My Sunday Thoughts

GopherHomer

Am I Though?
Reaction score
I was at the game yesterday, and my first thoughts afterward were "I am done." Luckily, those thoughts were just fueled by drunken machismo. In reality, I will never give up on the Gophers. Someday, when we FINALLY turn this thing around (with or without Brewster) these dark times will make the success all the more sweet. I have long been a Brewster supporter, and while I am not going to call for his head quite yet like many others, I would for the first time support a change if that is what the people in charge think is good for the program. While this loss leaves me with little confidence that things will improve this season, if we come out and win 4 Big 10 ten games or so, this loss will mean very little at the end of the year. If this game was simply a horrible effort from our squad, and not indicative of the program as a whole, the season/current direction of the program can still be salvaged. We are going to have to suffer the slings and arrows of all the Gopher haters out there, because they just received an early Christmas present from South Dakota, but we cannot let them bury our spirit. The Gopher program will always exist and true fans need to stick with the team. I feel better already...

I was a Brewster supporter until yesterday. You can not lose games to FCS opponents. It is inexcusable. I like Brewster as a person, but as a fb coach I think he has demonstrated that he is in over his head. I wish him all the best in the future, but when you are getting paid $1 million a year you MUST win games against cream puff opponents, especially in your 3rd year. There is something very wrong with this program right now and I do not think that Brewster can fix. If we go on an win 4 BT games, peoples' harsh opinions of Brewster may soften, but I do not see that happening.

+1

I'm still going to the games and supporting the team, but unless they really turns it around I think Brewster needs to be replaced. It's year 4 and we're still struggling only now it's with the players Brewster recruited. The only thing I can think of is the inmates are running the asylum and the team isn't taking the coaches seriously. Therefore new coaches are need.

This was a coaching loss. We were not ready. We're a pretty high level of football to have this type of a lack of preparedness.

There is only one way for redemption for this staff and group of players. If they want to hold this program together they better rally and play like an elite squad every second of every play. Or they'll only have themselves to blame. The have the talent. They are not out matched in skill. They were outplayed. Lesser athletes played with more intensity and greater effort and execution. They should all spend alot of time in front of a mirror.

GopherHomer: It's possible to support the program... and have issues w/ the coach. The two don't go hand-in-hand.

Make no mistake, I am a Gopher fan and alum. I will always root for the Gophers. Unfortunately, I think we are doomed to be the equivalent of Cub fans. It just drives me crazy that other pitiful programs can turn it around (see Oregon State, Kansas State, Northwestern, and even Rutgers) and we never can. Someone called this program the embodiment of Murphy's Law, and I have to agree.

GopherHomer: It's possible to support the program... and have issues w/ the coach. The two don't go hand-in-hand.

I haven't given up on the Gophers for 40 years and I am not going to start now. But the problems with Gopher football go way beyond the head coach. Brewster is just a symptom of what ails the program and not the cause. There is plenty of evidence that whoever follows Brewster will either fail miserably or will be hired away by a more successful program. The same goes for the AD. No AD with a successful track record at a Division I school will ever consider coming to the U. The solution is going to have to start with the governor and state legislature who need to treat the U for what it is - one of Minnesota's greatest resources. Until that happens the U's football program is going nowhere.

Up against the wall

I do expect a much better effort against USC. They are not the "old" USC of championship years and Brewster has to believe that this is his "Last stand" to show us that his team can play. Can there be anyone more talented that M. Gray on this team? Put him in the defensive backfield too!!!!

I do expect a much better effort against USC. They are not the "old" USC of championship years and Brewster has to believe that this is his "Last stand" to show us that his team can play. Can there be anyone more talented that M. Gray on this team? Put him in the defensive backfield too!!!!

Let's be clear. The USC offense is every bit as potent as those great USC teams. Our deficiency is defense, most notably the secondary. We will get lit up by a great offensive team. Let's not paint USC as mediocre.

They aren't as strong defensively. victory will have to come from the offensive side of the ball.

Somehow I don't see us scoring fifty against them. And I'm not sure that would be enough.

Doogie: I agree...I think you are reading something into my post that isn't there.

Let's be clear. The USC offense is every bit as potent as those great USC teams. Our deficiency is defense, most notably the secondary. We will get lit up by a great offensive team. Let's not paint USC as mediocre.

They aren't as strong defensively. victory will have to come from the offensive side of the ball.

Somehow I don't see us scoring fifty against them. And I'm not sure that would be enough.

I can't believe what I saw yesterday at TCF. The Defense was putrid. The US/Virginia game last night though, showed that USC isn't a great Offensive team by any means.

That unfortunately, doesn't mean that the Gophers won't et lit up Saturday.

Top Bottom