My Take on the Game

ncgo4

Reaction score
Defense - Our defense was very good today. Our offense kept the Penn State offense on the field for 58 of the 60 minutes (seemed like it didn't it?) and yet we held them to 20 points. If on Friday I had promised 20 points by PSU everyone would have taken it. 3rd down play was bad because, it seems, we just play too far off the receivers. Is that because Cosgrove is stupid or because he knows we can't cover deep? Defense isn't a style points deal it's a how many points did you give up deal. Bottom line 20pts was not bad at all and in my mind was by the one true measure a very passing grade.

Offense - It stunk. The worse an offense can do is score 0 points and give up negative points with fumbles and interceptions returned for touchdowns. We weren't negative. Hardly a compliment. The most obvious problem was our inability to run and the terrible passing. Our offensive line isn't real good on the run and couldn't open holes against a PSU D line and linebacker corps that was mostly healthy for the first time this year.

This brings us to our QB. He stunk today, plain and simple. He was inaccurate and he threw into double coverage and not just to Decker. He did it to everyone. While the O line couldn't open holes they generally gave Weber good time to throw. He just couldn't do it. Why? I don't know. I do know that the first thing our new OC did when he came in was change Weber's throwing motion. When that happens in baseball with a pitcher it often takes a year or more for them to get back on track.

Team - overall this has been a pretty good year. We have beaten every team we should have beaten and have had chances against all the others (save yesterday). The test will come in the 3 weeks following OSU. We clearly have issues in some positions and are recruiting to fill these holes.

Brewster and Fisch were hired as works in progress, neither having prior experience in their roles. We've seen huge progress in Brewster's performance, in my opinion, and I expect we'll see the same in Fisch next year. The good news? We know for a fact that no one will be trying to hire either one of them away from us so we should have some stability in the coaching staff next year. I just hope we can keep Cross and Lee. They seem to be the recruiting keys along with Brewster.

Good points. Few expected the Gophers to beat California or Penn State (or Ohio State or Iowa). The test is whether the Gophers can beat MSU, Illinois and S.D. State. If they can, they will finish 7-5 with one of the toughest schedules in years. The defense is much improved - the offense is unacceptable for the third year of a new program - we are at the bottom of the Big 11 in most offensive stats and still haven't recruited a big, fast running back. Weber is okay at best and Gray - who knows? - maybe the coaches have issues with him re his arm fumbles, whatever. Two years were wasted on the wrong offensive philosophy so maybe it will be a year or two before this one jells.

Coaching stability here a lock for the next several...

years since these guys will be working hard to renew contracts and prove to the U/GN/"coaching world" that they are not just "wanna be's".

I disagree about the defensive effort. Yes, it was good considering the amount of time they were on the field but you can only blame so much of that on the offense. The offense was awful. No question. I still think that the defense could have helped out themselves and the offense if they could have made some 3rd down stops. Penn State converted around 60% of their third downs. That is not a winning effort. That keeps the defense on the field and our offense off. Nobody to blame for that. On top of that, Penn State probably SHOULD have scored more points. Their quarterback missed several opportunities. At least one easy touchdown pass that was overthrown.

All in all, this was an awful game to watch. Offense couldn't move. Defense allowed Penn State to put together long drives everytime they had the ball. Many things to fix if we have any chance next week. This is the first time this year that I am very worried about how the season will turn out. That game left me pretty demoralized.

Top Bottom