My experience at the Barn

I have a novel idea as to how to bring excitement to Williams Arena. How about a basketball team that wins all the games it is supposed to and some of the games they aren't.

The atmosphere against Michigan was killed because of the refs. I swear they blew a whistle for something every time down the court for the first 5 minutes after the half. No flow and with no flow, the crowd cannot get into it.

Obviously we need the play better but think about it. We are a better team when there is a flow and not a half court team. The combo of no Nolen and the refs killed us.

Well, the following fell on deaf ears a few weeks back when I mentioned it, but......they are going to reconfigure all seating for the 2012-2013 season. This is a fact. If anyone here would like their ideas considered, right now would be the best time to submit them, to get organized and get someone to listen to you. I'm a hypocrite of sorts, because I'm not going to lead it - it isn't high enough on my priority list. But I'm sure some do care about it a lot and are capable of taking action. Who's up for it? Do something. Or when, in 2012-2013 and beyond The Barn atmosphere destruction is complete and the whole thing has been fully corpratized, don't complain.........

GL, if Deb Diamond isn't the right person to direct this stuff to, who is? Anyone?? Bueller?

Actually, I heard the reseating is slated for the 2011-2012 season. They are doing a similar process that was done with TCF. A lot of the seats that are located near mid court are held by long-time ticket holders who aren't required to pay seat fees. They will have the rights to keep their seats and pay the add on or relocate to another section of the Barn. I had a chance to get four more seats this year near mid court and was told this so I decided to take my additional seats near the corner where the fees won't be as harsh. I don't think this will make a difference as far as atmosphere in the barn unless some of the older folk decide to give up their seats. That would probably put younger fans in the stands and thus create a more lively atmosphere.If you want to blame someone or some party for being responsible for a lackluster atmosphere blame the NCAA and television. Required TV timeouts have been on the rise since the early 90's.

Refs dont dictate atmosphere

The atmosphere against Michigan was killed because of the refs. I swear they blew a whistle for something every time down the court for the first 5 minutes after the half. No flow and with no flow, the crowd cannot get into it.

Obviously we need the play better but think about it. We are a better team when there is a flow and not a half court team. The combo of no Nolen and the refs killed us.

There are refs and whistles at other venues and the atmosphere doesnt suffer. Enough excuses - all we heard was that Tubby would restore the Barn luster. It hasnt happened - in fact, Michigan game was as bad as I have seen in 20 years of season tickets.

in fact, Michigan game was as bad as I have seen in 20 years of season tickets.
You must've missed some games at the end of Monson's tenure then. The Michigan game last week was still an official sellout.

The Clemson game under Monson had less than 3k people there.

You must've missed some games at the end of Monson's tenure then. The Michigan game last week was still an official sellout.

I was at the Clemson game and remember it well. There were much more than 3K people there though, but still a classic moment in Gopher B-Ball. We were out rebounded at one point 40-9. Most of the fans in our section were laughing at how poorly the Gophs were playing (which was common during the games prior to this). It was like a bad side show at the circus. During one timeout Monson grabbed Tollackson and demonstrated with him how to box out with the rest of the team watching (one of the funniest things I"ve seen in attending sporting contests). It was clearly the recent low in Gopher B-ball during the past 10 years and fitting that Monson was fired the next day.

There are refs and whistles at other venues and the atmosphere doesnt suffer. Enough excuses - all we heard was that Tubby would restore the Barn luster. It hasnt happened - in fact, Michigan game was as bad as I have seen in 20 years of season tickets.

Not an excuse for why we lost but it played a huge factor with the atmosphere

Actually no showin

I have been at nearly every home game for the last 20 seasons. And there were far more than 3000 fans at the Clemson game.

The end of the previous regime was a tough time. However, this regime has really not delivered as this fan would have expected.

For 2.5 large per year, the impact has been minimal thus far.

Top Bottom