My Rotation Next Year

jmag21

Reaction score
I posted this on another site, but thought I would get your thoughts. I tried to go through and evaluate what the team will look like next year.

Starters -
Nolen - He was very, very good early in the year, and totally lost it. I still think Tubby will go with him because of his experience. Plus, his defense is usually top-notch, and when he's penetrating, he can be a very effective floor leader. It all depends on where his head's at, and whether he can get some sort of jumper working.

Westbrook - I think by the end of the year, Westbrook isn't starting. He disappears too much, looked uninterested in D for stretches, and can force. But he's the only one on the team who really looks for his own shot, and he can get hot.

Johnson - He'll be defensive player of the year next year, and it's a shame he didn't get it this year. Towards the end of last year he was developing a jumper, and was driving to the goal with authority. I think he'll be a big part of the success of the team.

Mbakwe - People forget, this kid started for Marquette. He's going to be huge for our team. A ferocious rebounder and defender who will provide the physicality we by and large lacked last year.

Sampson - I go with Sampson here, but I could see Iverson stepping up. Sampson's offensive play was great last year. I just wish he could start knocking down a 15 footer or two. Plus, his defense was great. If he gains some weight, he'll be a force next year.

Rotation, In order off the bench -

Joseph - I think Devoe is our 6th man, and I expect very big things. He was a bit erratic at times, but his offensive gifts are undeniable. When he didn't have to worry about the point, he was dynamite. Plus, his defense should improve as he works on footwork.

Hoffarber - I'm not really a fan of how his shooting devolved, but Tubby loves him for his intelligent play and his hustle. If his shooting touch returns, he could be just what the Gophers need.

Iverson - I really liked what this kid brought. He's tough, he's a bit mean, and he got a lot of rebounds. Now he needs to gain weight and work on some hand-eye and footwork. I see a lot of promise, but he's still getting used to his body.

White - I think White will spell DJ and Mbakwe. He'll be good. I've heard his offensive game is better than Humphries was, according to his former coach. However, given Tubby's emphasis on D, I think White doesn't start.

Carter - mostly brought in as a disruptive defensive presence. See above.

Cobbs - brought in to spell Nolen in limited minutes. I've heard some great things about him. Sounds like he has some offense, and may be the best defensive point in Cali. But it takes a long time to become a good point guard in the big ten.

Bostick - If he's still here, he's the wild card. He could look great, but he never looked that quick to me last year. If he got hot shooting, he could be excellent, but I just don't see it, I'm afraid.

Williams - I think this kid will be something special, but he's way too raw. He'll be used like Carter was this year. His minutes will be a reward for his hustle and tenacious D, and I think he'll throw down some sweet dunks in non-conference, but the big ten eats skinny high jumpers for dinner.

Busch - doesn't play much, hopefully. He was okay, and he could hit the mid-range J, but hopefully others step up.

Payton - great cheerleader.

Allen - Man, I'd love it if this guy contributed. He looks good, I'm just not sure how much he'll be allowed to play. I know Brew said he didn't have a problem with it, but I'm not sure how doing two things at once is possible.

I think your starting five looks good. You say Westbrook won't be starting by the end of the year but don't give an indication of who will be in his place? I think he stays in the lineup unless Bostick somehow becomes a consistent scoring threat.

I think White will get 20 minutes per game.

It sure will be crowded! You also forgot about Bryant Allen.

Good post jmag. I think I agree with your starting 5. I think White is the first big off the bench and Hoff is the first guard off the bench.

I really want Rodney to redshirt unless he can get at least 10-12 minutes per game in the Big Ten.

I did, so I updated the post. I think Westbrook will be replaced at some point by Joseph. Or at least, that's what I hope will happen. Given the difference in experience, maybe it's too much to expect, but I'd like to see more of Nolen and Joseph together.

basketball players dont typically redshirt really unless for medical reasons

I would guess that walk on Dominique Dawson, unless he turns out to be a diamond in the rough, is way down the bench next year.

