what to think about all this stuff regarding the future of college football but I think I do know that if we hadn’t played like ass in the second half of the NW and Illinois games, rolled over and played dead against NC and Michigan and got blown out by a not very good Purdue team we really wouldn’t be having any of these conversations right now. It feels a bit diversionary. Glass half full let’s give Ohio State everything they can handle, beat Wisconsin and then whatever shitty bowl we go just consider it extra practice for our young guys.
We played like ass in those games because we're not good this year. Full stop. That's why we're having these conversations.

People keep saying we're missing out on a chance to win a bad West Division, but we're part of the bad. We're not one or two plays away; this is how bad teams lose games. We lost by 42 to Michigan and might lose by 50 this week. We gave up 49 points to a 2-7 team. I thought those days were behind us, but they're back for the first time in a decade.

My immediate reaction was we can't leave the Big Ten, we are so traditionally bound to the Big Ten. Then I thought "does the Big Ten really mean that much anymore?"

When it comes to finances it means everything. And college football is all about money.

Bottom line...we can't afford to fire PJ.
Should we? Seems like a dumb idea.
Beat Wisconsin, win the bowl game.
Get to a bowl game again next year and beat Iowa and Wisconsin again next year.
That may be the ceiling with the schedule and the state of things for next year.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. It’s gut-check time. Both the players and coaches have to step up and employ a great work ethic. Taking care of the football is job one if we’re to take it to the next level.
Our backs are against the wall, but this team knows what it takes to win. Players need to put on their game faces and come together as a team, get on the same page, give it 110 percent and take it one game at a time.
And we need to generate some offense along with an unyielding defense and play within ourselves. At the end of the day, football is a game of inches.
If our offense can perform like it did against MSU and get us like 25 points and the defense play like they are playing Iowa and hold them to like 16. We have one helluva shot to pull this one out with a D.K. field goal as time runs out!

We played like ass in those games because we're not good this year. Full stop. That's why we're having these conversations.

People keep saying we're missing out on a chance to win a bad West Division, but we're part of the bad. We're not one or two plays away; this is how bad teams lose games. We lost by 42 to Michigan and might lose by 50 this week. We gave up 49 points to a 2-7 team. I thought those days were behind us, but they're back for the first time in a decade.
There have been plenty of other times in the last decade we’ve been that bad

My friend's dad always said by mid- 40's we wouldn't care as much about all the teams in town. He was right, but I can't let the Gophers go. They are my University and Team.
I haven't lived in Minn since 1984 and never attended the U. I don't know who's the Vikings or Twins head coach/manager are, could not name one T'Wolve or Wild player, but can't let go of Gopher football. I ask myself "why?" But am pretty sure that its a terminal condition. Go Gophers!

Last edited:

There have been plenty of other times in the last decade we’ve been that bad
Plenty? No. Fleck's first season and half were bad, but aside from that we haven't been humiliated going back to 2013.

I can handle a down season. I just wish we knew if it'll be better next year.

Top Bottom