My email to GopherSports

look, firing the OC changes nothing if the Head Coach is still micro-managing the offense and keeping his thumb on the scale.

this is Fleck's team. he provides the operating philosophy on offense and defense. and it certainly appears as if he gives the DC a little more latitude in developing schemes and systems, because that is not his area of expertise.

but Fleck - a former WR - is an offensive guy and I don't think he allows his OC the same level of freedom in designing or executing a game plan.

even if Fleck went out and hired some innovative offensive mind, is Fleck really going to allow that person to have free reign? Nope. there is nothing in his track record to suggest that.

You can fine the OC every week. the Head Coach is still going to be there on the headset telling the OC to play it safe.
Then why was the offense so much better under Ciarrocca? If Fleck doesn’t have a considerably better offense next year he needs to be let go. The U can find better than his performance last year and this year.

Then why was the offense so much better under Ciarrocca? If Fleck doesn’t have a considerably better offense next year he needs to be let go. The U can find better than his performance last year and this year.
Morgan at his peak, TJ, Bateman, OL with five year starters – – – that was 20 19 otherwise KC wasn’t appreciably better.

Arminius, the Gopher OC is Varus.

Nicely played GPG. Even I had to go look up Varus.

To GHers, Varus was a Roman general and his, "most notable and infamous role was as the governor of Germania, where he attempted to Romanize the region. However, in AD 9, Varus was ambushed by a coalition of Germanic tribes led by Arminius in the Teutoburg Forest. This ambush resulted in the loss of three Roman legions and marked a significant halt to Roman expansion into Germania. Varus committed suicide during the battle to avoid capture."

Fleck is getting paid 6 million dollars to put an offense like that on the field 3 of the last 4 years. Here's what's going to happen, Fleck is going to have to fire Harbaugh by the end of the season, if not sooner. If Fleck does not make a Ciarrocca type caliber hire the heat will be extremely high for Fleck to be booted or take a 40% pay cut. This is Fleck's last season of security. Interest in the program is going to plummet, as it should. If Fleck doesn't get back to what he was prior to 2020 bring in someone who reflects the culture of MN better. No nonsense, tough and a smart football coach. Someone like a Lance Leipold. That NC team is not very good and MN lost to them at home.
We don’t need a coach to reflect the “culture of MN”, we need the fanbase to not constantly rip on anyone who isn’t Bud Grant reincarnate.

Morgan at his peak, TJ, Bateman, OL with five year starters – – – that was 20 19 otherwise KC wasn’t appreciably better.

This is true. KC's offenses with the Gophs in his four years averaged almost exactly the same as Sanford's two years. Hard to believe. Harbaugh/Simon might not be the answer in the long run, but it's not like KC was the magic man. This year should be a litmus test for Harbaugh/Simon with a better QB and (hopefully) healthier running backs.

We don’t need a coach to reflect the “culture of MN”, we need the fanbase to not constantly rip on anyone who isn’t Bud Grant reincarnate.
This. I don't care about "culture of Minnesota." For the vast majority of my life, that's meant losing football. I want wins.

Top Bottom