I'd put Joseph starting of either Nolen or Westbrook. The inconsistency shown from those two throughout the year is not something you like to see from a starter. From what I could tell, Devoe brought it every game and really just has to work on one thing (ball handling/limiting turnovers).

I'm as big a Devoe fan as anybody, but he's got a lot more than one thing to work on. He certainly worked hard, and played very well, but his offense had a tendency to disappear, he sometimes had a tendency to force shots, and his defense could verge on the horrible, because of his poor footwork. And, I'd rather keep Devoe at off-guard. Plus, I think Tubby likes experience, so Nolen and Westbrook will probably start the majority of the year.

At the start of last year I said that the projected starters had only one (Westbrook) decent (not great) shooter & scorer and that would hurt. I was correct.

I also said that the best lineup would have two of Hoffarber, Joseph and/or Bostick. Incorrect.

Anyway, here's what I think:

Nolen - He was very, very good early in the year, and totally lost it. I still think Tubby will go with him because of his experience. Plus, his defense is usually top-notch, and when he's penetrating, he can be a very effective floor leader. It all depends on where his head's at, and whether he can get some sort of jumper working.
I disagree that he was very,very good early. I started early in the non-conference saying his defense was way overrated and he wasn't setting up the offense well at all. I think Al started believing just how good so many people said he was and didn't prepare as well as he could for the season. I hope that changes. On offense, Al...stop all the dribbling and pass the ball to someone who can do something with it ... and that includes feeding the post.

Westbrook - I think by the end of the year, Westbrook isn't starting. He disappears too much, looked uninterested in D for stretches, and can force. But he's the only one on the team who really looks for his own shot, and he can get hot.
He disappeared to much? IIRC, there were four other guys on the floor who didn't show up at all on the offensive end. In the end, LW was the only guy on the team with the balls to take the big shots.

Johnson - He'll be defensive player of the year next year, and it's a shame he didn't get it this year. Towards the end of last year he was developing a jumper, and was driving to the goal with authority. I think he'll be a big part of the success of the team.
I agree with the defense part, but I certainly don't remember him developing a jumper. The two sides of my brain are really arguing over DJ. Best defender in the Big Ten but he doesn't really have a position he fits into. Not strong enough to hold inside position against many Big Ten PFs, and with no perimeter shot and being a below average ballhandler he's less than ideal at SF. I have an inkling that one of the Gophers two best players this year is not as good as two incoming recruits (Mbakwe & White). There's just a little voice that tells me that the Gophers may be better with DJ coming off the bench, unless he finds a mid-range shot somewhere.

Mbakwe - People forget, this kid started for Marquette. He's going to be huge for our team. A ferocious rebounder and defender who will provide the physicality we by and large lacked last year.
Did he start a game or two? He played 11 averaging 9.2 minutes. Tubby really seems happy to have him on board. A much more athletic version of J'son Stamper?

Sampson - I go with Sampson here, but I could see Iverson stepping up. Sampson's offensive play was great last year. I just wish he could start knocking down a 15 footer or two. Plus, his defense was great. If he gains some weight, he'll be a force next year.
This is the position that could provide some extra scoring, if someone makes an effort (Al?, Devoe?) to get the ball to them in scoring position. Who starts at PG may be determined by who feeds the post early and throughout the game. BTW, I absolutely agree with the 15-footer statement and I think he will. I think Iverson posts up a bit stronger though.

Hoffarber needs to find his shot.
Why do I still hold out a smidgen of hope for Devron Bostick?
I'd like to see Devoe Joseph be more agressive looking for the pull-up mid-range jumper.

I did, so I updated the post. I think Westbrook will be replaced at some point by Joseph. Or at least, that's what I hope will happen. Given the difference in experience, maybe it's too much to expect, but I'd like to see more of Nolen and Joseph together.

I agree with your starters, at least in the pre BT season. I also hope Joseph will be able to take over for Westbrook since this is Westbrook's last year. Another choice for the 2 spot may be Bostick because there will be less need for him at the 3 spot and he would add size there.

I hope White gets more time as the year goes on. The big question is " can he shoot ". If he can he would be great in the 3 spot. If not then he may spend his time sharing th PF with Mbakwe. Man I hope he can hit that mid-range jumper consistantly.

