My email to GopherSports

Arminius

Reaction score
Gm Gopher Sports,

Please let Gopher AD Mark Coyle know that he needs to do an Iowa and terminate the Gopher FB Offensive Coordinator.

And I do not write this with joy or glee or even anger...just with disappointment.

You're losing the support and enthusiasm of GopherHole posters and when you lose them, the most rabid defenders of PJFleck, whom I like and think is a pretty good coach...when you lose GHers, well you've lost the bandwagon fans too.

Thank you,
Arminius in New Ulm

Gm Gopher Sports,

Please let Gopher AD Mark Coyle know that he needs to do an Iowa and terminate the Gopher FB Offensive Coordinator.

And I do not write this with joy or glee or even anger...just with disappointment.

You're losing the support and enthusiasm of GopherHole posters and when you lose them, the most rabid defenders of PJFleck, whom I like and think is a pretty good coach...when you lose GHers, well you've lost the bandwagon fans too.

Thank you,
Arminius in New Ulm
I guess my question to you is Fleck has been the constant, so why would Coyle do that? The offense has looked basically the same over that time, with 2019 now sticking out like a huge outlier.

The common thread over the years is the head coach’s tendency to sit on single score leads, waste opportunities, turtle up. That’s a dangerous game. They need near perfect execution on offense to sustain drives, haven’t recruited well to facilitate explosive plays. Related issues.

I guess my question to you is Fleck has been the constant, so why would Coyle do that? The offense has looked basically the same over that time, with 2019 now sticking out like a huge outlier.

I don't disagree but Coyle is not going to fire PJF. Most of us agreed a couple of months in an earlier post about "What Coaches are on the Hot Seat?" that PJ has two more sub-6 win seasons before Coyle makes a move. You send a message to PJ, "What you're doing on offense ain't working and the fans ain't buying it anymore..."

I don't disagree but Coyle is not going to fire PJF. Most of us agreed a couple of months in an earlier post about "What Coaches are on the Hot Seat?" that PJ has two more sub-6 win seasons before Coyle makes a move. You send a message to PJ, "What you're doing on offense ain't working and the fans ain't buying it anymore..."
Fleck has changed OCs but things have not really changed. 117 yards throught 3 quarters of play against a team that is probably a 7-5 ACC team. I think that would be hard to do if you were trying to do it.

Gm Gopher Sports,

Thank you,
Arminius in New Ulm
I know it will do nothing, but I also emailed Gophersports urging them to invest the $$ needed to attract recruits and coaching.

This is colossally incorrect, the offense has looked way worse under Sanford and Harbaugh. It's atrocious and ranked near the last of 130 teams. Ciarrocca is a night and day better OC.

Fleck is getting paid 6 million dollars to put an offense like that on the field 3 of the last 4 years. Here's what's going to happen, Fleck is going to have to fire Harbaugh by the end of the season, if not sooner. If Fleck does not make a Ciarrocca type caliber hire the heat will be extremely high for Fleck to be booted or take a 40% pay cut. This is Fleck's last season of security. Interest in the program is going to plummet, as it should. If Fleck doesn't get back to what he was prior to 2020 bring in someone who reflects the culture of MN better. No nonsense, tough and a smart football coach. Someone like a Lance Leipold. That NC team is not very good and MN lost to them at home.

Coming into Year 7 (if you don't count Year 0) it does appear our HC is a one-trick gopher when it comes to the basic offensive philosophy.

Both elite and evolve start with "e." Can't really be the first if you don't demonstrate the second.

We are hobbled on offense without a true stud RB in the game. Injuries at that position really magnify our other issues, including offensive philosophy too.

In this respect the disappointment from last night's event is very real and should command the attention of the AD.

Gm Gopher Sports,

Thank you,
Arminius in New Ulm
Isn't it possible to email Mark Coyle directly to express your dissatisfaction? He and Fleck deserve it.

Coming into Year 7 (if you don't count Year 0) it does appear our HC is a one-trick gopher when it comes to the basic offensive philosophy.

Both elite and evolve start with "e." Can't really be the first if you don't demonstrate the second.

We are hobbled on offense without a true stud RB in the game. Injuries at that position really magnify our other issues, including offensive philosophy too.

In this respect the disappointment from last night's event is very real and should command the attention of the AD.
Fleck without Ciarrocca is appearing to be worse than Kill and Mason. Look at his records with and without him, I'm guessing they're not very close.

Gm Gopher Sports,

Thank you,
Arminius in New Ulm
[email protected] email listed for Mark Coyle.

Gm Gopher Sports,

Thank you,
Arminius in New Ulm
You actually think Coyle cares about that?? He's a professional paid LIAR. His job is to use a lot of nice sounding words to make it seem like we're focused on trying to win. When is a 100% FACT that we're not.

Fleck will never successfully hire an established offensive coordinator. We've seen time and again, if a coach comes in without a preexisting background with PJ, they leave within a year or two. He's not lying when he says he's not for everyone. In fact its more accurate to say he's not for most people. If I had a boss with the personality and ego of someone like him, I would run for the hills as soon as I could. The reality is our offensive coordinator will never be anything more than an internal sycophant.

More than most coaches, PJ puts the cult in culture. If you don't drink the kool-aid as a coach or player, you're going to have a bad time.

Last edited:

This is colossally incorrect, the offense has looked way worse under Sanford and Harbaugh. It's atrocious and ranked near the last of 130 teams. Ciarrocca is a night and day better OC.
The offensive scheme and game plan has changed very little over his tenure.

The issue at hand in this very moment is that we're super pissed about the result of last night after last season. Realistically, Fleck has had multiple 8/9+ win seasons with the same boring offense that shells up. He's not being fired for several seasons unless things crater badly. If we beat Iowa again, which is a distinct possibility if the defense plays all season the way it did last night, the result of this game will be forgotten and a lot of us, myself included, will be back on board. Even if the offense is a shackled mess. I don't care how we do it, I just need to see wins.

