My special teams player of the year…

Punting was just ok but everything else was better. Would like Trickett to get back to his Kent St. form.
Crawford was pretty good for us.

Of his punts, half of them(22) landed inside the 20 and he only had 1 touchback. That's absurd. Because he had so few touchbacks, he had a net of 40.6 yards (41.6 average).

For a point of reference, Bryce Baringer (All Big 10 Punter), had 19 punts land inside the 20 and he had 8 touchbacks. So while Baringer had an average much higher than Crawford (48 yards), his net was 43.5.

This hasn't been fleshed out entirely, but there is a lot of interesting discussion about what is really more important with punters. . . average per punt, net, or Inside 20/touchback.

Crawford was pretty good for us.

Of his punts, half of them(22) landed inside the 20 and he only had 1 touchback. That's absurd. Because he had so few touchbacks, he had a net of 40.6 yards (41.6 average).

For a point of reference, Bryce Baringer (All Big 10 Punter), had 19 punts land inside the 20 and he had 8 touchbacks. So while Baringer had an average much higher than Crawford (48 yards), his net was 43.5.

This hasn't been fleshed out entirely, but there is a lot of interesting discussion about what is really more important with punters. . . average per punt, net, or Inside 20/touchback.
Crawford is good with the inside the 20 but it just seemed rare he ever boomed one.

is Dragon Kesich. Basically eliminated kick returns all season long. We lost the only game he didn’t play. Is from wisconsin and wisely left that crap state. Is left footed which I like.

He murders the football off the tee. He is a weapon.
Love the guy. Brush up on field goal kicking and have a real shot for all of the kicking duties

Punting was just ok but everything else was better. Would like Trickett to get back to his Kent St. form.
Kicking is never in a bubble. His form covered his situations. Love is kickers. Hardest position in football.

Crawford is good with the inside the 20 but it just seemed rare he ever boomed one.
This isn't to make excuses, but I think this is by design.

I think it's clear that Fleck has an aversion to letting special teams hurt him. We can all make arguments one way or another as to if we agree with him.

With the return game, he really seems to put a premium on ball security over returns. This has been hashed out here.

With the kicking game, he seems really devoted to eliminating returns at all costs. Because of how kickoffs are now, a lot of teams go for really high kickoffs that land at like the 3 in hopes of enticing a return. Not Fleck, he wants us booming it through the back of the endzone. I think this is the same with punting.

It's kind of the Tressel ball version of special teams. We sacrifice the chance of a big play on special teams return/kicking to help eliminate the risk of our special teams costing us points.

Special teams is like 100x better this year.
Kick off and punt teams about as good as it gets and way better from last year. Field goals, Extra points... Meh.... Punt return and kick return played safe as safe gets hard to judge how good they are, philosophy seems to be never try to return and on punts don't take any chances to catch a ball even if it might save you a dozen yards.

Top Bottom