Westbrook's inconsistency was vexing. I think of him as a studly scoring machine, but he too rarely lives up to my hype. I'll drink to a dynamite senior season. I would compare him to Michael Thompson of Northwestern in terms of ability and impact, but Thompson was more consistent and reliable in my opinion.

Bostick is vexing, too. I disagree about quickness - at times he looked amazingly quick for his size. There were a couple situations where he got himself to the basket so fast, it was like he dematerialized on the arc and rematerialized in the lane. He and Johnson have the ability to do that much more often, almost at will. Unfortunately they flashed that ability too seldom last year.

What to say about Hoff. I think of him as being a microcosm of the team conundrum. People inaccurately complained that this team couldn't shoot. Well, to me, this is a team that CAN shoot well, the problem is whether they DO shoot well, particularly at key moments. It's the larger question of consistency and doing what you're capable of as a team. What you need for success is players that can make plays - and then they actually have to make them. You need both.

Busch is smart and skilled. He knows how the game is played. He will make some big plays and big shots for this team - if he remains with the team. Here's hoping for it.

i dont know about you guys, but I am not going to be to tough on a very young team that took us to the tournament. I think Johnson improved a ton down the stretch. I know westbrook takes shots when no one else wants to, but how does that balance out him driving with 25 seconds on the shotclock and throwing up a circus shot. and i got to disagree with you mikie i thought we played best when nolan established himself driving to the hoop. It was when he started pssing up open shots because he was really struggling shooting wise. I think the key to our whole offense is nolan, when he is on a la louisville we are damn good, and i think he will improve this summer

I'd like to see small improvements from the whole lot, and I think that will go a long way. Hopefully someone will step up to be a go to scorer, and I think we'll be ok. I'd like to see Nolen do the drill where you have to make layups while the assistant coaches swing tackling dummies at you. Anybody remember that drill?? We need him to be able to finish in traffic, then he'll be able to pass a lot more effectively in those situations as well.

This past season folks were second-guessing Tubby for his use of so many players and the amount of minutes those players got. I'll project that the amount of second-guessing will increase.

Mbakwe should make fairly quick work of making his way into the lineup I'd think and probably at Iverson's expense. I haven't seen enough of White or Williams to get a feel for how much they'll contribute next year and Cobbs is an even more mysterious factor. But I'd think that Tubby will have to shoe-horn those three into the rotation somewhere, somehow.

As to Allen, I think it takes a pretty unique student-athlete to play two major sports and keep their head afloat on the academics. I suspect he'll end up concentrating on football but that's based mostly on opinion and nothing really factual.

And finally, I think Dawkins will either be at the very end of the bench or there's going to be a lot of pretty embarrassed collegiate coaches. A walk-on in this recruiting class breaking into the top-10 rotation would be pretty hard to believe. But I suspect there's a fair number who'd like to be believers.

I think Joseph's role may change a little from this year where he was relied on to be the back up point guard. I don't see that as his future with Cobbs and Allen coming into the mix.

I think Nolen will be just fine if we can get some of the other guys to look to score a little bit more. Our outside shooting MUST improve and i am sure it will. These guys were a young squad this year.

I am a huge fan of Carter and I think his early injury hurt his development, but I love his athleticism. Two more years with this kid.

I'm a bit confused with Bostick. One game he would be hot, the next he would barely see the court.

Busch.....the kid plays hard every second, and he actually is a pretty darn good player. As terrible as it sounds he was our best post player last year. Iverson and Sampson do not really understand how to post someone up quite yet.

Hoffarber - I'm not really a fan of how his shooting devolved, but Tubby loves him for his intelligent play and his hustle. If his shooting touch returns, he could be just what the Gophers need.

With the depth the gophs will have next year, he won't see alot of pg play. Some but not nearly as much as last year. If his shooting doesn't improve he won't get the minutes. He will compete with Westbrook, Joseph, and Bostick for playing time. If he starts shooting like he did as a Freshman then watch out.

Top Bottom