The offensive gameplan sucks. 100%. But if we won last night most of us are okay with how things went because there's a 1 in the win column and not the loss column. These losses take a lot out of us. I expended way too much time over the summer hoping for a great season, and to start it off with a shit loss on a missed game winning kick sucks ass and takes the wind out of our sails immediately. A 21 point loss would've been way more palatable for us becuase there are way fewer "What ifs." I'm in this purgatory of continued hope for the season combined with a comprehensive feeling of hopelessness based on last night's result.

The continued failures, particularly on offense, make these games hard to watch, but my love for the team and the program and football makes it hard to not watch. It's like a car crash in slow motion. It's tough to be a Gopher fan.

The issue at hand in this very moment is that we're super pissed about the result of last night after last season. Realistically, Fleck has had multiple 8/9+ win seasons with the same boring offense that shells up. He's not being fired for several seasons unless things crater badly. If we beat Iowa again, which is a distinct possibility if the defense plays all season the way it did last night, the result of this game will be forgotten and a lot of us, myself included, will be back on board. Even if the offense is a shackled mess. I don't care how we do it, I just need to see wins.

The offensive gameplan sucks. 100%. But if we won last night most of us are okay with how things went because there's a 1 in the win column and not the loss column. These losses take a lot out of us. I expended way too much time over the summer hoping for a great season, and to start it off with a shit loss on a missed game winning kick sucks ass and takes the wind out of our sails immediately. A 21 point loss would've been way more palatable for us becuase there are way fewer "What ifs." I'm in this purgatory of continued hope for the season combined with a comprehensive feeling of hopelessness based on last night's result.

The continued failures, particularly on offense, make these games hard to watch, but my love for the team and the program and football makes it hard to not watch. It's like a car crash in slow motion. It's tough to be a Gopher fan.

You wrote the exact words that I am feeling, and I suspect many Gopher fans who pay attention...

You actually think Coyle cares about that?? He's a professional paid LIAR. His job is to use a lot of nice sounding words to make it seem like we're focused on trying to win. When is a 100% FACT that we're not.

Easy there pilgrim...I'm not ready to label Coyle as a liar...that's a little strident I think for most of us.

My question from Coyle to PJF however would be this, "Coach, if you were the AD, what would you do with your HC after the UNC game last night?"

Fleck will never successfully hire an established offensive coordinator. We've seen time and again, if a coach comes in without a preexisting background with PJ, they leave within a year or two. He's not lying when he says he's not for everyone. In fact its more accurate to say he's not for most people. If I had a boss with the personality and ego of someone like him, I would run for the hills as soon as I could. The reality is our offensive coordinator will never be anything more than an internal sycophant.

More than most coaches, PJ puts the cult in culture. If you don't drink the kool-aid as a coach or player, you're going to have a bad time.
He dresses nice, don’t you think? 😉

The offensive scheme and game plan has changed very little over his tenure.
Who develops the game plan, who coaches the QB and offense and who calls the plays makes a huge difference. What plays you call, when you call them, the pace of how you call them throughout the game.

He dresses nice, don’t you think? 😉
From a distance it looked like last night Coach was M-M-M I do believe in color coordination attire.

He should go in Full Banana as penance for last night's offensive scheme, even without Darius.

Come to think of it, have we ever seen Coach as Full Banana? Fashion police where are you?

I know it will do nothing, but I also emailed Gophersports urging them to invest the $$ needed to attract recruits and coaching.
What money? It isn’t as if the gopher AD is sitting on a war chest of money. Haven’t you seen his comments lately expressing concern about how to pay for upcoming expenses due to recent NCAA settlements?

Easy there pilgrim...I'm not ready to label Coyle as a liar...that's a little strident I think for most of us.

My question from Coyle to PJF however would be this, "Coach, if you were the AD, what would you do with your HC after the UNC game last night?"
I've known for a long time that our administration wants to lose. But I thought it might still be possible that Coyle himself might do what he can to win as best as possible.

But when Coyle started talking this basketball off-season...about how he's researching how to win in this new dynamic...how he's right on top of it, focused like a laser, embracing the challenges...I knew he was full of crap.

What money? It isn’t as if the gopher AD is sitting on a war chest of money. Haven’t you seen his comments lately expressing concern about how to pay for upcoming expenses due to recent NCAA settlements?
Part of Coyle's job must be reshaping how the University and the Regents have approached athletics funding. Especially in light of all the changes in the last year, including power 5 schools being allowed to pay students directly.
When you consider the massive TV rights deals and flood of new money the BIG is now seeing, it seems natural to assume Gopher football should be seeing some increased revenue by virtue of expanded conference and tv rights.
This is all from my armchair position - and I realize i'm simplifying things a lot. But at a fundamental level, shouldn't we have a lot more cash in the near future?

look, firing the OC changes nothing if the Head Coach is still micro-managing the offense and keeping his thumb on the scale.

this is Fleck's team. he provides the operating philosophy on offense and defense. and it certainly appears as if he gives the DC a little more latitude in developing schemes and systems, because that is not his area of expertise.

but Fleck - a former WR - is an offensive guy and I don't think he allows his OC the same level of freedom in designing or executing a game plan.

even if Fleck went out and hired some innovative offensive mind, is Fleck really going to allow that person to have free reign? Nope. there is nothing in his track record to suggest that.

You can fine the OC every week. the Head Coach is still going to be there on the headset telling the OC to play it safe.

Gm Gopher Sports,

Thank you,
Arminius in New Ulm
Arminius, the Gopher OC is Varus.

Top Bottom